Michelin CrossClimate2 Installed

I thought I wanted these but I am having a hard time understanding how they get a B rating (second from the worst rating possible) in Wet traction. The B Rating is moulded right in the tire side wall for everyone to see. That rating came from testing data and does not match what is being said here. Are these just great snow tires and ok in everything else?

Can someone better versed in tire engineering and design please explain that discrepancy? Is it just the Halo effect? We want to like and justify what we spend our $ on.

Then it was also noted by many that the rolling resistance is very poor, resulting in significant MPG reductions. As gas gets to $4+ a gallon, with a fed govt. that is trying to drive it even higher, that is a very important consideration for tire selection for many.

But Consumer Reports magazine has them in their recommended column despite these same deficiencies that their testing proved. Perhaps waiting for cc3’s to come out is the best idea?

They fixed the wear and while doing it they lost enough wet traction to slip from A to B. In real numbers it may be really small difference but in grades it is A vs B.
IMHO

Krzys

Finally got the CC2's put to the test this weekend. Ice yesterday, probably 4-5" snow today.

In the ice yesterday, they did Very good overall. Unless you turned at too high speed or came upon a stop sign too fast, you hardly knew the ice was there. Just a thin coating, but slick none the less. Studded would be much better if one drove those conditions frequently. Still, I did slide around a couple corners until realizing how slick it was. My sidewalk was not as bad as the roads, due to tree coverage. This was just in town driving and not at highway speeds. 2018 Subaru Forester.

Hardly even knew the snow was there today. Climbed hills and did stopping quite well. Tires seem to be doing better than the factory Yokohama tires, and I never had any big complaints about them. They did better than I suspected they would, but close to 60,000 miles they were due for replacement.

I thought I wanted these but I am having a hard time understanding how they get a B rating (second from the worst rating possible) in Wet traction. The B Rating is moulded right in the tire side wall for everyone to see. That rating came from testing data and does not match what is being said here. Are these just great snow tires and ok in everything else?

Can someone better versed in tire engineering and design please explain that discrepancy? Is it just the Halo effect? We want to like and justify what we spend our $ on.

Then it was also noted by many that the rolling resistance is very poor, resulting in significant MPG reductions. As gas gets to $4+ a gallon, with a fed govt. that is trying to drive it even higher, that is a very important consideration for tire selection for many.

But Consumer Reports magazine has them in their recommended column despite these same deficiencies that their testing proved. Perhaps waiting for cc3’s to come out is the best idea?
I need to let ours wear in, but the hour drive home with them was very interesting. The rubber felt sooooft and the rolling resistance was less than the tires they replaced as her car wanted to coast “endlessly” compared to how it had been.
Correct car, not mine - that the facility guy Seans car.
He also has a 3/4 diesel sierra.

We have a pretty diverse group of vehicles amongst the crew.

Everybody pitches in including me as the CEO - thats my titan

Were keeping IT " spun up" as the power hits kill the system - flatten the UPS, then everything dies, then power comes back on and everything tries to reboot - in the middle of that power dies again, but the UPS's aren't charged back up and everyting crashes hard again .....and on and one so we keep the IT powered up.

We split genset watch.

The big diesel is coming .........

Nothings taking away our coffee.

View attachment 82560View attachment 82561View attachment 82562
this just makes me happy. Creative IT crews are the best when this kinda thing goes down.

our facility went thru a period where the cooling failed regularly. Acquisitions were painful and buying simple things like fans was awful. We regularly dumpster dove - and the guys came back one day with a mangled barrel fan. It took a fall while operating and the carnage was spectacular by the looks of it. We bent it all back, lashed the motor in place with too many zip ties since the metal mounts were torn, and kept a super long cord on it. Nobody wanted to stand near it while plugging it in….

Michelin claims the wet rating is outdated. But doesn’t mind that on the PS4S, it is AA, the best

The rating is based on a skidded tire on asphalt and concrete surfaces

ABS makes a skidding tire obsolete, but the tire does skid momentarily during its operation for its pulsing

Not always. The ABS doesn't have to wait until the tyre slips 100%. It could activate with 25% slip (car moving forward 4 ft and tyre only rotating for 3ft).

Drove the RX 350 yesterday in hard rain all over MA including highways and downtown Boston. I really like these tires. They were great in the rain in every way and I had to do a few very sudden stops from highway speed and took a couple of sharp roundabouts at speed. This is in comparison to the OEM tires which even when new did not have deep grooves and seemed to hydroplane easily. Now, let's see how far they go before needing replacement.

they are not strong on-center tires. You have to hold a counter steer against road crown, compared to the BFGs and the Bridgestones before that. They absorb road imperfections very well and are more quiet, at least right now, new. they do have a softer rubber feel which feels like they “hold” well in a turn, while also being a little loose. to her, she feels like they ”hug the road” more, while not being as precise as the previous tires.
I'm very surprised to read this as I find the CrossClimates to have a very good on center feeling on my Regal and my sister's Malibu. They aren't performance tires, but I found them to be noticeably more direct than my former Conti PureContacts I had prior on my Regal. It was really evident on the highway because crosswinds were a lot less noticeable on the CrossClimates. I guess it must be due to the sidewall size difference?

several factors I guess - crv will certainly have tall sidewalls. The other thing is just relative prior tires. Continentals are known for having some of the softest sidewalls in the bunch, so the CC2s by comparison may be more solid. Otoh, the bfgs we came from prior were stiff and direct.

i do concur, they feel good even if they aren’t as razor precise? Like the center on the crv is not “firm,” but it’s very consistent in the give between L/R, it’s very intuitive. we both quite like them.

So far, so good on the Mazda CX-5, no problem ascending 10% graded curve up the driveway on ice and snow. Found these tracks in the ice the next day. Snow clears very well from the tread. Fabulous tires, probably the best out of more than 30 sets of tires I have owned.

PXL_20220109_172529324.jpg

I’m experiencing the same. I’m glad this thread popped up, as mine were installed Friday. I’ve only put 50 miles on them or so. Brand new, there was just a little noise at specific speeds, and then they seem to somehow cancel out whatever noise they are making. They do seem to be getting quieter. They handle cracks and joints in the road very well. And, they were slightly quieter on the drive home than the Bridgestone potenzas which came off and were a very quiet tire.

I’ve taken back brand new tires before if I didn’t think they would work out. Im very pleased with these. The set on my wife’s CRV only growl on moderate braking or higher steering forces.

m

Sending my son to the dealership, his are done at less than 20,000 on his Equinox. We'll see what they say.
CrossClimate2? Every set I've seen wears like iron. Sure you aren't confusing these with the Premiers?

Sending my son to the dealership, his are done at less than 20,000 on his Equinox. We'll see what they say.
My guess is it's an alignment issue. My 2019 RX 350 ate the OEM tires in 20K miles and they were 20K very easy miles. You could see the outside edges were wearing faster than everything else by the first 5k mile tire rotation. When the new tires were installed I had an alignment done and while nothing was out of OEM spec the installer recommended reducing camber since it was the outside edges of the OEM tires that had worn out the fastest and increasing the inflation from 33psi to 38 psi. The result has been the outside edges are wearing evenly with everything else and the car has a much flatter and planted feel with handling.

Back