Oil recommendations for Subaru 2.4T

So I just purchased a new Subaru Outback Onyx XT. I’ll be doing an oil change around 2,500 miles to get all the assembly junk out of the engine. I live in northern IN so hot summers, cold winters. Commute is about 12 miles a day. I’m not brand loyal, and don’t care if I change weights from the 0W-20 the manual recommends.

So I just purchased a new Subaru Outback Onyx XT. I’ll be doing an oil change around 2,500 miles to get all the assembly junk out of the engine. I live in northern IN so hot summers, cold winters. Commute is about 12 miles a day. I’m not brand loyal, and don’t care if I change weights from the 0W-20 the manual recommends.
You’re going to see high copper for the first few changes from the oil cooler, so if you do UOAs after awhile don’t fret about that.

Really, just follow the 6k OCI (I think it’s still that) or even change shorter if you’re not taking a long drive every week. 0w20 is probably a hair on the thin side, but we haven’t really seen many issues even with that. Any of the “big” brand names will be fine; there’s not really significant differences at that mileage level anyways. After you get to the 10-15k mark, do a UOA if you choose. The main things you’ll be interested in is the viscosity and TBN of the used oil.

I’m partial to Pennzoil, but Mobil 1 EP is likely the “best” available oil, and Valvoline is just fine too.

Wouldn’t really be smart for the OP to use an oil that’s not rated for use in gasoline engines in his brand new vehicle.

I think thats been ignored for 2 decades now? ILSAC vs API can stuff it.

The vast majority of the subaru wrx, sti owners on the various subaru specific forums (including this one) might disagree. I doubt the Outback will be used anywhere as spirited as them, hence I'm confidant OP would feel safe considering my albeit extremely common suggestion for a Subaru with a turbo attached.

Your Sube was probably born with this in its engine. I got a few jugs couple of years ago during the annual oil rodeo at AZ. Might come around again or you can order it from WM.

1690313656755.jpg

Any API SP oil will work. I'd also look for a Dexos1 Gen3 rating. It has more stringent requirements for sludge and NOACK.

As for the grade, I would base it on oil temperature. The newer turbo Subarus usually have an oil temperature gauge. If your oil temperatures never get much above 105-110 C, I would stick with a 0W-20 or 5W-20 year-round. If your oil sometimes gets a lot hotter than this, I would use a 5W-30, at least in summer. A 5W-xx will be fine for winter in your climate.

I think thats been ignored for 2 decades now? ILSAC vs API can stuff it.

The vast majority of the subaru wrx, sti owners on the various subaru specific forums (including this one) might disagree. I doubt the Outback will be used anywhere as spirited as them, hence I'm confidant OP would feel safe considering my albeit extremely common suggestion for a Subaru with a turbo attached.
Doesn’t matter what may have worked in the past, on a 100% different engine family no less, if OP were to have a warranty claim, finding a non-API oil would likely leave him with the bill. One could say your recommendation to use an oil that’s not approved borders on reckless unless you’re signing up to pay for his repairs.

If we were going out of recommendation, HPL would blow any Rotella out of the water, but it doesn’t have the “true” approvals either, so that’s why I didn’t recommend it, even though it’s an extremely common suggestion.

Presumably a Subaru OEM filter is the best bet, right?
The Tokyo Roki filters aren't very efficient. I think they're usually rated at 50 micron. Some aftermarket filters can be a lot more efficient but will usually bypass some oil on Subarus due to the lower bypass settings.

I use a FRAM Ultra on my WRX. The PurolatorOne is also a good option and will flow better and bypass less than the FRAM, but isn't as efficient. The PL14610 has a decent bypass setting of 14-18 psi and is rated 99% at 30 micron.

I use to own a 07' WRX and am familiar with the old Subaru 2.0 and 2.5 turbo engine issues. What actually did the old turbo Subarus in was the oil pickup tube was susceptible to cracking. So if it cracked, it would starve the engine of oil.

Google WRX oil pickup and you'll see plenty of improved aftermarket offerings.

Back