Oil for Subaru Outback 2.0 diesel

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.0 diesel (EE20 motor). It has 235000km (146000 mls) on the clock. I have been running Ravenol VMP 5W30 up until now. I have recently had the DPF removed (legal here in South Africa) and am wondering if I should change oils, as the ash content isn't as much of an issue now, and if I can save a few bucks without losing the protection it would be great. Also, in a hot country like ours, should I go up to a 5W40 instead? I change oil every 10000 km (6200 mls).

I only heard bad things about that engine, but the few we see here on BITOG seem to be doing well at relatively high mileages.

Same comment about the Honda 2.2 diesel that is (was?) sold in Europe, this is puzzling.

Oh and also +1 for SHU 5W40 or Total Quartz Energy 5W40.

If you change every 10,000km you can use whatever decent 15w-40 that has some certifications. Most have volvo vds 4.5 and that's good enough.

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.0 diesel (EE20 motor). It has 235000km (146000 mls) on the clock. I have been running Ravenol VMP 5W30 up until now. I have recently had the DPF removed (legal here in South Africa) and am wondering if I should change oils, as the ash content isn't as much of an issue now, and if I can save a few bucks without losing the protection it would be great. Also, in a hot country like ours, should I go up to a 5W40 instead? I change oil every 10000 km (6200 mls).
you can get away with a 10w30 in south africa. Shell rotella t5 or mobil delvac

Shell Rimula Ultra 5w30 seems like a good choice, and there's also the Helix Ultra 5w30 too :unsure:

There's nothing wrong with sticking with Ravenol, either.

What does Subaru say to use in the EE20?

Wish they had that engine here in the states
You really don’t.

It’s not very reliable.

As far as oil in the Subaru 2.0 diesel goes as a Low SAPS oil is no longer required why not use Mobil 1 0w40 ?

I believe it’s usually specced with 0w30 or 5w30

Last edited:
I only heard bad things about that engine, but the few we see here on BITOG seem to be doing well at relatively high mileages.

Same comment about the Honda 2.2 diesel that is (was?) sold in Europe, this is puzzling.

I haven’t heard anything particularly bad about the 2.2 Honda diesel engine.

They didn’t sell huge numbers of the diesels, a mate had one for a couple of years and he had zero issues.

His was a 2007 last of the old shape with the spare on the boot.

You really don’t.

It’s not very reliable.

As far as oil in the Subaru 2.0 diesel goes as a Low SAPS oil is no longer required why not use Mobil 1 0w40 ?

I believe it’s usually specced with 0w30 or 5w30

They make a good noise with some exhaust mods though!

They have un-equal length headers so make a classic Boxer type noise.

I haven’t heard anything particularly bad about the 2.2 Honda diesel engine.

They didn’t sell huge numbers of the diesels, a mate had one for a couple of years and he had zero issues.

His was a 2007 last of the old shape with the spare on the boot.

My Uncle and Cousins Husband both had 2.2i-CDTi's. My Uncle had a 2006 Civic and my Cousins Husband had a 2007 Accord. Both had new engines under warranty and both ended up with cracked exhaust manifolds later on in life.

Honda 2.2 was ok, but far behind any European diesel engine of that size in any parameter. Unlike Toyota 2.2 (which you probably confused for) it didn’t disintegrate itself after 100k km.

My Uncle and Cousins Husband both had 2.2i-CDTi's. My Uncle had a 2006 Civic and my Cousins Husband had a 2007 Accord. Both had new engines under warranty and both ended up with cracked exhaust manifolds later on in life.
Generally they were OK. Honda managed to fix stuff, but they were suffering from a lot of infant issues.
Generally Asian manufacturers didn’t do well where a lot of complexity was required. When they entered diesel market in Europe, things were getting out of hand complexity wise, except European manufacturers evolved into that, Asian jumped into it.

Generally they were OK. Honda managed to fix stuff, but they were suffering from a lot of infant issues.
Generally Asian manufacturers didn’t do well where a lot of complexity was required. When they entered diesel market in Europe, things were getting out of hand complexity wise, except European manufacturers evolved into that, Asian jumped into it.

In all fairness to Honda, it was their first diesel and they ended up warrantying them for 7 years or 125k due to the 'teething issues'.

These days GDTi engines are just as complex as their diesel counterparts.

Nah, gasoline don’t have all that emissions plumbing.

They all have EGR's and particulate filters over here now. Just like diesels!

That said, we get few issues with the emissions aspect of diesels in general. I've never had an EGR or DPF related failure.

They all have EGR's and particulate filters over here now. Just like diesels!

That said, we get few issues with the emissions aspect of diesels in general. I've never had an EGR or DPF related failure.
DPF was never an issue per se. But SCR? That is where “the game” is.

DPF was never an issue per se. But SCR? That is where “the game” is.

Little issues with SCR over this side of the pond. Maybe, much like the diesel, our DEF is better quality? Not sure how you could 'muck-up' a basic mix of urea and deionised water though. :ROFLMAO: Or maybe the SCR issues are somehow down to poor quality diesel?

Little issues with SCR over this side of the pond. Maybe, much like the diesel, our DEF is better quality? Not sure how you could 'muck-up' a basic mix of urea and deionised water though. :ROFLMAO: Or maybe the SCR issues are somehow down to poor quality diesel?
There is too much plumbing. DEF is DEF. It is very simple. Also, SCR started later in Europe than US.

Back