Missed items on a PDI (used car purchase)

My friend got a "blue advantage" Taurus sho last year and they either missed or didn't fix a few things on the passenger front suspension. They still made him pay half of the repair bill.

PDI on a used car is wishful thinking, When I worked at dealers....PDI's were for new vehicles only, CPO vehicles got a good inspection & issues corrected.

Most used trade-in's that didn't meet CPO standards & didn't go straight to auction......Got detailed, Ran thought Express for an oil change & put up for sale.

Certified and PDI is a marketing tool.

Even at a Lexus dealer, certified pre owned is only as good as the person inspecting the vehicle.
How many guys doing a pre inspection bother to check the spare tire air pressure as an example?
I worked for a fork lift dealership and the forklift namufacturer paid us 3 hours labor to do a PDI inspection list. The main branch was supposed to do the PDI . I don't know what the people in the shop did for the 3 hours but it wasn't the PDI. I would go over a new forklift when ever I went on the first service call and the management never questioned it. Wheels would fall off the forlkifts. You could see a wrench was never put on the lug nuts.

I worked for a fork lift dealership and the forklift namufacturer paid us 3 hours labor to do a PDI inspection list. The main branch was supposed to do the PDI . I don't know what the people in the shop did for the 3 hours but it wasn't the PDI. I would go over a new forklift when ever I went on the first service call and the management never questioned it. Wheels would fall off the forlkifts. You could see a wrench was never put on the lug nuts.
Reminds me of when I took my Lexus to Toyota for a state inspection (tried to in my head think they’ll treat the car better yeah right and it was $76 instead of $43 like at BMW). They did a free multipoint too. Instead of $6700 needed per Lexus, all was good and everything was checked off, including the clutch fluid. Well it’s been 7 years since, I reckon I better check the clutch fluid again. I hear clutch fluid is hard to access on the LS430, so not looking forward to it.

Back in the 7.3 diesel days I worked with a welder who bought a low mileage used F450. Later they tried to deny some work because it was chipped. He had no idea and thus he had purchased it from them that way.

He was not the kind of guy you mess around with and they believed him (as did I) and made it right. Still, I thought that was a major oversight for a Ford dealer, esp given how common modding those diesels ('99-02) was.

I bought a used Honda (from a Nissan dealer) back in September.
Here are hits and misses from the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection):

Hits: New oil, all filters (air, oil, cabin) new battery. NAPA parts. All safety inspections done (lights, tires and so on), legitimate. They did an absolutely stellar recon job - I saw the car before and it was truly amazing. Salesman said it was a $299 value and I believed him.

Misses: On the way home the entire under shield fell off, not just the oil change access portion (plastic clips broken). So that night I had to rig that back together. Rear window washer fluid didn't work. By the time I found out it was winter so I just only recently fixed it and it was not great to have to go through a winter with slop always on the back glass. Moonroof inoperable. That one they fixed and they did it willingly. I wasn't about to pull the headliner, so I didn't mess with it.

For sure this is not a certified Lexus and I was not expecting the gold treatment but I feel as if I basically bought a car wholesale. What about your experience?
Those of you who bought a certified (or regular) used car, was it 100% perfect?
Truthfully, it sounds like this dealer went further than most. I understand how you feel, but it’s important to be realistic about the time and effort put into each vehicle. With used vehicles, regardless of cost or age, I’ve almost always had little things here and there I had to get fixed right out of the dealers lot.

The dealers are not going through the cars with a fine tooth comb. The idea is to perform basic maintenance, repair major mechanical problems, and send it down the road. Just the way it is. Not saying it’s right, though.

Last edited:
Truthfully, it sounds like this dealer went further than most. I understand how you feel, but it’s important to be realistic about the time and effort put into each vehicle. With used vehicles, regardless of cost or age, I’ve almost always had little things here and there I had to get fixed right out of the dealers lot.

The dealers are not going through the cars with a fine tooth comb. The idea is to perform basic maintenance, repair major mechanical problems, and send it down the road. Just the way it is. Not saying it’s right, though.
The only used car I bought from a new car dealer ($14k) was my bad. I didn’t do any inspection at all since I wanted this Florida no accident car.

Took delivery and brakes pulsated and driver door actuator broken. Didn’t notice smart key not working.

The used car salesman was useless.

