Best Winter tire for FWD with a bit too much power....

I had Michelin Alpin A6 on the not-so-powerful, but torquey Alfa 156 last year and could not complain.

The OP's Ion seem to use 215/45-17, and the Michelin Alpin 6 is available in that size :)

That tire is not available in the US.

It is now, thanks to eBay's Global Shipping program. Unfortunately, it's very expensive :sneaky:

Winter tyre prices have shot up during the last two weeks after we got two days of snow in Germany, but that price seems a bit excessive.
Or is that supposed to be a set of 4?

In october you could get these around 100-110€ per tyre...

Winter tyre prices have shot up during the last two weeks after we got two days of snow in Germany, but that price seems a bit excessive.
Or is that supposed to be a set of 4?

In october you could get these around 100-110€ per tyre...
The tire Gods reminded you why “all” BS is just BS. All Germany ran toward all weather tires, and now you are punished 😂

It was a complete disaster. Two weeks ago, we got a few cm during the week, then another few (ok- not so few) cm the following saturday. That is when everything broke down. No snow plows on the road, no snow clearing on sidewalks and bike paths, no train service and no trams for about a week. Buses started driving again after two days, but not on all lines and with a random schedule.
You literally could not get anywhere.

Turns out the (green and leftist dominated) city council had voted a few years prior that climate change meant we will never see harsh winters again, and consequently has removed most of the snow- clearing capacities.
City-owned Munich Transit had to get a nearly 100year old work tram out of the transit museum to assist in the snow/ice clearing operation. One vintage vehicle and one snow plow for a city of 1.5 million people!
While the city of Munich itself is relatively flat, you can see the Alps from every two-storey building. We are that close.To imagine this city without snow is... insanity.

What irks me even more is the amount of complacency by those responsible - and the level of understanding by parts of the public. After all, there was snow! Totally understandable that civilisation breaks down when there is white stuff falling from the sky. Apparently, this has never happened before.
Snowflakes and snow...

(The desaster with the trains is not the city's fault, that was Deutsche Bahn to screw up. As anybody who has ever been to Germany knows, the most incompetent railroad in the world.)

Last edited:
For best snow and ice performance: regular winter tires like Viking 7, WS-90 or X-Ice Snow.

For best wet performance: performance winter like Alpin, LM005 or even all-weather like CC2 or Kinergy 4S2

Last edited:
It was a complete disaster. Two weeks ago, we got a few cm during the week, then another few (ok- not so few) cm the following saturday. That is when everything broke down. No snow plows on the road, no snow clearing on sidewalks and bike paths, no train service and no trams for about a week. Buses started driving again after two days, but not on all lines and with a random schedule.
You literally could not get anywhere.

Turns out the (green and leftist dominated) city council had voted a few years prior that climate change meant we will never see harsh winters again, and consequently has removed most of the snow- clearing capacities.
City-owned Munich Transit had to get a nearly 100year old work tram out of the transit museum to assist in the snow/ice clearing operation. One vintage vehicle and one snow plow for a city of 1.5 million people!
While the city of Munich itself is relatively flat, you can see the Alps from every two-storey building. We are that close.To imagine this city without snow is... insanity.

What irks me even more is the amount of complacency by those responsible - and the level of understanding by parts of the public. After all, there was snow! Totally understandable that civilisation breaks down when there is white stuff falling from the sky. Apparently, this has never happened before.
Snowflakes and snow...

(The desaster with the trains is not the city's fault, that was Deutsche Bahn to screw up. As anybody who has ever been to Germany knows, the most incompetent railroad in the world.)
Please....
The airport had 46cm of snow. Some places had 60cm and it is a record for the Munich area. That was followed, as you know, with freezing rain. If we had 2ft of snow here in Colorado Springs, the airport would also shut down and schools for a few days. We had 10cm of snow this morning my kid's school was canceled and my daughter's daycare was delayed at my work.
I actually managed to avoid that mess by a few days there.

The rain came several days after the snow. Yes, it was a record snowfall, but only barely (1 or 2 cm...). Heavy snowfall is typical for the region. Winter 2005/2006 was similar - and did not lead to a breakdown. 2010 also was challenging.
Problem is that the last couple of winters have been relatelively mild, and memory is short. Also, the climate change narrative (which is often misunderstood: global warming does not preclude cold local temperatures. A warmer atmosphere can hold more water, which means rain and snow events, if they occur, can be even more intense) lead to complacency.
City administration, MVG (Munich Transit) and DB management just were ill-prepared and/or panicked.

Munich no longer has adequavate snow capacities - many snow plows deemed unnenessary and decommissioned. In the 1980s, during heavy snowfalls, a task force of city officials would call up the unemployed, students, etc, give them shovels and ice picks and let them earn a handful of Marks per hour. This doesn't happen any more.

DB had stopped all trains in the early morning, just after the snowfall had begun - it was less than 15cm at that time. That was something that any train can handle. Had they kept running, frequent train traffic would have cleared the additional snow. Instead, they let it build up until it no longer could be handled and snowplows were needed.
Same with the catenary. By stopping traffic, they allowed wet snow to build up on the catenary, eventually shortening the isolators. Then the engines/EMUs sensed the power loss and lowered their pantographs, in several instances taking the catenary with it as the panto had frozen to the wire during hours of standstill.
And why did DB Netz stop traffic? Because there had been several trees collapsing under the load of the snow and falling on the rails... And that is criminal negligence. Until the late 1990s, DB owned a smalltalk strip of Land surrounding the tracks. Trees in this strip would be monitored and trimmed to a size that they could not endanger rail traffic, weak trees would be felled. The workforce for these jobs had been reduced to quasi non-existent (which is why spring and autumn winds also cause carnage and chaos every year).

