Finally! Oils & Filters Selected for 89 & 92 Corvettes!

89 has a L98 engine and sees everything from road trips to autox and track days.
Oil = Mobil 1 15w50, Filter = Fram Titanium FS5

92 has a Lingenfelter LT1 engine, it also sees autox and track days, and it may have a road trip in its future!
Oil = Mobil 1 Supercar 5w50, Filter = Fram Titanium FS3980
IMG_7264.jpeg

I live in Roanoke VA, weather is generally mild to hot, these are hobby cars. While I’ve always loved cars, working on them and motorsports - I bicycle commute and don’t use any car as a “daily”.

I was using Mobil 1 10w40 w Lucas oil stabilizer to get the 18 V@100c that I want. Many *many* BITOG members urged / shamed me to just use a higher viscosity oil and ditch the Lucas. So I’m trying just that for these next OCIs. I’ll let you know how it goes!

IMG_6266.jpeg

IMG_6977.jpeg

89 has a L98 engine and sees everything from road trips to autox and track days.
Oil = Mobil 1 15w50, Filter = Fram Titanium FS5

92 has a Lingenfelter LT1 engine, it also sees autox and track days, and it may have a road trip in its future!
Oil = Mobil 1 Supercar 5w50, Filter = Fram Titanium FS3980
View attachment 166849

I live in Roanoke VA, weather is generally mild to hot, these are hobby cars. While I’ve always loved cars, working on them and motorsports - I bicycle commute and don’t use any car as a “daily”.

I was using Mobil 1 10w40 w Lucas oil stabilizer to get the 18 V@100c that I want. Many *many* BITOG members urged / shamed me to just use a higher viscosity oil and ditch the Lucas. So I’m trying just that for these next OCIs. I’ll let you know how it goes!

View attachment 166850
View attachment 166854
Wow! VERY nice Vettes!

I am interested in the UOA as well on the thick oil. I do not think a 50wt oil is required simply because synthetics do not break down like a conventional oil. Just my opinion.

I used to have a 87 and a 88 Iroc-z, both with L98 engine. I remember the L98 Corvette being very quick out of the box at the time...my 87 iroc was no joke with only few mods! The 1st gear on these 4spd auto is ridiculous low and generate lots of torque.

10w30 and CT filters served me good back then.

FWIW @Robvette you should try AC Delco filters. Those are OEM GM filters and made for your application.

Just my $0.02
AC Delco is a very good filter. It’s 98% efficient at 25-30 microns.

The Fram Titanium is 99+% efficient at 20 microns.

It’s not a huge difference - but cleaner oil is better for long-term performance optimization.

I am interested in the UOA as well on the thick oil. I do not think a 50wt oil is required simply because synthetics do not break down like a conventional oil. Just my opinion.
30 weight oils are specd in high performance V8s of this era to try to hit CAFE fuel economy targets.

For optimal performance, protection and longevity … 40 or 50 weight oils are best.

Both of these engines have over 100,000 miles, which also supports bumping up the viscosity.

AC Delco is a very good filter. It’s 98% efficient at 25-30 microns.

The Fram Titanium is 99+% efficient at 20 microns.

It’s not a huge difference - but cleaner oil is better for long-term performance optimization.

I thought AC filters were the same as MP Supertech filters? Well made but I didn’t think they were that efficient?

Me as well.
It's just a 90's LT1.
Pretty confused
In 1997 this 1992 Corvette was brought to Lingenfelter. 2 months and $15,000 1992 dollars later it came back with a pretty special LT1. The oil Lingenfelter filled it with was a 10w40 weight. A fine oil. In my estimation, for the now 26 year old engine that still sees track and autocross use, Supercar 5w50 seems like the best of the best options for performance and optimizing protection of this very special engine.

IMG_1494.jpeg

IMG_2232.jpeg

In 1997 this 1992 Corvette was brought to Lingenfelter. 2 months and $15,000 1992 dollars later it came back with a pretty special LT1. The oil Lingenfelter filled it with was a 10w40 weight. A fine oil. In my estimation, for the now 26 year old engine that still sees track and autocross use, Supercar 5w50 seems like the best of the best options for performance and optimizing protection of this very special engine.

View attachment 167053
View attachment 167054
I stand corrected.
Kudos:)

I used to have a 87 and a 88 Iroc-z, both with L98 engine. I remember the L98 Corvette being very quick out of the box at the time...my 87 iroc was no joke with only few mods! The 1st gear on these 4spd auto is ridiculous low and generate lots of torque.

10w30 and CT filters served me good back then.
No joke, eh? It was as fast as today's F-150s (see below). Blistering. Toss a $400 tune & a $1600 HPFP in the Eco and there's 4.5 seconds between the truck and IROC.

All kidding aside, the Camaro body with IROC ground FX did look pretty darn good though. I'd project car a hardtop and put an LSA/10L80 in it, for sure. I'd paint it Atlantic Blue and do a Katzkin leather package for the interior.

1689472996651.jpg

1689473074334.jpg

I don't know if people shamed as much as they tried to tell you the Lucas isn't worth using.
This is BITOG in 2023.

#believelubricators

Wasn't Lucas the one who had the displays at all of the parts houses? Some little plastic gears you could spin around? "YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No joke, eh? It was as fast as today's F-150s (see below). Blistering. Toss a $400 tune & a $1600 HPFP in the Eco and there's 4.5 seconds between the truck and IROC.

All kidding aside, the Camaro body with IROC ground FX did look pretty darn good though. I'd project car a hardtop and put an LSA/10L80 in it, for sure. I'd paint it Atlantic Blue and do a Katzkin leather package for the interior.

View attachment 167211
View attachment 167212

Being faster than circa 99% of production cars in '87 or '88, yea, the 5.7 TPI was no joke. Compare it to an '88 F150 with a 351 if you want to do apples to apples. Amazing what 25+ years of technological progress can do. Now is a pick up truck worth north of $50K for a non-commercial user? In my case no.

Back