$65 for a plain key at a Ford dealer???

And I'm not talking a chip key either, just this plain steel key,

md_50e016_011-R0223.jpg

for a 2003 Econoline as well as a 2015 Police Interceptor. Dealers I called said $55 to $65 each. I told them no, that's for a transponder key, but they didn't wan't to look any further. Back to Ebay for under $4 a pop. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2621853227...QnuPKq-7NtVq6pQOp6cHU5BbeSZTmX9hoCo_UQAvD_BwE

Why does one go to a dealer to get a "plain key" cut?

I guess it's been awhile since we have had "bash a dealer thread".
I paid $4 or $5 a few years ago at a Chevy dealer for a plain GM key so I thought it wouldn't be much different at a Ford dealer.

Stratec makes those for Ford. Their number is 597638. FWIW through Rotunda those keys went up substantially about a year ago. The 164-R8040 jewel keys went up 400% in cost a few months ago and we lost any bulk order discount.

Maybe.. Check it out.
1% chance they'll be Ford logo'd
as well as a 2015 Police Interceptor. Dealers I called said $55 to $65 each.

I know it's non-Ford branded, but they're saying dealer price is $55 so your dealer wasn't lying. They are indicating this one has a transponder too and in '15, I'm sure that's correct. Sounds like the parts guy has ballpark prices for keys memorized and gave you the wrong price for the Econoline key (??). The Econoline key is available from multiple sources, with the Ford logo, for a lot less than $55-65.

I'd sell you one for $65 if I could.

They are probably charging for the key and 1/2 hr labor.
I think it's crazy to charge 1/2 labor at a Mechanics rate when they use shop help or other lowered payed people to do the work.

Remember when Ford was the the only double sided cut key? Found out in my early key cutting days you only really needed to cut one side and it would work. Only one set of tumblers. Just reinsert the key in the lock if it didn't work the first time. They were sturdy tho. Some of those gm blanks would look like tooth picks after 20 years of use.

Remember when Ford was the the only double sided cut key? Found out in my early key cutting days you only really needed to cut one side and it would work. Only one set of tumblers. Just reinsert the key in the lock if it didn't work the first time. They were sturdy tho. Some of those gm blanks would look like tooth picks after 20 years of use.

And if you had two Ford vehicles which used the same keyway, you could cut one side for one vehicle and the other side for the other one.

Don’t lose your keys and if you buy a vehicle with one set of keys negotiate the cost of replacement into price. I dropped car price by $250 with used private seller based on one key.

Go to an Automotive locksmith and get a Ford logo key. It will probably cost about $4 and they cut it for you.

I wish I tried an automotive locksmith before buying a regular non-chipped key at the Kia dealer. It was $90. If it was a key fob with the switchblade key, it would have been $250! Outrageous.

Back