What oil for PD injected TDI

Hello, I came across this chat in the forums which someone recommends CJ-4 for a PD, my engine is a 2008 non DPF 2.0 PD mk5 golf, BKD I think, the only CJ-4 oil I can get is 15w40 and its mineral (non synthetic), posted a link to the oil below. I am using 507 spec now but concerned about people claiming it can damage the cams. Should I continue with 507 or switch to CJ-4?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/wheres-the-vw-505-01-oil.189917/page-3

I don't think the 2.0 PD suffered with the same cam related issues the earlier 1.9 PD did.

That said, the general consensus is a high HTHS diesel rated oil will work just fine.

Personally, I'd probably throw M1 0w40 in it, especially if I didn't have a DPF.

I don't think the 2.0 PD suffered with the same cam related issues the earlier 1.9 PD did.

That said, the general consensus is a high HTHS diesel rated oil will work just fine.

Personally, I'd probably throw M1 0w40 in it, especially if I didn't have a DPF.
Good to know I have a bottle of this Gulf Western lying around, would this do for 10k then I can switch to a 40 weight, is 0W alright? I live in Australia doesn't get very cold. would this shell do? This shell is a 5w40, would that suffice?

Good to know I have a bottle of this Gulf Western lying around, would this do for 10k then I can switch to a 40 weight, is 0W alright? I live in Australia doesn't get very cold. would this shell do? This shell is a 5w40, would that suffice?

It's a 'C3' oil which means it has a minimum HTHS of 3.5mPAS. It'll do you just fine!

Generally people consider anything 3.5mPAS or over to be 'Thick' and anything under 3.5mPAS is for saving baby seals, left wing politics and veganism.

Last edited:
It's a 'C3' oil which means it has a minimum HTHS of 3.5mPAS. It'll do you just fine!
Thanks mate, was just wondering if I have to go all out on the 504/507 wagon, the oil is literally double the price and I dont see a benefit if I dont have a DPF but then again im not too familiar with PD Diesels and their quirks. The shell one would be fine too right? The car barely burns any oil 2mm on the stick in 9k km. It has done 240,000km

Thanks mate, was just wondering if I have to go all out on the 504/507 wagon, the oil is literally double the price and I dont see a benefit if I dont have a DPF but then again im not too familiar with PD Diesels and their quirks. The shell one would be fine too right?

If you haven't got a DPF and you aren't on long-life servicing like we get over here in the UK (OCI's can be up-to 18,000miles or 2 years dependant on driving style) then it's not going to matter.

Pick something from a reputable manufacturer that has ACEA A3/B4, C3, E9 or API CK4 etc and run it for 10k/6months, it will be just fine.

If you haven't got a DPF and you aren't on long-life servicing like we get over here in the UK (OCI's can be up-to 18,000miles or 2 years dependant on driving style) then it's not going to matter.

Pick something from a reputable manufacturer that has ACEA A3/B4, C3, E9 or API CK4 etc and run it for 10k/6months, it will be just fine.
I am on 15k or 1 year apparently, manual just states Specs are bound to change and look at VW website for the current spec lol. Currently I have ENI I Sint 504/507 in it for about 8 months 9,000km.

I am on 15k or 1 year apparently, manual just states Specs are bound to change and look at VW website for the current spec lol. Currently I have ENI I Sint 504/507 in it for about 8 months 9,000km.

15,000km is about 9,000miles. You don't need anything massively special for that. I'd try get an oil with one of the above specifications but also look for some manufacturer approvals like Porsche A40, Mercedes 229.52 etc.

15,000km is about 9,000miles. You don't need anything massively special for that. I'd try get an oil with the above specification but also look for some manufacturer approvals like Porsche A40, Mercedes 229.52 etc.
Thank you, so the PD is not all that fussy I guess, my ea211 octavia will still get the 504 treatment I have 30l of the Mannol Ester stuff, managed to somehow get it for $54 per bottle, everything 504/607 here is $100 and up for some reason.

Thank you, so the PD is not all that fussy I guess, my ea211 octavia will still get the 504 treatment I have 30l of the Mannol Ester stuff, managed to somehow get it for $54 per bottle, everything 504/607 here is $100 and up for some reason.

I know there was issues with the 1.9PD many years ago.

I might be wrong but I believe people were using 'normal' oils in them and the cams were getting wiped out.

People soon figured out if you stuck to thicker oils, not necessarily the ones that came with the VW specification but just thick oils in general, the cams were just fine.

However, I don't think the 2.0 PD suffered with cam related issues at all.

I know there was issues with the 1.9PD many years ago.

I might be wrong but I believe people were using 'normal' oils in them and the cams were getting wiped out.

People soon figured out if you stuck to thicker oils, not necessarily the ones that came with the VW specification but just thick oils in general, the cams were just fine.

However, I don't think the 2.0 PD suffered with cam related issues at all.
Yeah there's allot of debate about oils with the PD engines I didn't know it was strictly the 1.9, I know there's allot higher pressure in the head with them and makes the oil prone to shearing with PD injection that's about it, mine doesn't seem to burn oil seems to be healthy just leaks from the injector harness and valve cover a tiny bit nothing major that warrants a replacement yet, thanks for your assistance though, will look for a good quality oil from now on, we do have a hard time finding the good euro stuff unless you find a distributor here but we get the main ones like Shell, Liqui Moly, Fuchs, a local blender that's good Penrite, I personally don't like Castrol as it's from Thailand here not the German one you get.

Yeah there's allot of debate about oils with the PD engines I didn't know it was strictly the 1.9, I know there's allot higher pressure in the head with them and makes the oil prone to shearing with PD injection that's about it, mine doesn't seem to burn oil seems to be healthy just leaks from the injector harness and valve cover a tiny bit nothing major that warrants a replacement yet, thanks for your assistance though, will look for a good quality oil from now on, we do have a hard time finding the good euro stuff unless you find a distributor here but we get the main ones like Shell, Liqui Moly, Fuchs, a local blender that's good Penrite, I personally don't like Castrol as it's from Thailand here not the German one you get.

If you can get Fuchs for a decent price, then Fuchs Titan GT1 Flex 3 5w40 is a great oil for not a lot of money. It's my current go-to for nearly anything. Has a ton of manufacturer approvals including VW 511 (a thicker version of 507) and Porsche C40 which includes a simulated Nürburgring test.

I have used Mobil 1 TDT only for the last 228K miles. For the first 100K miles I used Motul Specific 5w-40 that had the correct VW 505.01 spec. It is my personal belief that a lot of the cam problems in PD engines were from using the VW recommended Castrol 505.01 low quality oil and going 10,,000 miles between oil changes.

How about Penrite ?
1701300626408.png

Really hard to find the 505.01 spec, have only seen VW 505 00, will look into the Penrite as it says VW 505 01, easy to come by here and a decent brand.

Really hard to find the 505.01 spec, have only seen VW 505 00, will look into the Penrite as it says VW 505 01, easy to come by here and a decent brand.
The point was, you do not need 505.01 oil to protect your PD engine. Experience has proven a good, full synthetic 5w-40 for diesels does the job just fine. I do not know what is available down there, but would think both Mobil 1 and Shell would be. It sounds like the Penrite should be fine too, whether or not it is 505.01 specced.

Thank you, I will use a Diesel fully synthetic 5w40 from oil from now on from a good brand. Mobil 1 and Shell are available here along with Valvoliine, Castrol, Fuchs, and the Domestic brands, Penrite, Gulf Western, Nulon in stores, the rest have to be ordered in on suppliers in bulk or online stores at a premium.

Back