$65 for a plain key at a Ford dealer???

Stratec makes those for Ford. Their number is 597638. FWIW through Rotunda those keys went up substantially about a year ago. The 164-R8040 jewel keys went up 400% in cost a few months ago and we lost any bulk order discount.
Must be a "shortage" of those keys. The H92 PATS key you mentioned has been out of stock from my locksmith suppliers for months. Been using generic keys and xhorse chips.

Must be a "shortage" of those keys. The H92 PATS key you mentioned has been out of stock from my locksmith suppliers for months. Been using generic keys and xhorse chips.
We are limited to ordering 5 at a time from Rotunda, and that is at about 5 times what we paid this time last year. Fortunately I ordered a ton last year when they were running a special for stock orders.

So whats the part number you look them up by? None of the dealers I called could do anything with this number,

s-l1600.jpg

So whats the part number you look them up by? None of the dealers I called could do anything with this number,

s-l1600.jpg
That 011-R0223 is the ford number. BDcardinal can correct me if I am wrong but IIRC Ford doesnt have keys in the parts catalog, they come from the tool & equipment program vs parts. Most keys start 164 so its possible the parts guys didnt recognize it (not a common key anymore) In the locksmith world I call that an H75 key. The H92 key is a PATS key that BDcardinal said jumped big in price and has been backordered from strattec. I dont stock the H75 in the ford head I stock it in a metal head but will order the Ford head for anyone that wants. I do the metal head for 15 bucks cut if I have a key to duplicate, more if I have to look up a key code because Ford charges me to buy a key code and there is a lot of paperwork to do it.

And if you had two Ford vehicles which used the same keyway, you could cut one side for one vehicle and the other side for the other one.
Now that was a useful feature. Too bad we can’t have that anymore.

At least on GM you could start then take the keys out.

I was 50 miles east of where I live on business in a little east Colorado podunk town some years ago.
They had a little general store that made keys so I stopped in and had a key made for my wife's old car.
They guy kept saying over and over if her car had a chip this key would not work and there would be no refund and even wrote that on the receipt.
I finally said in an irritated tone "I live 50 miles west and I'm not coming back here for a refund on a $1.85 key"

That 011-R0223 is the ford number. BDcardinal can correct me if I am wrong but IIRC Ford doesnt have keys in the parts catalog, they come from the tool & equipment program vs parts. Most keys start 164 so its possible the parts guys didnt recognize it (not a common key anymore) In the locksmith world I call that an H75 key. The H92 key is a PATS key that BDcardinal said jumped big in price and has been backordered from strattec. I dont stock the H75 in the ford head I stock it in a metal head but will order the Ford head for anyone that wants. I do the metal head for 15 bucks cut if I have a key to duplicate, more if I have to look up a key code because Ford charges me to buy a key code and there is a lot of paperwork to do it.
That is the Rotunda number. For the older vehicles that only had one key option, they are not in the catalog. They started putting them in when there were 4+ key options for a vehicle and it was like throwing a dart figuring out the correct ones based on the number of buttons and MHz they used. The ones on limited order are the jewel 164-R8040 keys. We don't use the H75 etc. numbers as that counts against our loyalty percentage.

Your too fancy. My F150 chip key has been JB welded together for about 15 years. It’s just a key. They wanted $100 last time I checked, I touched up the JB weld instead.

I really don't think anyone buying a 2003 Econoline cares if the key is OE or not. I love this site!
Well that's why he bought the key on eBay.
Don’t lose your keys and if you buy a vehicle with one set of keys negotiate the cost of replacement into price. I dropped car price by $250 with used private seller based on one key.
Just for Ford, there's Forscan which is a free program that will also let you remove and add keys to Ford cars so you don't need to go to the dealer to program additional keys.
That's not an intentional feature.
I had a Chrysler that did the same thing, might have been stolen in the past before I bought it. You could take the key out and the car was still running. Handy if you wanted the a/c or heat to run a bit, you could take the key out and then lock the doors and still get back in. No key fob back in those days.

Last edited:
I really don't think anyone buying a 2003 Econoline cares if the key is OE or not. I love this site!
It's actually the wagon version and a pretty nice one at that, so I think some folks will. I do.
Edmunds list these as being worth about $3500ish.
While OP may value a Ford branded key, we are talking about a 19 year old vehicle. So it seems to be a strange item to get worked up about.

Back