Michelin tires with cracks and only 7k miles on them - safe to use?

Hello All!

Very recently I bought this 2019 Chevy Bolt EV with only 7k miles on it. Car has been sitting at a GM dealer for at least 2 years waiting for new Lithium battery. They replaced the battery 2 months ago and the car was listed for sale.
It came with new looking Michelin tires but they have been manufactured in 2018 and likely because they were not driven much, 3 of the 4 tires have visible cracks close to the thread area. See picture.

I am thinking that these tires need to be replaced ASAP, however a local tire shop told me that these look like “surface cracks” and should not be high risk. Common issue with Michelin tires but they should be safe for awhile.

What do you think looking at the picture? Lots of thread left on these tires but the cracks are very visible too. Am I being paranoid?

View attachment 184326
Should be a warranty issue perhaps, but I'd say they're likely safe to drive to your local tire shop and swap out.

I have had Michelin tires over the years and never been impressed with them, you a lot for the name but the name for me is not worth 10c. Since the shenanigans and outright lies they pulled with Honda I will never buy another Michelin tire, they are far from being a reputable company IMO.
I've used Michelin, Firestone, Continental, Cooper, and Goodyear. The Michelins have been the absolute best performers for what their labels indicate. If someone just wants a round piece of rubber that holds air and rolls on a dry road, I think the Firestones do pretty well for cheap, as did the Coopers. However, if you want a tire that allows you to explore the higher end of the traction envelope in bad weather, Continental and Michelin are where it's at, with Pirelli recently doing a bit of development, but overall I've found Pirelli to be a low quality tire even in their $400+/ea lines.

If you read all the posts on here-Michelins are the greatest thing since the manual transmission. Therefore it must be your vehicle! :)

If you read all the posts on here-Michelins are the greatest thing since the manual transmission. Therefore it must be your vehicle! :)
It has nothing to do with better/worse in this instance. It's about performance for the intended purpose. If sitting on a lot for half a decade were the purpose, I'd probably not even put tires on it. Those of us who drive our cars tend to really like Michelins.

It has nothing to do with better/worse in this instance. It's about performance for the intended purpose. If sitting on a lot for half a decade were the purpose, I'd probably not even put tires on it. Those of us who drive our cars tend to really like Michelins.

That's really a spin answer.

Not all Michelins are good; some are really bad.
I had both Taurus and Fusion cars that came with Primacy MXM4 fat-man tires, and they were horrible in the rain and snow; absolutely dreadful. So bad that I took them off and got some top quality Conti tires. I realize that many Michelin tires are very good performers, but it's not at all true of all of them.

As for the OP ... it's sadly ironic ...
If you had said "I think these tires are bad Mr. Chevy Dealer, do you think I should buy new ones?", they surely would have stepped right up and sold you new tires. But because you want them covered under dealer good-will or OE warranty from Michelin, it'll be an uphill battle.

Not all Michelins are good; some are really bad.
I had both Taurus and Fusion cars that came with Primacy MXM4 fat-man tires, and they were horrible in the rain and snow; absolutely dreadful. So bad that I took them off and got some top quality Conti tires. I realize that many Michelin tires are very good performers, but it's not at all true of all of them.

As for the OP ... it's sadly ironic ...
If you had said "I think these tires are bad Mr. Chevy Dealer, do you think I should buy new ones?", they surely would have stepped right up and sold you new tires. But because you want them covered under dealer good-will or OE warranty from Michelin, it'll be an uphill battle.
MXM4 are some of the lowest rolling resistance tires you can get. If you bought them expecting amazing performance in other areas, well, yes, they did poor for sure.

MXM4 are some of the lowest rolling resistance tires you can get. If you bought them expecting amazing performance in other areas, well, yes, they did poor for sure.
I would expect them to have some grip even if there is a slightest hint of moisture on the road. They used to break loose on me from over spray from planter mediums in the center of the street....seriously.

A bit surprising to read the Michelin tire bashing.
I put Michelin tires on my old Civic, and now 2 sets on my F150, just bought my girlfriend new Michelins for Christmas, and had them on tow trucks, and logging trucks I've driven, and nothing but good to say about them.

Also used to work at a place that sold Michelin tires, and I've installed a lot of them, nothing but happy customers if we put on Michelins.

Don't get me started on Goodyear tires, I wouldn't drive on them if they were free.

Back