VW 505.01 standard for new TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW is requiring the use of 505.01 compliance
with their new TDI direct injection motor.

They state in black and white that if you do not use oil to this standard, motor damage WILL follow.

Now Mobil 1 passes 505.00 but I am not so certain if this standard is the same as 505.01

I can find no data on what the 505.01 test requires other than this is all about HTHS numbers.

These new VW engines have some extremly highly stressed parts centered around the camshaft drive to the direct injection compononents.

Any thought or links would be of help.

I believe that the 505.01 standard is for the pump-deuse engines. The 2004's are supposed to have the pump-deuse 100 hp engine so, yes I guess new VW's will require the 505.01. Those of us with older TDI's can still use the 505.00 oil.

Can anyone else throw anything else in here?

quote:

Originally posted by Howard:
I believe that the 505.01 standard is for the pump-deuse engines. The 2004's are supposed to have the pump-deuse 100 hp engine so, yes I guess new VW's will require the 505.01. Those of us with older TDI's can still use the 505.00 oil.

Can anyone else throw anything else in here?

Agreed........but what is the diference between 505.01 standard and the earlier 505.00.
That's want I want to find out.

Nosmo,

All the synthetics I've seen in Europe for the VW 505.01 spec are SAE 5w-40 grades. I believe this spec is much more demanding than VW 505.00 in terms of shear stability, due to the design of the valvetrain. I'll be honestly surprised if the M1, 0w-40 can meet this specification, since it tends to shear in high performance applications. I'd call Mobil's tech services line and ask one of their chemical engineers about running Delvac 1 in this application. I believe it's the closest thing to a VW 505.01 formulation they currently make ....

I haven't heard anything from Amsoil either about coming out with a VW 505.01 synthetic - you are talking about a very small niche market for this engine.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
you are talking about a very small niche market for this engine.

Thanks. It seems VW is going to bring this motor to NA next year. The picture below is a VW pamphlet, being distributed by a local VW dealer up here in Vancouver.
The warning on the right side is worth reading.
 -

They will obviosly sell oil that meets 505.01 but it will be interesting if any other oils will be avalable here that also meet this spec.
Delvac 1 seems the possible candidate.

i already run D-1 in my TDI but the jug doesn't even mention the VW 505.00. Didn't check the website yet, does it give this info ?
i don't know about the above requirement by VW. It sounds like VW looking for a another way to decline warranty work

[ August 23, 2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: sciroccoGTX16V ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back