Mixing Oil to top off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Chevy 5.3 gets a 5 qt jug of Valvoline HM 10w30 in its 6 qt sump and 1 qt of NAPA 5w30 synthetic I bought on sale at every OCI. Simply because I refuse to buy 1 qt of the Valvoline at $6 a qt to finish filling the sump. I’ve done this for years and my truck just rolled over 226,000 miles and runs as good as it ever has with no oil consumption. Yes, I could buy 2 jugs of the HM 10w30 and have a partial jug sitting on the shelf for years but I just don’t.

My Chevy 5.3 gets a 5 qt jug of Valvoline HM 10w30 in its 6 qt sump and 1 qt of NAPA 5w30 synthetic I bought on sale at every OCI. Simply because I refuse to buy 1 qt of the Valvoline at $6 a qt to finish filling the sump. I’ve done this for years and my truck just rolled over 226,000 miles and runs as good as it ever has with no oil consumption. Yes, I could buy 2 jugs of the HM 10w30 and have a partial jug sitting on the shelf for years but I just don’t.
Our GS350 F Sport (not aneconobox by any means) specs 0w20. Last time it got a jug of 5w20 and a quart of 0w20. The shame!

Engines damaged by adding a make up quart of different oil.
Didn’t say engines would be damaged.

I did say that oil performance could be degraded.

Ask Molakule. Ask HPL.

With just a slight tweak in chemistry, it sometimes happens that the oil foams up, or changes pour point, of viscosity, or fails any number of the required tests.

It’s degraded, in other words.

But you really have no way of knowing if that happens in your engine because you can’t see and can’t test the performance of the resulting mix.

You might be fine.

You might not.

But don't all oils basically have "ALL" the same stuff in them? You know, boron, zinc etc??? Now if one oil has moon dust in it, that might not work.

Ask Molakule. Ask HPL.

With just a slight tweak in chemistry, it sometimes happens that the oil foams up, or changes pour point, of viscosity, or fails any number of the required tests.

But you really have no way of knowing if that happens in your engine because you can’t see and can’t test the performance of the resulting mix.

You might be fine.

You might not.
Agree that the chemistries are mixed and therefore changed. That does not necessarily mean degraded; it may be improved. Or it may be insignificant.
I personally have seen no problem, especially as compared to running an engine with severly low oil level.
As this happens every day, millions of times, I fail to see a problem.
Of course I could be wrong. It would be interesting to see data, repeatable data, showing specific problems.

I sometimes mix a qt of 5w30 into the 0w20 (Honda, 4.5 qt total, often Frankenbrew) at oil change. So far no problems after 100k+ miles.

Last edited:

Not saying it's causing damage, however while I'd mix oils (and don't lose sleep over)
when I either have nothing different on hand or want to use leftover oil in my garage,
I wouldn't do this by intention and buy different oils to mix them from the beginning.

I always have a spare qt of the same oil I do oil changes with, but haven't had to use it. :D

Think about what one would need to know to answer this, and you'll realize practically no one can answer it legitimately.
Agreed, except possibly if you consider there seems to be no studies showing a problem using a different top off oil.
I have never seen an owners manual saying not to do so, but that does not mean one does not exist.

Ask Molakule. Ask HPL.

You might be fine.

You might not.
Astro, question for you. If there were a meaningful issue, don't you think there would be a warning printed on the oil container, or perhaps on an engine's oil fill?

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Do people analyze the food and drinks they put into their bodies to this same degree... Or do they just shovel all kinds of overly processed, sugary garbage down their gullet with reckless abandonment...
The issues related to refined sugar are well documented.
Mixing motor oil, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back