Mobil 0w-16, 9,700 miles, 2019 Toyota Camry, 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder Dynamic Force

This is a nice report for a great engine. Used a Fram Ultra filter, an 8 month interval with 60% highway, 40%city and short trips. For all the too thin naysayers and 5k with synthetic oil changers, this report hopefully will open some eyes. Toyota factory recommended oil change interval of 10k, 1 year seems to work great for my application. Not trying to start a war here but maybe with some more results like these, the 10k interval will become more accepted. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220311_223740.jpg
    20220311_223740.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 893
Hmmm… I wonder where the copper is coming from. 🤔

You couldn’t have waiting another 300 miles for that magical 10k mark?

• Haha
Reactions: a5m
There can be nothing but praise for that report.

10k miles is a no-brainer there. Could easily go further if you wanted to.

I run 10k miles (on dino ST 5w-20) in my gas fleet and get great service from the lubes also, confirmed by UOAs.

OH ... BTW ... only 26 posts since 2010? Dude - that's restraint!

Let's see if it starts consuming oil by the 100K mark if you maintain these intervals.

I had a customer with a 2018 where M1 0W-16 was used at 10-11K intervals since the 30K oil change. 100 mi/day commutes. By the 80K mark, it was consuming about 1 qt every 10K.

Let's see if it starts consuming oil by the 100K mark if you maintain these intervals.

I had a customer with a 2018 where M1 0W-16 was used at 10-11K intervals since the 30K oil change. 100 mi/day commutes. By the 80K mark, it was consuming about 1 qt every 10K.

A quart every 10k?! How is that considered serious oil consumption on a 4 year old engine with 80k miles on it? Sure it’d be great if it burned zero but… a half a quart in 5k miles is well within acceptable usage for most auto manufacturers. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A quart every 10k?! How is that considered serious oil consumption on a 4 year old engine with 80k miles on it? Sure it’d be great if it burned zero but… a half a quart in 5k miles is well within acceptable usage for most auto manufacturers. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It is certainly an acceptable level of oil consumption, but could this have been prevented with more frequent oil changes? My bet is yes...

Well, I plan on keeping the car for 10-15 years so I'll let you know as I DO plan to keep the 10K/1 year interval for the life of the car. So 1 quart added usage for every 10k for every 100k miles, would be a quart every 5k miles at 200k and a quart at every 2500 miles at 300k. FYI, it doesn't use ANY oil now between 10k intervals, actually the first vehicle I have ever owned that I can say that about. I can live with the numbers above, even if it is true but I guess we will see.........................:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

FYI, here is a post of a engine with extended drain intervals at over 200k now with no oil consumption between changes.

Well, I plan on keeping the car for 10-15 years so I'll let you know as I DO plan to keep the 10K/1 year interval for the life of the car. So 1 quart added usage for every 10k for every 100k miles, would be a quart every 5k miles at 200k and a quart at every 2500 miles at 300k. FYI, it doesn't use ANY oil now between 10k intervals, actually the first vehicle I have ever owned that I can say that about. I can live with the numbers above, even if it is true but I guess we will see.........................:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Good run but I think 5.72 exit vis is too low for longevity. If you changed it more frequently, the exit vis would be higher. I understand it's a 16w spec. I would look for a thicker 16w. JMO......I'm not a "thick" guy. Good luck with it.

Very impressive. I'm not a "thickie", but 0w16 is hard to wrap my head around. If I had a Toyota that required 0w16 I'd likely run it, but change at 5K miles. That is irrelevant though as I don't own one.

Good UOA, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: FZ1

That's anecdotal.

We've all got success and failure stories. My 2005 MGM went 240k miles on 10k miles OCIs (sold after a wreck). At 200k miles, it needed a new intake manifold due to coolant leaks. I took the valve covers off at the time just due to curiosity. Perfectly clean inside. Never consumed significant oil. Never much blow by. That 4.6L didn't mind the long OCIs one darn bit. Great wear; no issues.

The thing about cars that have sludge and oil consumption issues is that they are often a result of design compromises or problems. Some engines can tolerate long OCIs; some can't. You cannot fairly say that all cars will suffer the same fate; that's patently false. You're painting with a brush too broad.

10k oil changes on 0W-16? Would anyone want to buy a used car if original owner did that. I certantly wouldn't. Luckily carfax's show the date/mileage of each oil change, so these kinds of cars can prudently be avoided in the used car market.

10k oil changes on 0W-16? Would anyone want to buy a used car if original owner did that. I certantly wouldn't. Luckily carfax's show the date/mileage of each oil change, so these kinds of cars can prudently be avoided in the used car market.
How do you figure? none of my oil changes would show up on carfax. 5k or 10k, 5W30 or what have you.

With so little zinc/phos, there has to be wear going on.

With so little zinc/phos, there has to be wear going on.
But where? The_Critic indicates oil burning, which I'd think was ring related. But engines these days don't seem to wear the cross-hatch very much--rings might lose tension and/or get stuck. Neither of which is wear related.

Back