Mobil 1 15W50

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Grabbed some to try at the track later this year.

OilReports-page-001.jpg

very popular years when it was real synthetic PAO. my friend a ducati guy dealer noticed when it was NOT the same as they reformulated after Castrol won the "synthetic" battle. still a good oil with lots of zinc i see + although not on shelves at my Wallys easily ordered for a great price.

very popular years when it was real synthetic PAO. my friend a ducati guy dealer noticed when it was NOT the same as they reformulated after Castrol won the "synthetic" battle. still a good oil with lots of zinc i see + although not on shelves at my Wallys easily ordered for a great price.
Hi, just curious what your friend noticed?

I was a Castrol Syntec fan until that issue broke, then switched to M1, then.... But the whole issue did sour me on Castrol for a while.

Honestly, I've grown to be less concerned w/ the 'real' syn question over time, at least with the mainstream brands. Looking at this VOA as an example, flash point, additives, etc., this appears to be a great oil no matter what the base.

Won the synthetic battle?

Won the synthetic battle?

IIRC and grossly over simplified. If anyone is better informed, please correct me.

Back in the Dark Ages, both Castrol Syntec and Mobil 1 were supposedly made of mostly PAO basestocks. Castrol intended to use less costly Grp III basestocks, while continuing to claim "synthetic". Mobil appealed to the FTC(?) claiming that Grp III basestocks were not synthetic, however the FTC(?) essentially OK'd the use of the term "synthetic" for oils w/ the less costly basestocks. Mobil then supposedly transitioned to the less costly basestocks.

Did it matter then? Maybe. Now with advances in technology? I am not so sure. I am curious as to what was actually observed then.

The whole Group III vs Group IV PAO debate needs to be put to rest. Group III is superior to PAO in the conditions seen in daily drivers with better additive response, better solubility, and lubricity, as well as rivaling PAO in pour point, volatility, and oxidation stability. Even in extreme racing engines (NASCAR Cup Engines, for example), there's no benefit to using the more expensive PAO as a majority base oil and are actually seeing less wear with majority Group III despite the oil cooking at 350*F for 500 miles straight.

There's really only 2 applications where using high concentrations of PAO is desirable. One is when you need really good cold starting performance, in CCS and MRV, such as a 0w-20 or 0w-16 in an engine in an Alaskan winter. The other is when you need a high VI without much VII to ensure good shear stability in high load applications. It's reasonable to say that >95% of daily commuters out there will not encounter either situation.

The whole Group III vs Group IV PAO debate needs to be put to rest. Group III is superior to PAO in the conditions seen in daily drivers with better additive response, better solubility, and lubricity, as well as rivaling PAO in pour point, volatility, and oxidation stability. Even in extreme racing engines (NASCAR Cup Engines, for example), there's no benefit to using the more expensive PAO as a majority base oil and are actually seeing less wear with majority Group III despite the oil cooking at 350*F for 500 miles straight.

There's really only 2 applications where using high concentrations of PAO is desirable. One is when you need really good cold starting performance, in CCS and MRV, such as a 0w-20 or 0w-16 in an engine in an Alaskan winter. The other is when you need a high VI without much VII to ensure good shear stability in high load applications. It's reasonable to say that >95% of daily commuters out there will not encounter either situation.
Not really. One knows exactly when a lot of PAO is used looking at pour point.
VISOM M1 0W40 had a pour point of some -45c, while Castrol 0W40 had at that time -61c. GTL? Maybe. But even then for example, BMW sourced 0W40 M oil from SOPUS that unlike SOPUS version was actually majority PAO.

IIRC and grossly over simplified. If anyone is better informed, please correct me.

Back in the Dark Ages, both Castrol Syntec and Mobil 1 were supposedly made of mostly PAO basestocks. Castrol intended to use less costly Grp III basestocks, while continuing to claim "synthetic". Mobil appealed to the FTC(?) claiming that Grp III basestocks were not synthetic, however the FTC(?) essentially OK'd the use of the term "synthetic" for oils w/ the less costly basestocks. Mobil then supposedly transitioned to the less costly basestocks.

Did it matter then? Maybe. Now with advances in technology? I am not so sure. I am curious as to what was actually observed then.
In Germany still has to be above 75%.

Not really. One knows exactly when a lot of PAO is used looking at pour point.
VISOM M1 0W40 had a pour point of some -45c, while Castrol 0W40 had at that time -61c. GTL? Maybe. But even then for example, BMW sourced 0W40 M oil from SOPUS that unlike SOPUS version was actually majority PAO.

"
A modern Group III oil can actually outperform a PAO in several areas important to lubricants, such as additive solubility, lubricity and antiwear performance. Group III base oils can now rival PAO stocks in pour point, viscosity index and oxidation stability performance. Some of the key measures for finished lubricant performance where Group III must compete with Group IV include:

"
A modern Group III oil can actually outperform a PAO in several areas important to lubricants, such as additive solubility, lubricity and antiwear performance. Group III base oils can now rival PAO stocks in pour point, viscosity index and oxidation stability performance. Some of the key measures for finished lubricant performance where Group III must compete with Group IV include:

Yet, Castrol 5W40 constantly has a bigger drop in a flashpoint, higher shear etc. than 0W40 which is PAO-based.
I would say that what matters is a combination of various base stocks. In M1 0W40 you can fine PAO, GTL, and Esters.

Why 15W-50 over the Porsche-approved 5W-50?
No idea - in retrospect I should have done either the M1 5W50 or Liquimoly Molygen 5W50 - this seems way overkill...ahhaha

Back