Michelin Super Sport and PS2 - terrible traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point I made was that all-season UHP tires are compromises...still I was surprised to see the all-season designation on the Ventus, and yes, I was being facetious about snow traction...

...regardless of reviews and ratings, as a passenger tire on a family sedan, the Ventus V4 ES performs at the highest levels and in the most extreme situations I've put them to...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
The point I made was that all-season UHP tires are compromises...still I was surprised to see the all-season designation on the Ventus, and yes, I was being facetious about snow traction...

...regardless of reviews and ratings, as a passenger tire on a family sedan, the Ventus V4 ES performs at the highest levels and in the most extreme situations I've put them to...

I had a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS. OK, but had a tendency to squeal in hard cornering. My understanding is that they shined in light snow compared to most of the competition. So that one compromised on all out dry performance.

Since then I've replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 in the Y-speed rating. That one has been getting rave reviews for it's performance that matches many dedicated summer tires. Not sure if I'd take my family to Tahoe in the winter on them, but at the very least I'd hope they would be acceptable on the occasional cold mornings in the 30s F. They have been stellar going through corners. No squealing and I get the feeling that I can take turns with confidence. They also protect the rim, with the DWS didn't. They were really pricey though, but I think well worth it for the performance.

Yes, but you aren't driving an AMG either
wink.gif
That's not a knock on your ride so PLEASE don't take it that way, I know you love your car! Most of us do
cheers3.gif
My point is that the OP's S55 AMG makes 493HP out of a Supercharged 5.4L V8 and subsequently poses a much greater challenge to the tires in terms of traction.

My M5, which is 93HP shy of the OP's car, would obliterate the Toyo Proxes Sport tires that came on it at speeds north of 100Km/h with a downshift into 3rd. That's not an enjoyable experience unless that's your intention. Trying to overtake somebody in an expedited manner is not one of those situations and subsequently I was quite keen on replacing them with something significantly more sticky.

That's also why I'm puzzled as to the OP mixing the older PS2's with the PSS's, as that doesn't sound like a balanced setup
21.gif
But perhaps it performs better than I'm imaging it does.

just my 2 cents old used mixed matched tires and low temps is the problem. I have a 2013 Challenger SRT8 and I have PSS's on it right now 245/45R20 front and 255/45R20 on the back and I haven't had any problems with traction and it makes 470 HP and 470 TQ.

Montrose

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

wink.gif
That's not a knock on your ride so PLEASE don't take it that way, I know you love your car! Most of us do
cheers3.gif
My point is that the OP's S55 AMG makes 493HP out of a Supercharged 5.4L V8 and subsequently poses a much greater challenge to the tires in terms of traction.

My M5, which is 93HP shy of the OP's car, would obliterate the Toyo Proxes Sport tires that came on it at speeds north of 100Km/h with a downshift into 3rd. That's not an enjoyable experience unless that's your intention. Trying to overtake somebody in an expedited manner is not one of those situations and subsequently I was quite keen on replacing them with something significantly more sticky.

That's also why I'm puzzled as to the OP mixing the older PS2's with the PSS's, as that doesn't sound like a balanced setup
21.gif

There has been speculation that one of the issues with the Porsche Carrera GT that Paul Walker died in was that it was still running on the original 8 year-old tires. They had decent tread left on them but were probably not ideal given their age.

I'm looking at what Tire Rack charges, and it's over $1700 for an OEM set of the Pilot Super Sport with the N0 markings for the Porsche setup.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...mp;autoModClar=

The PS2 is even more:

wink.gif
cheers3.gif

21.gif

I completely agree....the comparison is only comparable/relevant for the type of car....

...when I bought the Camry it had mismatched tires, old and new (and the dealer put the new pair up front!)...I immediately began the search for a new pair to replace the old...they were only OEM-spec, but they at least matched...that seemed the only prudent/safe approach...in a month I found a pair made within 2 weeks of the front two and from the same factory...a coincidence, but a nice one.

I was never let down by PSS.
They do not have good traction cold. But then, I do not push car until oil in engine gets on operating temp, so by that time, tires pick up some temp.
On 80+ weather, they are simply superb.
I think they are perfect solution for AMG, just need warming up.
But then, if you push car while it is still cold, well, then OP has one more problem or it will have soon.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

wink.gif
cheers3.gif

21.gif

There has been speculation that one of the issues with the Porsche Carrera GT that Paul Walker died in was that it was still running on the original 8 year-old tires. They had decent tread left on them but were probably not ideal given their age.

I'm looking at what Tire Rack charges, and it's over $1700 for an OEM set of the Pilot Super Sport with the N0 markings for the Porsche setup.

The PS2 is even more:

Yes, I was a bit baffled by the PS2's being significantly more expensive for my car than the PSS's
21.gif
It's OE tires were the PS2's.

Which tire comes stock on the AMG Black SLS??

