Where's the VW 505.01 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Here's the official list, but I don't see any of this stuff at my walmart or pepboys

Nor will you ever.

What car is this for - I assume 2004-2006 TDI?

Those engines are far better served with a 5w40 synthetic CJ-4 HDEO than VW-spec anything. Fortunately the shelves at Wal-of-China-Mart or Pep Girls are teeming with the stuff: Shell Rotella T6, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, Schaeffer 9000, Amsoil DEO or Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme, in no particular order.

5w-30 is too thin. And yeah I'm buying a 2005 TDI and want to do an oil change once I pick it up.
Quote:
Shell Rotella T6, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, Schaeffer 9000, Amsoil DEO or Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme, in no particular order.
All gppd oils but none of them pass 505.01 testing.

Yeah I know I'm being picky but I want the oil VW recommends. (Just as my dad's GM runs dexos oil, not other stuff)

All gppd oils but none of them pass 505.01 testing.

Yeah I know I'm being picky but I want the oil VW recommends.

Please take it from someone with 7 years' experience with a PD TDI... 505.01 certified oils will lead to shorter cam life than any name brand 5w40 synthetic CJ-4 oil.

Read up on cam life and 505.01 oil use at TDIClub. You'll find out why most of us that are still PD owners now use CJ-4 5w40 oil over VW-spec anything.

You know what VW will want to know when you bring an 8 year old PD in for a strange 'bupping' noise at idle that's low on power? It won't be what oil you've been using. It will be if you have $4300 for them to replace the cam, bearings, lifters & timing belt (and they'll probably do all of that badly wrong).

There's no reason to use a VW-spec lubricant in those engines except for warranty protection and the absolute newest PD that could possibly be out there in the US went out of powertrain warranty in 2011.

Do what you will with your own car, but you're setting yourself up for an expensive ride on the failtrain.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
vw power steering fluid is rare too.

About as rare as your closest NAPA store.
21.gif
Pentosin CHF11S isn't hard to find if you live anywhere near civilization, any halfway decent import auto parts store will likely have a tin of it on the shelf. Amazon will get it to you in a day or two. And it's frankly excellent stuff.

Rarer than +4, most ATFs or the friendly bottle of Prestone PSF, sure.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Pentosin CHF11S isn't hard to find if you live anywhere near civilization, any halfway decent import auto parts store will likely have a tin of it on the shelf.

Heck, even lots of regular parts stores have it in stock. And if one is anywhere near civilization, as you mention, there's got to be a VW/Audi or Volvo dealership or something similar nearby. When I had to get some from the Audi dealership, it was about the same price as the parts store.

Please take it from someone with 7 years' experience with a PD TDI... 505.01 certified oils will lead to shorter cam life than any name brand 5w40 synthetic CJ-4 oil.
That seems a weird thing to say. VW 505.01 (rev.2005) is a harder specification to pass than CJ-4.

In any case I found some 505.01 oil at europaparts.com: Motul Specific or Pentosin. The problem is the extreme pricetag ($35 plus shipping).

That seems a weird thing to say. VW 505.01 (rev.2005) is a harder specification to pass than CJ-4.

In any case I found some 505.01 oil at europaparts.com: Motul Specific or Pentosin. The problem is the extreme pricetag ($35 plus shipping).

It is the other manufacturer approvals that the CJ-4 HDEO's have that make them better.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP meets or exceeds the requirements of: 5W-40
API CJ-4/CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/SM/SL
ACEA E7, E9
Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2
Cummins CES 20081
Twin Disc S364A
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP has the following builder approvals: 5W-40
Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification 93K218, 93K214
Deutz DQC III-10 LA
Mack EO-O Premium Plus, EO-N Premium Plus 03
MAN M 3277
MB-Approval 228.31, 235.27
MTU Oil Category 2.1
Volvo VDS-4, VDS-3

Its only harder because they are worried about stupid emissions stuff. Dont worry about that. Run what will protect your engine the best. If a cat clogs its way cheaper than a new engine!!!!
Check out redline. LOTS OF MOLY AND ZDDP!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Schaeffer's 9000 is my favorite and they recommend it for 505.01
Unfortunately the datasheet you linked does not say that. It says 505.00. I picked-up Pentosin HP2 for $29 ($5.60 a quart) off an ebay sale. I'll do a UOA at 5000 miles to see how it's holding up.

