Change Oil Filter Every Year Regardless of Mileage?

I'd recommend both your oil and filter annually. It's easy to remember.
Also there is no need for expensive products. A Fram Extra Guard filter and 5 Quarts of Quaker State oil at WalMart will be around $24.
I also have my annual oil change schedule setup for Aug-Sep, a comfortable time of the year to be working in the garage or on the driveway.

I contacted Mann about their filters their reply was:

"The filter should be change at the mileage listed in the vehicles owners’ manual or 1 year, which ever comes first."

It sounds like a stock response. Is it overly-cautious, or may be just to boost sales? I can't imagine that any company would make an oil filter that would fail after one year.

But I suppose there is the potential for deterioration of the medium and in a worst case scenario - such as an oil blend that is corrosive to the media, a manufacturing flaw at the outer bounds of allowable tolerances and thick oil during a cold start all occurring at the same time - perhaps there is some tiny possibility that it would fail in one year.

So, what do you do? I guess I'll just have to believe the manufacturer's and change the filter every year.

I never meet a can that got easier to remove with time. Quite the opposite. Car that’s been sitting for years is a prime opportunity to destruct a can, and tap off base plate that’s been welded by the oring with a cold chisel.

Also , a filter actually performs better as it gets dirty. It blocks smaller and smaller particles the dirtier it gets (provided the bypass doesn’t open).

I don't think so. Questionable. As said, lots of threads on this.

I don’t drive the car much so the mileage is well below 15,000km when I reach one year after the last change. So I have been replacing the oil every year but I wait until I reach 15,000km before changing the filter, which is about once every third oil change.
I figure it is unnecessary to replace the filter before I reach 15,000km because the filter will not deteriorate over time like oil does because it is made of metal and media material.
What do you think? Is it necessary to change the oil filter every year, regardless of the mileage since the last change?

I'd change the oil every year and probably including filter, but changing the filter on every second is ok too. HOWEVER, I would not keep this filter for three years (3 x 5000 km).

The filter I use is a VW 06J115403Q (Mann W 719/45).
Do you know what kind of media this filter has?
I contacted Mann about their filters their reply was:
"The filter should be change at the mileage listed in the vehicles owners’ manual or 1 year, which ever comes first."
It sounds like a stock response. Is it overly-cautious, or may be just to boost sales? I can't imagine that any company would make an oil filter that would fail after one year.

VW 06J115403Q/Mann W719/45 is the exact same filter like in Europe with (up to) two years/30.000 km intervals. So that filter must last for this distance and, more important in your case, for two years. This VW 06J115403Q says "Langzeitfilter" ("longtime filter") on the can. I bet Mann know how to design an oil filter enduring 2y/30.000 km.

VW:
3bf4ae2f5dab4a742a1c128e14edc09e.jpg

Mann:
thumb

btw, CCTA (Mk6 GTI) is actually a EA888 Gen 2? :unsure: I'd guess it's a Gen 1....

Just change the oil and filter once a year. Do it on your birthday so you don’t forget… I have a friend who barely drives her car. This is what I recommended to her. She laughs saying it’s her cars birthday too and treats it for an oil change.

I’ve done exactly what you’re doing with using an oil filter for 2 or 3 intervals and it has always worked out in my favor. I’ve done it for 25 years and a million miles. NEVER a single issue. Save money, save resources, and save time. Your engine will be fine.

Does Fram say anything about maximum time with the Ultra or Endurance? I’ve never seen any time limits mentioned.

The service manual for my car says to replace the oil and filter every 15,000km (9300mi) or one year after the last change.

I don’t drive the car much so the mileage is well below 15,000km when I reach one year after the last change. So I have been replacing the oil every year but I wait until I reach 15,000km before changing the filter, which is about once every third oil change.

I figure it is unnecessary to replace the filter before I reach 15,000km because the filter will not deteriorate over time like oil does because it is made of metal and media material. Also , a filter actually performs better as it gets dirty. It blocks smaller and smaller particles the dirtier it gets (provided the bypass doesn’t open).

What do you think? Is it necessary to change the oil filter every year, regardless of the mileage since the last change?
Oil filters cheap, engines expensive.
Who is to say after a year the oil filter media is efficient or effective as new?
Combustion by products can take a toll on anything and break down anything that is not metal.
What if the current oil filter had a defect in it? Instead of changing it as required you run a defective filter for 3 years.

Will any of this matter? I don’t know but I think the thinking that that filter is more effective is flawed. Yes a more clogged filter will be more efficient on smaller particles but the bypass valve will open more frequently allowing completely unfiltered oil through and as I mentioned the media itself may start to break down and not be as affective.

btw, CCTA (Mk6 GTI) is actually a EA888 Gen 2? :unsure: I'd guess it's a Gen 1....