Jeremy Clarkson seemed to have problems finding ANY traction at all on them when he had one of the above to drive in the U.S., on Darlington Raceway, and shredded the backs to the cords in VERY short time (a few laps) when pushing them.
eek.gif

But then again, with that thing's power, not much short of a 0 treadwear road race slick will have any decent traction (with all of the 'nannies' switched of at least).
wink.gif

Thank you. I mixed them becuase of two reasons. First, I couldn't get PSS 265/40/18 (but I would love to use them as rear tires). Second, according to treadwear PS2 are supposed to be even softer than PSS (PSS TW 300, PS2 TW220). I have some idea, maybe this is really silly, the harder tires (in theory) in front don't cooperate properly with rear wheels. I run out of ideas.
The problem with s55 amg is that the car produces 700NM of torque from low rev. The car is quite long and the rear is light. I don't know. Maybe tires with lower load value could better "absorb" torque. The expierements with pressure haven't helped. For now, there is 2,7 bar in front and 2,7 in rear. Maybe wider rear tires also causes some disturbance in contact with bumpy tarmac.

Last edited:
I think that the OEM tires for SLS (I think Clarkson drived regular version) are sport cups or sport cups 2. And SLS has less torque than my car and naturally aspirated engine (low torque on low rev)... and better weight distribution. If sport cups can't handle this I guess there is no help for me:) Actually the better comparison would be Mercedes SLR. 55AMG and SLR share the same engine.

What a terrific problem! Too much power...

Back when I used to track Vettes the PS2's could wear down in as little as 2000 miles! Usually we got 6000 or so.

The PSS is warranted for 30k miles, which seems to be light years better. Thank god you don't have those lousy Ventus V12's by Hankook, which are great for a week or two and then decline rapidly and wear out super fast.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: MercedesAMG_Pola
Thank you. I mixed them becuase of two reasons. First, I couldn't get PSS 265/40/18 (but I would love to use them as rear tires). Second, according to treadwear PS2 are supposed to be even softer than PSS (PSS TW 300, PS2 TW220). I have some idea, maybe this is really silly, the harder tires (in theory) in front don't cooperate properly with rear wheels. I run out of ideas.
The problem with s55 amg is that the car produces 700NM of torque from low rev. The car is quite long and the rear is light. I don't know. Maybe tires with lower load value could better "absorb" torque. The expierements with pressure haven't helped. For now, there is 2,7 bar in front and 2,7 in rear. Maybe wider rear tires also causes some disturbance in contact with bumpy tarmac.

Couldn't fit a 275 on it eh? i have 275/35/18's on the back of the M5 and the price of them in the Super Sport's was incredibly reasonable! Significantly cheaper than the OE PS2's.

Second, according to treadwear PS2 are supposed to be even softer than PSS (PSS TW 300, PS2 TW220).

A lower treadwear rating doesn't always mean softer/grippier compound.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Second, according to treadwear PS2 are supposed to be even softer than PSS (PSS TW 300, PS2 TW220).

A lower treadwear rating doesn't always mean softer/grippier compound.

And the treadwear number is often a marketing tool in either direction. Higher to try to market as longer lasting, and lower to give the impression that it's low wearing and thus must be grippier.

Also - softness of the compound doesn't always equate to wear. There's a lot of advances where softer rubber can still wear for a long time. Also - I've seen some summer tires that are rock hard at ambient temps, but where they get really soft once warmed up.

I can image that treadwear is only marketing and it doesn't good way to estimate the traction capabilities. However, it can be some benchamrk.

My OEM setup 245/45 and 265/40 already has some difference between front and rear tires. Putting 270/35 would cause too big difference. The only option is 275/40. I am not pretty sure about 275/40. Still it can be to much for the rim and the designed space for the tire. However, I am seriously considering Michelin A/S 275/40. I only found 99y instead of recommended 101y.

Not comparing apples to apples, but I have the PSS on my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 and I absolutely love them. In its current level of tune it makes 300 hp and 320 lb-ft of torque. No problems whatsoever with either traction or grip. So far I've run out of courage before I've run out of stick...
smile.gif

I can image that treadwear is only marketing and it doesn't good way to estimate the traction capabilities. However, it can be some benchamrk.

My OEM setup 245/45 and 265/40 already has some difference between front and rear tires. Putting 270/35 would cause too big difference. The only option is 275/40. I am not pretty sure about 275/40. Still it can be to much for the rim and the designed space for the tire. However, I am seriously considering Michelin A/S 275/40. I only found 99y instead of recommended 101y.

Yes, my car has the staggered setup factory too. 245/40/18 front, 275/35/18 rear.

I'd almost recommend you just run the stock M5 tire sizes instead, as you could likely get away with running the exact same setup as me on your car
21.gif

I guess it won't be looking really good on car and the comfort will deteriorate if I put m5 setup. also esp won't be working fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back