The point is not that conditions were not challenging. The point is that the shutdown was completely avoidable. If I am paying the second highest taxes and the highest social security contributions in the developed world, I demand something back. The snowfall was just one in a line if many things showcasing that that which was once was taken for granted does not work any more. Our country keeps failing. And far to many people seem to be okay with this.

Last edited:
Why try to hire for shovel and ice pick work if unemployment benefits are probably higher than this kind of work's pay.
There would be no takers.

Just a guess.

Krzyś

The rain came several days after the snow. Yes, it was a record snowfall, but only barely (1 or 2 cm...). Heavy snowfall is typical for the region. Winter 2005/2006 was similar - and did not lead to a breakdown. 2010 also was challenging.
Problem is that the last couple of winters have been relatelively mild, and memory is short. Also, the climate change narrative (which is often misunderstood: global warming does not preclude cold local temperatures. A warmer atmosphere can hold more water, which means rain and snow events, if they occur, can be even more intense) lead to complacency.
City administration, MVG (Munich Transit) and DB management just were ill-prepared and/or panicked.

Munich no longer has adequavate snow capacities - many snow plows deemed unnenessary and decommissioned. In the 1980s, during heavy snowfalls, a task force of city officials would call up the unemployed, students, etc, give them shovels and ice picks and let them earn a handful of Marks per hour. This doesn't happen any more.

DB had stopped all trains in the early morning, just after the snowfall had begun - it was less than 15cm at that time. That was something that any train can handle. Had they kept running, frequent train traffic would have cleared the additional snow. Instead, they let it build up until it no longer could be handled and snowplows were needed.
Same with the catenary. By stopping traffic, they allowed wet snow to build up on the catenary, eventually shortening the isolators. Then the engines/EMUs sensed the power loss and lowered their pantographs, in several instances taking the catenary with it as the panto had frozen to the wire during hours of standstill.
And why did DB Netz stop traffic? Because there had been several trees collapsing under the load of the snow and falling on the rails... And that is criminal negligence. Until the late 1990s, DB owned a smalltalk strip of Land surrounding the tracks. Trees in this strip would be monitored and trimmed to a size that they could not endanger rail traffic, weak trees would be felled. The workforce for these jobs had been reduced to quasi non-existent (which is why spring and autumn winds also cause carnage and chaos every year).

The point is not that conditions were not challenging. The point is that the shutdown was completely avoidable. If I am paying the second highest taxes and the highest social security contributions in the developed world, I demand something back. The snowfall was just one in a line if many things showcasing that that which was once was taken for granted does not work any more. Our country keeps failing. And far to many people seem to be okay with this.
This sounds like what would happen if it snowed in Phoenix. Im surprised a city where it snows doesn't have snowplows

While global temps rise, the resulting weather becomes more extreme. The range of what is reasonable to prepare for has expanded not lessened. :cool:

I have a Saturn Ion Redline that I'm guessing makes a bit north of 200 whp, LSD and 0 traction control. It's a light car too, just 2900 lbs.

I bought a new set of Continental Winter Contact SI Plus tires last year, and wow these tires spin like crazy off the line if I'm not careful!
Especially if its wet out, if I am anywhere past 1/4 throttle, it's just spin city when the light turns green.
They are 'ok' in the snow slush and ice, but I have to be really easy on the gas of course.

For the other 3 seasons I run Michelin Pilot 4S tires, and they hook up better in the wet by far than the Conti winter tires.....

Recommendations for a winter tire for my Saturn?
CC2's. I previously ran PSAS4's, and the CC2's hook just as good in a straight line in the rain.

downsizing to a narrower size with a smaller diameter rim is best in snow + possibly the LSD may be worn + 4 snow tyres should be used. had a 2001 jetta 1.8 T with enhancements made 275 TQ + 250 HP + with a Quaife torque biasing differential installed + 4 misch pilot alpin snow tyres it was FANTASTIC in the snow + ran 195-65-15 tyres, stock were 16's + also used aftermarket 17s in summers with lo pro performance tyres

downsizing to a narrower size with a smaller diameter rim is best in snow + possibly the LSD may be worn + 4 snow tyres should be used. had a 2001 jetta 1.8 T with enhancements made 275 TQ + 250 HP + with a Quaife torque biasing differential installed + 4 misch pilot alpin snow tyres it was FANTASTIC in the snow + ran 195-65-15 tyres, stock were 16's + also used aftermarket 17s in summers with lo pro performance tyres
I also have a Quaife LSD that from what I understand is not supposed to wear out. I would be surprised if there was something wrong with it as the car only has 110 k miles on it and was never beat on. Of course I have snow tires on all four wheels, 205/55/16s. I've gotten used to these tires, as long as I'm careful on the launch....

I also have a Quaife LSD that from what I understand is not supposed to wear out. I would be surprised if there was something wrong with it as the car only has 110 k miles on it and was never beat on. Of course I have snow tires on all four wheels, 205/55/16s. I've gotten used to these tires, as long as I'm careful on the launch....
I dunno if it wears out or not, but a friend of mine had an SRT4 with a quaife LSD and it handled about 100 launches on slicks from near redline just fine. Car ran 11.8@122 pretty reliably. He powershifted it every shift on the track (and it sounded like a shotgun. Buddy could drive.)

Back