I called the service department of Buick GMC and felt it was hopeless (dealt with them in my area they s***).

The dealer replaced the front brakes with Lexus OE to include sensor and caliper bolts.

Had to come back for the door actuator. Here it is 7 years later and actuator still works and I did pads only 1x. Wish that Buick GMC were in phila but it’s in Westchester NY

Kinda weird to have that positive outcome as I fully admit I was eager to get this car as it looked great and was from FLA

I bought my Rogue and all seemed well. However, it was originally sold in Canada, and some swapped in a junk car gauge cluster that was US spec.
Suddenly I found myself flying around everywhere wondering why everyone was driving so slow. I’m accused of driving like a farmer, so something was off.

After popping in my Garmin GPS, I found the US cluster was way off. A call to the dealer I purchased it from led to a $1500 cluster swap at the Nissan dealership at the selling dealerships cost.

They also decided to try and buff out a scratch I pointed out and burned the clear coat. I lived with that as it didn’t stand out.

I think they just washed it and changed the oil before putting up the ad. Why do more? It was 2022 and they had the upper hand.

Dealers are worse when it comes to the PDI. I tell them remove cost or allow me to carry it to a shop and have them do it. If they find something that wasn't done on pdi then dealer eats it and if PDI was removed, I eat it. Dealer most of the time will remove PDI reluctantly.

PDI's are a "feel good" piece of paper. 9 times out of 10 the PDI was never completed, (All boxes were checked "pass") and the vehicle was lightly cleaned and listed...
You have to do your own inspections and test drives before purchase, and DO NOT relay on the PDI expecting a "GOOD" Vehicle.

The only one that counts really is certified backed by an auto maker as they will address (missed) items thru a typically bumper to bumper warranty. They also give a route for buy back. Otherwise meaning varies greatly.

PDI works as intended. Selling to a customer ? Get Mr McGoo to inspect it. We buying it on trade in? Get the subatomic microscope.
My co-worker bought a used dealer certified jeep. I got on his case right away and had him take it to an independent mechanic. Luckily he was within 3 day period to return it.

No, but many dealer will try to make you feel that way. Some private sellers do it too.
Sounds like your dealer has something to hide. If you brag about your 300 point super duper inspection and get all uncomfortable when someone else checks your work that is a big red flag.

The PDI should be done by the buyer or an independent shop/mechanic of buyers choosing.
But most think it’s “rude” to do that as it shows they don’t trust the seller.
I have enough of a relationship with my car salesman at Nissan/Honda that he lets me take the cars I’m looking at home. My Camry got a very thorough inspection by me in my garage.

I kept saying “Someone is going to get a really well maintained car,” and decided it would be me on the drive back. That car has been fantastic.

The minivan I bought in January with no inspection, but a thorough dealer inspection, has had issues. Some of that is because it’s a Chrysler, however.

If you have been listening to CarEdge lately, they have been talking about things like certified vehicles having up to 150K miles, and they found one that another certified vehicle that had been wrecked 3 times.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
It depends on the dealership culture. The first dealership I worked for paid 3.5 hours to the tech for a CPO inspection. We were expected to check everything on Ford’s 4 page sheet but we were paid a time where that was absolutely possible.

When that dealership was bought out by a chain it was cut to .9 and we were told it’s the same inspection as any other car. When some techs pushed back we were told we were lucky to be getting paid because it’s basically the same as the complimentary multi points that techs were not paid to do.

I started a poop show that escalated all the way to the owner on a CPO truck we got from a sister store. They wanted me to just put pencil to the CPO sheet since the other store had already certified it once and I’d get flagged for it anyway. I said no and did an actual inspection. Found the HMSL leaking water into the cab and rear defrost inoperative. Our service manager sent the bill for a new back glass and repairing the leak to that other store. Their GM refused to pay it. His stance was if we’d have just sent it through the CPO warranty would have covered it(which is warranty fraud). Owner sided with the other store and our service department had to eat that repair cost.

Moral of that story is if you find a good dealership stick with them. Most only care about low price, buy from the big chain franchises and then wonder why they can’t get good service anymore. None of that kind of crap would have happened under the previous owner. His reputation around the town meant too much to him. He would not have wanted people talking of how he treated customers or employees poorly. Unfortunately for his employees and customers he retired and sold the business.

Back