Mobil 1 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally saw Mobil 1 0W-16 at Walmart. The price was the usual $25.XX for a 5-qt jug.

This was timely because my friend's 2018 Camry XSE 2.5L specifies 0W-16 and it was due for an oil change.

As expected, the new Mobil 1 0W-16 poured "like water" but it probably is not much different at room temp than 0W-20.

I did take a sample of the old oil (which was Toyota 0W-16 with 8,630 miles) and will be posting the UOA results once it becomes available.

8379444B-E3A8-4E3A-B156-B6C22E47AF78.jpeg

2BA673A6-1459-4DAF-95B0-25440B9092CF.jpeg

Felt odd pouring 0w-16 into a 18 camry for the first time. It was and every time I have is TGMO , most of the guys I work with didnt give it a second look lol.

M1 0W-16 is PAO-based -- vollsynthetische motoröl. TGMO 0W-16, also by Exxon Mobil, is GTL-based, so not vollsynthetische.

Since, in addition to being a PAO-based vollsynthetisch, it's also cheap at Walmart, definitely go with M1 unless you get the TGMO for free.

Originally Posted by billt460
Hopefully my Wal-Mart will be getting some in. Right now I'm running 0W-20 Mobil 1 in my 2018 2.5L Camry. It will be ready for it's Spring oil change next month.

Arizona in the summer ... that sounds perfect weather for keeping 0W-20 in it.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Hopefully my Wal-Mart will be getting some in. Right now I'm running 0W-20 Mobil 1 in my 2018 2.5L Camry. It will be ready for it's Spring oil change next month.

grin2.gif

Truth! I don't trust this water oil. I'm going to stick with heavy 0w-20!

Also , there is a Supertech branded 0w-16 available

grin2.gif

Actually the manual states that for hot weather operation you can run 0W-20.

I'm waiting on the Singer OEM certification for this oil.................that's Singer Sewing.

Last edited:
The question that needs to be asked is: When developing an oil spec for an engine, are the manufacturer's interests and the consumer's interests the same?

(Cheat sheet: The answer is no.)

A peak inside the Toyota board room meeting:

Executive: Do you see any issue with using this new 0w16 oil?
Engineer: Eh should be fine.

The average new BITOG posters view of new product development.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
I'm waiting on the Singer OEM certification for this oil.................that's Singer Sewing.

Well, let's see. M1 0w-16 oil is 7.4 cSt at 100C. Since you're taking the liberty of looking at oil for other types of machinery (sewing machines for you -- you into sewing?), I'll take the same liberty and take a look at the one of the baseline standards for jet engine oil, MIL-L-23699 (that was the oil for normal and hot temps when I was flying in the Marines). Depending upon who's making the particular oil, it is only about 5.0 cSt at 100C. During those years, I had a couple failures and shut-downs, but none EVER related to the oil (nor obviously its horrible thin-ness...).

No, no, don't start with the, "jet engines are different..." stuff -- you're throwing out "sewing machine oil" fer cryin' out loud. Ha, ha. We've seen what occasional engineering disasters do to car makers and with the internet, the vast amounts of bad publicity that follows such episodes. Fifteen-plus years ago, it was the two Toyota "sludgemaker" engines, that people are STILL talking about (somewhat) today. Now, Honda is going through it with the fuel dilution disaster afflicting its widely used 1.5L Turbo engine. That's a nightmare, with blogs, websites, class-action lawsuits, CHINESE consumer protection authorities issuing a stop-sales order, and so on.

And now look!!! Thousands of consumers with new and middle age cars are finding their internals melted down because of using 20wt oils! Sixty-Minutes is doing an expose' on the dangers of corruptly specified 0w-16 and 20 oils! There are now over a hundred blogs and websites formed by and serving owners of cars whose engines were ruined by 16 and 20 wt oil!!! There are dozens of class action law-suits against Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford and others for corruptly requiring the use of 16 and 20 wt oils!!! Consumer protection authorities in many states have recently ordered Mobil and others to stop selling these oils because of the many engine failures!!!

Oh wait, that's right -- none of these things have happened. . . Obviously, higher vis oils have their legitimate place, but fer cryin' out loud, Xw-20 oils have been in common use for over 20 years now, the 16s in Japan for at least a decade, and Xw-8 oils are in use as well. Twenty years now.

Originally Posted by Miller88

grin2.gif

Truth! I don't trust this water oil. I'm going to stick with heavy 0w-20!

Also , there is a Supertech branded 0w-16 available

Everyone did the same thing when Xw20 came out. Too thin, this this that, the sky is falling. I'm quite excited to see how this stuff pans out

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OFFRD
The question that needs to be asked is: When developing an oil spec for an engine, are the manufacturer's interests and the consumer's interests the same?
(Cheat sheet: The answer is no.)

I'm sure that Toyota is just itching to have a repeat of the late 90s/early 2000s "Sludgemaker" debacle. And Honda is earnestly looking for another engine to join the 1.5L Turbo in the "Disastrous Fuel Diluter" Hall of Shame. Yep, wide-spread hosing-over of customers, that's the way to bring back repeat buyers, and ensure long-term business success!

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by PimTac
According to the SDS, AFE 0w16 is 70-80% PAO and 10-20% GTL

Sounds like the makings of a reliable, robust and durable oil.

I would agree and thanks for injecting some common sense in this thread. It's been the same squawking since 5w30 became the norm. Too thin! Too thin!!

I'm curious as to why Mobil only uses a pao base stock in their 0W20 and 0W16 oils while using group three base stocks in all their others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back