RedLine does not have any builder approvals.
Mobil Delvac 1 has a lot of approvals, but they are all easy to pass. MB229.31 is the toughest spec they list on D1 or Turbodiesel Truck oils, but that is still easier-to-pass than VW505.01. See for yourself:

http://www.lubrizol.com/EngineOilAdditives/ACEA/RelativePerformanceTool/default.html

Last edited:
Redline doent need any manufacturer approvals.
Its one of the best oils in the world when it comes to wear prevention. Its just not made for fuel efficiency or emissions. Thats why it doesn't get approvals.
From what I can tell, the best possible choice for a tdi would be redline because of its high HTHS values and potent add pack. Not to mention its an ester

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Schaeffer's 9000 is my favorite and they recommend it for 505.01
Unfortunately the datasheet you linked does not say that. It says 505.00. I picked-up Pentosin HP2 for $29 ($5.60 a quart) off an ebay sale. I'll do a UOA at 5000 miles to see how it's holding up.

RedLine does not have any builder approvals.
Mobil Delvac 1 has a lot of approvals, but they are all easy to pass. MB229.31 is the toughest spec they list on D1 or Turbodiesel Truck oils, but that is still easier-to-pass than VW505.01. See for yourself:

http://www.lubrizol.com/EngineOilAdditives/ACEA/RelativePerformanceTool/default.html

The Cummins and MACK specs are hardly "easy to pass" and certainly are far more demanding than the 505.01 spec. I posted the list of the certifications for Delvac 1 above, I can only assume that you didn't use the Heavy-Duty Engine Oils comparison tool to actually look at how demanding a spec like Cummins CES 20081 is.

And I certainly hope you aren't comparing the PCMO section of the Lubrizol tool to the HDEO section. It is a RELATIVE comparison tool, hopefully you read their disclaimer.......

I apologize but I don't use oils from companies that can't pass OEM approvals. I did use Amsoil 5w-20 back in 2002 but that's only because they were the only ones making synthetic in that grade. I switched to Mobil 1 as soon as they started doing the thin 20 weight oils too.

The proof is in the pudding, and I don't put much stock in the lubrizol relative performance tool for demanding applications.

PDs running 505.01 oil (most notably 5w30 varieties) grind their cams & lifters into the oil pan. Ones fed a diet of 5w40 last far longer. 505.01 5w40 seems to help but the wider SAPS allowance of CJ-4 oil seems to work the best.

I apologize but I don't use oils from companies that can't pass OEM approvals.

"can't pass" and "don't want to spend money on" are two different things. Don't confuse them.

If you're dead-set on using an oil that 505.01 certified, well, that's your business.
21.gif
Your cam & lifters will lead much shorter lives, and you can quote me on that.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Redline doent need any manufacturer approvals.
Its one of the best oils in the world when it comes to wear prevention. Its just not made for fuel efficiency or emissions. Thats why it doesn't get approvals.
From what I can tell, the best possible choice for a tdi would be redline because of its high HTHS values and potent add pack. Not to mention its an ester

Nice. Your right. Red line makes products that are above and beyond most oils available.

I apologize but I don't use oils from companies that can't pass OEM approvals. I did use Amsoil 5w-20 back in 2002 but that's only because they were the only ones making synthetic in that grade. I switched to Mobil 1 as soon as they started doing the thin 20 weight oils too.

Huh? Hasn't Mobil 1 been making 20 grades since the 70's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back