mileage vs months for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a dumb question: 2011 VW Golf. VW's recommendation for OCI is 15,000km. I drive about 7 to 8000km per year. I presume I should change out my oil at 12 months because waiting to hit 15,000km would be too long?

I don't want to debate the recommended OCI. From what I've seen, 15,000 km is just fine. I want to know if I should be doing every 12 months considering my yearly mileage.
Of course I will use full synthetic for every change.
thanks

i date the recommended oci all the time.
if you're using synthetic then once a year is fine.
Remember you have to take into account condensation and most filters can't go 15k

Originally Posted By: EricF
and most filters can't go 15k

VW filters can go 15K km easily. Actually, I would say most filters can.

As far as OCI, I'd do 1 year as well.

That's what I do as well. I've been driving 5-10k year, and decided to stick with annual OCI with synthetic oil.

I'm not a VW man so I have little knowledge about the Warranty. I'd refer to the manual just in case to double check if there is a 15km/6mo. type of service recommendation or (last resort) call a service tech to be sure. I would be concerned with the warranty aspect. It is perfectly fine doing 1/y OC's but make sure it's in the book. Once out of warranty you can do whatever you like. Almost
wink.gif

Last edited:
Based on these comments, I will do OCI at 12 months or about 8,000km.
It will be too early by mileage but at least there won't be any warranty concerns.

Thanks for the advice.

You can check the oil life in the MFD. It will go off at 10,000 miles or one year in service. The one year service starts when the dealer PDI's the car, and not when you bought it.

Hi Folks,

I have a 2008 MB E350 4Matic and the recommended OCI is 12months or 20,000Kms with Mobil 1 M 5W40. I must admit that I am a bit unconfortable to keep oil & filter this long and am thinking to change at 6 months with about 8,000Kms. I am being too cautious?
Your opininon is welcome
Cheers

Originally Posted By: Stermich
Hi Folks,

I have a 2008 MB E350 4Matic and the recommended OCI is 12months or 20,000Kms with Mobil 1 M 5W40. I must admit that I am a bit unconfortable to keep oil & filter this long and am thinking to change at 6 months with about 8,000Kms. I am being too cautious?
Your opininon is welcome
Cheers

Sounds a lot better than annualy
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Stermich
Hi Folks,

Your opininon is welcome
Cheers

You are being too cautious; its not the 1970's anymore. 8,000KM is nothing for that oil...

Thanks Bluestream,

so you think that 1yr or 20,000Kms is Ok as an OCI!
The reason for my query, besides the obvious, is that MB made an error in the trasmission fluid saying that it needed not be changed ever and then after some pretty bad failures, changed it to 1 change at 62,000Kms (39,000 miles) and none after that.
I'm from the old school and these long term lubricants leave some trepidation in me.

If you were going to do 6 months and 8,000Km, wht not one year or 16,000KM? Thats only 10,000 miles per year. Would you have to add any oil in that time?

It depends on the duration of your trips. If it's eight thousand .5km drives, you need to change more often than once a year.

I change 3x a year, based on time, not miles.

I've always changed my oil by mileage or time and never more than 6,000Kms or 6 months and have always used fully synthetic oil. I think that once over the 4 months the oil begins to oxidate (conventional) and 6 months for synthetic. The Subaru dealer (wife's car) says not to go much over 6 months, admittedly it's only Mobil 1 and not Mobil 1 M.
So you can see my quandary.

Once a year w/synth sounds perfect then. Some may do 2 with dino, warranty aside I think that actually is better.

Most modern oil filters are great pieces of engineering--especially Purolator's PureOne, according to a retired engineer who tested ALL brands on the market--but the filtering element can get clogged up, activating the by-pass valve which, in turn, would allow unfiltered oil to circulate around your car's engine. You have to decide your own strategy, dude. Me? I wouldn't risk my '04 350Z's smooth-revvin', sweet, torquey engine at all. I change my oil at 7,500/12-month (whichever happens first) intervals, and only with synthetic oil. A few extra dollars are definitely worth it!

Originally Posted By: Arnaldo
Most modern oil filters are great pieces of engineering--especially Purolator's PureOne, according to a retired engineer who tested ALL brands on the market--

Where do you find this info?

I used to be a "www.my350Z.com" member (had to request to be removed 'cause of the language and attitudes of some members!). There, some retired engineer posted his findings on a personal quest for the best overall oil filter. His conclusion was that PureOne's the one! Greetings!

I shudder to hear that people are leaving that goo in their engines for such long times. Oil does a lot more than just lubricate. It cools, it takes out the trash, so to speak, the byproducts of combustion and every few minutes it carries its load of trash to the filter. Depending on the individual engine, that filter may get loaded up sooner than later.

I drive a car I've not seen mentioned in this thread, a 2009 Suzuki SX4 iAWD. I pound the heck out of my little car, with lots of off-road driving, so I go to the "Severe Usage" section of my Owners Manual, where is states, in no uncertain words, that both the oil and filter should be changed every 3k miles or every three months. No surprise to me, that's exactly what my dealer's Service Manager told me the day I picked up my new SX4.
It's no big deal, because that's what I've been doing with every car I've owned for the past 50 years.

Yes I use dino oil, currently, Castrol GTX 20W50, with a Purolator Classic filter. There is no way in this world or the next that I could afford to replace my engine, so I take as good care of it as humanly possible.
Following my Owners Manual to the letter, as to the maintenance schedule is just the first step.

I actually enjoy the experience of changing my own oil. It also gives me a chance to pull a full PM (Preventive Maintenance Inspection) on my car. I look for leaks, loose parts, any damage to the undercarriage by rocks, etc. I top off all the fluids and check my battery fluid levels.

At 20 months old with 20k miles, my little car still looks like new, both inside and out. Things could go very wrong and I'd never know it, if I only serviced my car once a year. That's ridiculous.

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow (almost 68, in Florida)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back