Where's the VW 505.01 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, scurvy is a very well respected and knowledgeable contributor to the oil forums at the tdiclub.

Many engineers and tribologists have contributed to the issue of certifications and specs, and I'm sure the debates and arguments will continue.

His input is based on a large number of samples and vehicles with 2, 3, and even 4 hundred thousands of miles by people extremely anal about oil type, change interval, and expectations.

He is well worth listening to.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Volkswagen 505.01 has no limit on how much antiwear sulfur or phosphorus can be used in the oil. CJ-4 does.

Quite wrong. They both have limits on SAPS. 505.01 places lower limits than does CJ-4/PC-10.

I did a little bit of research at TDIclub. VW505.01 is rated as a Mid-SAPS oil was CJ-4 is rated Low-SAPS oil.

BTW I'm really tempted to go with Schaeffers 9000 but the 5w-50 oil ; http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/TD Sheets/9001.pdf

Last edited:
Huh? The EPA regulates oil content?

I am no Oil expert but here is my 2cents.

Yes. The EPA mandates that oils have lower sulfur content and be thinner for lower emissions and higher fuel economy. VW specifies oil because if you don't run it, their product wont meet the EPA standard for its model year.

CJ-4 oils are for equipment and 18 wheelers where economy and emissions are a lower priority than wear and equipment life. Producers of CJ-4 oils see VW as a very small segment of the diesel world and not economically feasible to apply for the rating.

Not having the rating and not meeting the rating are two different things altogether.

An 18 wheeler works a lot harder than your VW, and the mileage is measured by the millions. Do you really think they use a lesser oil?

Last edited:
I looked at the VOAs but didn't really understand. They both looked good to me.
Originally Posted By: asand1

An 18 wheeler works a lot harder than your VW, and the mileage is measured by the millions. Do you really think they use a lesser oil?

It really isn't that simple. An 18 wheeler is much less picky than the tiny engine in VWs. The 18 wheeler can run on junk diesel with only 35 cetane, but my tiny engine requires 49. (Likewise I suspect the 18 wheeler can run on any oil without damage, but which would destroy my tiny engine.)

I looked at the VOAs but didn't really understand. They both looked good to me.
Originally Posted By: asand1

It really isn't that simple. An 18 wheeler is much less picky than the tiny engine in VWs. The 18 wheeler can run on junk diesel with only 35 cetane, but my tiny engine requires 49. (Likewise I suspect the 18 wheeler can run on any oil without damage, but which would destroy my tiny engine.)

The VOA's allow you the ability to at least contrast the basic additive levels of the oils. To me, the CJ-4 lubricant didn't look to be weaker than the 505.01 oil. That's what I was trying to draw attention to.

You seem rather set on using any 505.01 oil rather than going by nine years of PD experience in deciding what is best. I bought my on March 10, 2005 and started asking what was the best 505.01 oil for it. I got stupid answers like follow the owner's manual recommendation. Well that was the Castrol synthetic blend that turned out to be garbage. I finally went with Motul, mostly because it was clearly a Group III oil and had a much higher flash point than the Castrol garbage. This was important for protecting my turbo. I finally switched to Mobil 1 at 100,000 miles.

After much back and forth on the oils subject and who made a good oil that would protect the warranty, one man finally said $(&3## it, I am going with Mobil 1 TDT. Many miles and many UOAs later, that has found to be sound with both TDT and Rotella T making the grade.

However, PDs come in two types, BEW and BRM and I understand the BRM engines are more likely to chew up the cam than BEWs. I don't know enough about other than my PD at at 141,000 and the cam is still good.

So, after almost eight years of PD ownership I know two things for sure:

1. You don't ever let a VW dealer work on your TDI engine, not even an oil change.

2. A good 5w-40 diesel rated oil is the best protection for you PD engine.

I already decided to run Delvac 1. Or possibly Schaeffers 9000. (Depends which is easier to get.) I'm merely trying to get more information than "I ran it; it worked." I've had people tell me they add Slick 50 to their oil at every change, and "It worked. My car went 300,000 miles." Such customer testimonials don't really mean much.