I think you're correct about this.
Fak! Lots of problems with the Gen 1, in particular with the rings and oil consumption. I have a bit of an oil consumption problem, so maybe this is the root of the problem.

The service manual for my car says to replace the oil and filter every 15,000km (9300mi) or one year after the last change.

I figure it is unnecessary to replace the filter before I reach 15,000km because the filter will not deteriorate over time like oil does because it is made of metal and media material. Also , a filter actually performs better as it gets dirty. It blocks smaller and smaller particles the dirtier it gets (provided the bypass doesn’t open).

I would keep doing as you’ve been doing.
My experience, like yours, is that a filter will last a long time without deteriorating.

Also, a filter actually performs better as it gets dirty. It blocks smaller and smaller particles the dirtier it gets (provided the bypass doesn’t open).
That's true for air filters, but not true for oil filters. That's been a big misconception for a long time. It's been discussed with technical info many times. Oil filters can slough off already captured particles as they load up because as the delta-p across the filter increases it can can dislodge particles and send them downstream. If you want an oil filter that won't slough off much as it loads up, then get one with a high ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating.

Last edited:
FRAM states to follow what your owners manual says so 1 year is going to be the max.

Probably generally true, as very most filter makers say to follow the vehicle manfacturer's recommendations. However, in the OP's case, this filter is designed to last for (up to) two years and 30.000 km (18,600 mls). Just because VW allows this distance and time across the pond:

VW 06J115403Q/Mann W719/45 is the exact same filter like in Europe with (up to) two years/30.000 km intervals. So that filter must last for this distance and, more important in your case, for two years. This VW 06J115403Q says "Langzeitfilter" ("longtime filter") on the can. I bet Mann know how to design an oil filter enduring 2y/30.000 km.

If you plan to keep the vehicle long-term, cough up an extra $8 and do a proper oil service every year -- that's about the cost of one specialty coffee drink. If it will be sold in the near future, do whatever you want.

That's true for air filters, but not true for oil filters. That's been a big misconception for a long time. It's been discussed with technical info many times. Oil filters can slough off already captured particles as they load up because as the delta-p across the filter increases it can can dislodge particles and send them downstream. If you want an oil filter that won't slough off much as it loads up, then get one with a high ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating.
yep, air filters work better as they reach maximum restriction but oil filters bypass as they become restricted..

so you get a dirty oil filter and combine that with a cold start in a cold climate, the oil filter probably bypasses for a period of time until oil will actually go thru the filter.

keeping in mind that for about the first 50 years of the 20th century most vehicle didn't have an oil filter, you have to wonder how much difference it actually makes if unfiltered oil goes thru the engine for a few minutes.

Your service manual is giving prudent advice. The one year interval is easy to remember (mine is in Aug-Sep) and you don't have to keep track of the filter change. In addition you can run a lower priced but very good 15,000 mile filter like a Fram Tough Guard that is only $7.00. If you're well below the 9,300 mileage the Extra Guard at $4.00 will serve you well.

Hi Nielkfj,
I need to make a correction on my filter recommendations. The Tough Guard is not available for your car but the Extra Guard, Titanium and Ultra Synthetic is.

Walmart Price:
Extra Guard - $12.94

1694869507627.jpg

yep, air filters work better as they reach maximum restriction but oil filters bypass as they become restricted..
Yes, oil filters can bypass if they load up too much. But I'm not talking about that. Oil filters will lose some efficiency as they load up, even before they ever go into bypass. I posted a graph showing that in the other thread discussing that phenomena.

so you get a dirty oil filter and combine that with a cold start in a cold climate, the oil filter probably bypasses for a period of time until oil will actually go thru the filter.
Even when oil filters bypass, the majority of the oil flow is still going through the media and being filtered. Unless of course if the filer is basically bypassing because it's 100% clogged. Oil filters can bypass even when new if the oil is thick enough and the engine RPM is high enough.

keeping in mind that for about the first 50 years of the 20th century most vehicle didn't have an oil filter, you have to wonder how much difference it actually makes if unfiltered oil goes thru the engine for a few minutes.
And engines wore out pretty fast in those days compared to now - and filtration and cleanliness of oil certainly does have an impact on engine wear. Many studies show that, and no study ever concludes that the level of oil cleanliness doesn't make a difference. It won't hurt an engine if the filter bypasses for a minute or two, because the oil in the sump is already filtered for the most part. But if the oil cleanliness is much worse, then over the long haul it can make a difference in ending wear.

Depends on the filter and environment, is it exposed to salt and debris? Or covered and protected?

Whats it built like? I run higher quality filters and keep them in a long time.

I just took a 5 year old Fram Ultra with 21K off my truck and it looks like it could have stayed there a lot longer.

Back