Michelin tires with cracks and only 7k miles on them - safe to use?

I have Michelin Defenders on one of my Civic's and doing the exact same, dry rot around the outside edges right there where the tread meets the sidewall but they've been on there for several years and don't get a lot of mileage either. I should probably check the date code or go back to when I purchased them from TR to get more of an idea. Previously I had their LTX/MS on my truck and started to see dry rot checking on the outside of the sidewall but when I bought the new tires it was way worse on the other side of the tire that you couldn't see unless crawling under it or removing the tire from the vehicle.

I'll see if I can get pictures of mine but I've been running them as is, certainly cannot afford another set of tires right now, I did just purchase a set of Falken's for the other but haven't had them installed just yet, I was waiting until I can swap the snow tires to run those over the winter and then get it done. I actually have to get this one inspected this month and the local garage I use is pretty good I can ask them about it but I know when in doubt always go with the safer option.

Last edited:
External cracks have no bearing on tire integrity. The surface of the tire, the external rubber, is not the structure of the tire.
Wrong. Those tires look terrible. I've had trailer blowouts too after running them with active sidewall cracks. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it's the luck of the draw, Goodyear and Firestone have been good for me.
If you are someone who puts a ton of miles on a vehicle quickly Michelin's are great, if you're someone like me who frequently replaces tires due to age not wear Michelins are the worst because of dry rot like the ones the OP has. For whatever reason they just dry out/crack sooner in my experience and from what I've read.

Hello All!

Very recently I bought this 2019 Chevy Bolt EV with only 7k miles on it. Car has been sitting at a GM dealer for at least 2 years waiting for new Lithium battery. They replaced the battery 2 months ago and the car was listed for sale.
It came with new looking Michelin tires but they have been manufactured in 2018 and likely because they were not driven much, 3 of the 4 tires have visible cracks close to the thread area. See picture.

I am thinking that these tires need to be replaced ASAP, however a local tire shop told me that these look like “surface cracks” and should not be high risk. Common issue with Michelin tires but they should be safe for awhile.

What do you think looking at the picture? Lots of thread left on these tires but the cracks are very visible too. Am I being paranoid?

View attachment 184326
They look deeper than "Surface cracks." If you notice the cracks are spreading right below where the tread block is. I'd be hesitant to keep driving on them.

If you are someone who puts a ton of miles on a vehicle quickly Michelin's are great, if you're someone like me who frequently replaces tires due to age not wear Michelins are the worst because of dry rot like the ones the OP has. For whatever reason they just dry out/crack sooner in my experience and from what I've read.
I don't put a ton of miles on a car anymore. Having said that dry rot hasn't been an issue for me. I've had tires on my E-150 and other vehicles for 10 years or more with no problems like the one pictured. My beef with Michelin was cord separation and their handling of it, which was basically telling me to go pound sand. They lost my business for good, not that it would matter to them. People I know who ask me about tires for their car, I share my experience and steer them away.

Interesting thread to me.
I always throught Michelins were the best out there.
are there any tires brands know for stability with time compared to michelins?
I own 2 vehicles and rotate driving them so each gets only about 8000 miles/ year

I just bought a set of cheap Michelins from Costco, I hope they don't crack like that. The dealer should replace them.

I own 2 vehicles and rotate driving them so each gets only about 8000 miles/ year
I had Pirelli at over 12 years with low miles with no cracking of any kind. I will take Pirelli over Michelin any time.

Those tires are going on 6 years old and have spent several years straight sitting outside on the asphalt. Not exactly a great life. I'd probably start looking for a new set. No manufacturer is going to reimburse you for 5-6 year old OE tires. Also OE tires are usually made to a lower standard.

This is exactly why I will never again purchase Michelin tires. I had to junk a set on my F-150 that were not even half worn down. No warranty from Michelin.
I now use Continental and they are excellent.

Had great luck with my Continentals on my neon. They had great longevity with no signs of cracking.

Hello All!

Very recently I bought this 2019 Chevy Bolt EV with only 7k miles on it. Car has been sitting at a GM dealer for at least 2 years waiting for new Lithium battery.

Wouldn’t the fact this car needed a new battery at 7k miles and that it took TWO YEARS to get a replacement be a bigger red flag than tires?

I’d put some Linglongs or Westlakes on it so when you have to park it in another 7k miles you don’t ruin another set of expensive tires.

This looks very similar to the Michelin cracks on my tire. I wonder if the "Green" tread compound formulation is a contributing factor...

Michelin really needs to address what needs to be changed in their chemistry to slow these cracks. As others have mentioned, I'm shopping for a new set of tires right now and will not pay the premium price for Michelin's this time around.

I wonder if Michelin has the same tread cracking showing up in their other brand of tires, i.e. the B.F. Goodrich and Uniroyal tires?

Mine are older than I thought, 5013 on the tire. Lots of tread left though, not even halfway wore out yet. This is probably the worst of mine, most are just like the OP's.

1000000625.jpg
1000000628.jpg

This looks very similar to the Michelin cracks on my tire. I wonder if the "Green" tread compound formulation is a contributing factor...

Michelin really needs to address what needs to be changed in their chemistry to slow these cracks. As others have mentioned, I'm shopping for a new set of tires right now and will not pay the premium price for Michelin's this time around.

I wonder if Michelin has the same tread cracking showing up in their other brand of tires, i.e. the B.F. Goodrich and Uniroyal tires?

It is age and exploitation issue! You can’t say: I know tires should be changed due to age, but….

I never had this issue with Michelin and I always have at least one set or more on vehicles. Their compound might be more prone to these conditions when vehicles are left collecting dust. But, bottom line is: age matters and there is no “but.”

Reactions: hrv
Back