I prefer engineering data. Perhaps that's a flaw in my personality, but that's how I am. I don't trust people given how many I've caught outright lying to me. Example: On my previous job the HR person said she'd pay me my last week of work, because she has to. "It's the law," she said..... 1 year later and still no check from Curtiss-Wright corporation. She lied straight to my face.

So I don't trust "it worked for me" comments. Instead I look at the CJ-4 spec versus the VW505.01 spec and try to figure out which is better. From what I've seen the 505.01 looks better. Though not better than the Mack specification that Delvac 1 carries. (shrug).

Go read some UOAs; find out what's working in real-world applications. If that's not data I don't know what is. You claim to prefer 'engineering data'... what about real-world experience with these engines (of which you have none). Does that not count as data? Ask people that have replaced cams what oil they run now and what oil they ran previously.

The worst engineers I know only rely on specifications, tables, charts & books. The good ones pay attention to what happens in the field.

Seriously don't understand why this thread has gone on so long... maybe GHT moved to California?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Seriously don't understand why this thread has gone on so long... maybe GHT moved to California?
grin2.gif

...or maybe NC? You seem to have a different name and location on TDIClub.

I did a little bit of research at TDIclub. VW505.01 is rated as a Mid-SAPS oil was CJ-4 is rated Low-SAPS oil.

And was pointed out to you over there, "HarleyGuy" from "Charlotte nc", 505.01 is a mid-SAPS passenger oil. CJ-4 is a 'low-SAPS' HDEO oil. You're not comparing two like categories.

One must look at the actual SAPS limit of each and you'd easily see that CJ-4 has more allowable SAPS than 505.01. Or is this too much critical thinking for you today?

Really so it boils down to condescending remarks now...seriously scruvy you should know better.

FTR: I don't use Mobil TDT and I am pretty sure the car lived a long life on dealer oil before I got it, yet somehow it is ok.

Case in point, your cam either will go or won't and no oil can magically prevent it. To state your car is better off by not using a 505.01 oil(which are easy as heck to get) and everyone else is an idiot is really low. I use 505.01 and the cam was good before and still is now.

I don't buy into the oil trashed the cams argument and never have. They were trash from day one but VW like many dealers got them to survive outside of warranty so as to prevent a massive recall. Subaru did it with Mobil 1, some dealers were actively saying not to use Mobil 1 5w30 because it was ruining motors. Only because Mobil 1 is synonymous with synthetic oil so naturally in a turbocharged car you'd want that. No it wasn't, you built a weak bottom end from the factory and sold it to a young kid who will redline it every shift. What did you think would happen?

I got Mobil 1 ESP M 5w40 at Napa, apparently Valvoline SynPower 5w40 is also 505.01 and I've seen it there and at Walmart.

My next oil will be LubroMoly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Really so it boils down to condescending remarks now...seriously scruvy you should know better.

When multiple attempts to get someone to think critically about the subject at hand are rebuked, then sometimes condescending remarks are all that work.
21.gif
Especially when someone is using different names, different locations and making virtually the same posts on different forums certainly smacks of being extremely disingenuous.

I'm not the only one on BITOG who suspects another poster is as described above or a clever troll... but as Ogden Nash said, "Too clever is dumb".

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
FTR: I don't use Mobil TDT and I am pretty sure the car lived a long life on dealer oil before I got it, yet somehow it is ok.

Case in point, your cam either will go or won't and no oil can magically prevent it. To state your car is better off by not using a 505.01 oil(which are easy as heck to get) and everyone else is an idiot is really low. I use 505.01 and the cam was good before and still is now.

The cam could have been replaced before you got it, the dealership could have been using 5w40 505.01 oil, yours (like mine) could have been one of the 'good' ones... plenty of things could have happened.

I never said the cam would magickally live a wonderful happy long life on CJ-4 and not doing so makes someone an idiot, you've created a nice straw man argument there. You know better. I frankly couldn't care less what oil anyone uses in their car. What I do care about is someone spreading falsehoods that all certified lubricants are the best lubricant for the engine when that is objectively not the case with this particular engine family!

