Metal shavings in oil at 20k!?!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I was overreacting to something that is normal? I've only been doing all of my own maintenance / repairs for two years. Never seen that while doing an oil change before.

It's summer and I do a TON of driving ... even moreso on the Focus now that gas is >$4 a gallon. My Cherokee just costs too much to drive at 13mpg.

I'll probably run this oil (m1 0-20) to 3500 miles, do a UOA on some fluid and change the filter. Then top it off and go to 4500 or so again.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: Miller88

My parents have a 2008 Jeep with a lifetime powertrane warranty; it knocks and burns oil (and we've found metal in the oil as well) and chrysler says it's normal.

No vehicle manufacturer gives a lifetime powertrain warranty. The power train includes the engine and the engine will wear out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powertrain

Chrysler did for a bit ... I don't think they realized that the engines in said Wranglers would self destruct at 50k miles ...

It's been good for a few CV Shafts, u joints and axle seals. I'd hate to see how the thing would hold up if my parents ever left the pavement with it ...

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I can think of one other thing to ask he OP.

Did he put seafoam into the intake at any point, any other maintenance like that he can think of.

NO. I don't use seafoam. Tried it once on my first car and the intake manifold exploded during the seafoam treatment.

Other than a handful of oil changes, I've rotated the tires, put on snow tires, changed the wiper blades and replaced the carpet (Long story)

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

I wouldn't try to use someone else's receipts or otherwise lie about it, aside from the fact it is dishonest and a fine example of not taking responsibility for one's actions
31.gif
they probably won't buy it anyway and they will be disinclined to try to help when they catch
29.gif

Honesty is the best policy (even though I mentioned trading it ...). If they ask, I'm going to tell them what I used ... it's also written in the log book.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: Trav
I agree its not uncommon to very small specs in the filter but the only problem i have with this is why are they not in the filter? Are the particles he saw come out in the oil to big to pass through the oil pickup screen.
I think that would be a problem.

How about this.. in warming it up for the oil change, it reached high enough rpms to go to bypass and some flakes were dislodged into the pan?

I drove it on the highway at 70mph for 70 miles or so. Let the car idle in the driveway for a minute, drove it on the ramps and immediately drained the oil.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Is this engine a timing chain engine, or a timing belt engine?

If it were my car, and a timing chain engine, I would pop off the valve cover, and look around the timing chain areas to see if the chain has stretched, and is hitting the block or valve cover anywhere.

If yes, then I would take the car into the dealer, and tell them you just did an oil change, saw shavings in the oil that you drained, popped off the valve cover, and saw damage.

They won't deny the warranty if you have visible evidence of damage.

And honestly, just having a log book with so much information in it, you might meet their requirement for documentation, even without receipts. Some dealers are very forgiving if you have lots of information, but no actual receipts.

BC.

Timing Chain. But pulling off stuff on a brand new car ... kind of worries me.

Last edited:

I wouldn't be pulling parts to inspect a timing chain on a new car under warranty either. That gives them room to blame you if something doesn't go back together properly or leaks. Bring it in and have them check it out, at least it will be logged in their system if there's no problems at the moment. Going forward use the recommended oil.

Unlikely the timing chain have an issue with so low of miles . You would hear a knocking some unusual noise if the chain was slapping and shaving metal .
Like I said before , unless you are noticing an unusual noise just put the 5W20 oil (keep receipts from purchase and log date/milage when done or have done at a service centre) in it and drive it for a while . If you feel something is wrong take it to the dealer and let them have a look . Don't say anything about using other oils and finding bits of metal in the oil filter , just go in as a conerned owner knowing nothing except you think something is wrong .

Maybe I was overreacting to something that is normal?

yes, I hinted that in my previous post. it depends on what light you use to examine oil.

Light is always important. That's why I seldom pay attention to oil color and similar phenomena unless it's a huge departure from the norm. Otherwise, I'd be prone to constant panic attacks.
wink.gif

Keep us updated, Miller88!

When you say does not meet their specs, are you speaking of just the viscosity because other than that, I think most if not all Castrol oils are API certified for SN and thus should meet warranty standards for Ford. This situation reminds me of an earlier thread where it turned out a hybrid owner found out after a number of oil changes that the shop had been using 5W-20 instead of the specified 0W-20, and was concerned future problems would manifest even though none had yet. No one on BITOG thought there should be any cause for concern given the slight difference in the oil. I think that's the situation here. I can't imagine how the slightly thinner 0W-20 could have caused enough of a problem to create visible shavings. I would put in Motorcraft 5W-20 plus a Motorcraft filter, drive it a while and then do an oil analysis and then see where you are. I agree with the other postings to use 5w-20 from now on, keep receipts, and if future issues do arise, don't volunteer anything about the 0W-20, because using that shouldn't have been the cause of whatever issue turns out to be the case, and would create an improper basis to deny an otherwise valid warranty claim.

Maybe I was overreacting to something that is normal? I've only been doing all of my own maintenance / repairs for two years. Never seen that while doing an oil change before.

I don't think you can go as far as to say it's normal. It may not be disastrous but it's certainly strange.

The reality is you have 16k left on warranty, and if there is a major problem you need to get it documented before that. If this was mine, I would do 2500 mi OCI up until 30,000. Go with Motorcraft 5w20 or PYB 5w20. Continue watching the oil and filter for metal, do a UOA at 27.5k and 30k and consider getting particle count if you still suspsect a problem. At 30k you can go to Ford and present the evidence you have and get it taken care of.

Also invest in a filter cutter so you don't accidentally hack off a body part. That pic you posted looks like your filter was attacked by a rabid honey badger.

Honey-Badger-Dont-Care.jpg

Well my day has been ruined.

I just changed the oil on my 2011 focus (19k Miles) and I noticed a lot of metal shavings.

This is bad isn't it?

I know Ford is going to give me the runaround if the engine comes apart.

1) I didn't keep receipts from when I bought the oil, but I DID keep track of when I did the oil changes

2) I used 0w-20 Castrol Oil (does not meet their specs).

Guess I should pay it off as quick as I can and trade it?

Happened to a neighbor of mine - same vehicle.
He switched to Pennzoil 5W-30 and the problem solved itself... no more shavings.

My Mazda 3 2.3 had similar issues small shavings ... car is now 180k KM still going strong !

I bet that your car is fine ... and you never noticed it ... thats why we have filters!

Last edited:
[/quote]

They're getting out of the warranty anyway; even if I brought it to a Ford dealer to get the oil changed ... they would get out of it. You don't make money by honoring warranty claims. [/quote]

I never had any problems with Ford honoring warranty claims. NOT honoring warranties is a sure way to not sell cars.

So if pulling stuff off of a new car worries you, when you say "pan" do you mean the oil filter can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back