What I did say is that the vast majority of folks running CJ-4 5w40 lubricants what bother to do UOAs show lower wear rates (as expressed in wear metal ppm/distance) and overall report longer cam life than those running 505.01/506.01/507.00 certified lubricants of any viscosity (even moreso as most of those are all 5w30 or 0w30, which has been shown to truly be Bad News Bears for a PD cam). I was fat and happy running all of the VW spec oils as above until I did some reading, quite a lot of critical thinking and dug down deep into the looming problem. Only then did I prove to myself with UOAs on my own car that CJ-4 lubricants (Schaeffer 9000 5w40) gave vastly lower rates of wear metal generation than the VW-spec lubricants I used previously.

The cam was poorly engineered by VW; changing the lubricant can lead to a much longer time before failure but nothing will prevent it... eventually all PD cams will need replacing.

I've always said 5w40 505.01 lubes are much better than the vast majority of other 505.01 oils which are 5w30 now, but the overwhelming evidence is that 5w40 CJ-4 lubricants work better for longer than the VW certified ones. One may choose not to believe it, but that's just an individual's choice to be obstinant in the matter... especially once the location of tomes of data to this end was pointed out to them.

If you're happy running Mobil 1 ESP M 5w40 (not 505.01 certified), Valvoline Synpower 5w40 (505.01 certified) or LubroMoly whatever, then I'm happy for you. Most of those would be good choices in my considerably biased opinion.

Lest you think I get free TDT and kickbacks from Schaeffer on my mighty throne of CJ-4, I'm currently running a frankenblend of 3 quarts Schaeffer 9000, a quart of Mobil 1 TDT, a quart of Castrol SLX Professional OE 5w30 (505.01 certified), a quart of Castrol TXT 5w40 (505.01 certified) and half a tin of Lubro-Moly MoS2. Certainly less optimal than just the Schaffer or TDT alone, but I'm only running it to use these odds & sods up before switching to my stash of TDT (which I only have as my local AutoZone priced it at $3.99/quart and kept it there for months)... but I won't bother doing a UOA on this stuff or running it out past 16k km.

I didn't pick that up in reading(I scan though)...so I figured you were being condescending for well, condescending sake. He truly could be as you stated then so I will make amends with you there.

Regarding oil usage & cam wear...I guess I should have directed that as a more open-ended..."I am sick of people looking down their nose at others over this argument".

Nothing about your use personally at all so I hope I wasn't received in that way.

To my knowledge(and carfax's lol) it was not replaced yet(cam). I don't think IMO there is enough of those doing UOA's to quantify that an oil changes it one way or another. I say this only considering the vast amount of wear that occurs on a TDI during the first 50k miles. Some even past that when break-in occurs.

Only my opinion though and a obviously I would love to know why it was never a problem overseas too.

The oil I am running said it was on the bottle otherwise I wouldn't have grabbed it. Maybe they changed that spec or it was old oil. Interesting though because I originally wanted LubroMoly but Napa wouldn't order it unless I bought 6 gallons which at the time I wasn't prepared to do. We will know the truth soon! UOA will be had!

Although and I must admit this could be true it could have said 505.01 on the bottle as recommended and I never gave it another thought. I mean that was over 8,000 miles ago LOL

If you get kickbacks please do share the wealth with me. I will PM you my address.

Scurvey:

Could you link me to the threads you mentioned at TDIparts? I looked a little there, but didn't see too much about Cam wear. I've been a "VW specs 505.01, so that's what I'll use" guy, but I think I'm convinced to try some M1 DTD. I'm just looking for a summary of the evidence. I wish threads with many pages would stop and write a "summary so far" post every now and then. There's a lot of good information being put together but if you come late to the game (or take some time off) there's a LOT to read. (For example, I read all about a stereo, used it for a few years and had a problem, the thread added 200+ pages while I was away!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back