Mercedes Diesel Oil Change Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the ease with which you can have real issues with a dpf equipped engine i would change it ASAP.

Though Merc are not as prone to issues as other manufacturers such as Vauxhall and Alfa etc with the 1.9cdti lump.

Just isn't worth the risk.

I would likely leave the filter in situ though.

How expensive was this Hengst filter?

Might be an idea to find s rekative in the UK to order your filters via EuroCarParts or German & Swedish.

Never heard of any issues with pattern manufacturers deliberately making their filters different and causing issues however. And there are a lot of diesel Mercs in the UK and Europe.

I have used Hengst filters a lot and they seem identical to OE, i would suspect the mske the OE filters.

In fact a lot of the "pattern" filters that i buy are usually made by the OE supplier but are much cheaper in a non manufacturer box.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Would probably be wise to stick to OEM filters from this point forward IMHO.

Hehehe. If there was ever a reason to go with the oem part I think this qualifies as being it.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I run a large fleet of Sprinters with the MB 3.0L diesel. I spec only OEM filters and M1 5W-40 229.51 spec oil. In saying that I know of a larger Sprinter fleet that has been rnning 15W-40 HDEO and they are starting to have issues. I have not had any.
In speaking with MB, their 2013 3.0 diesel is capable of 16,000 mile OCI and though they won't put it in writing, the older 3.0 Liters with M1 oil should be capable of same OCI.
Back to your problem. You will be fine with the 2.5 quarts of PU until next OC.

What kind of issues?

Would probably be wise to stick to OEM filters from this point forward IMHO.

Exactly- although I realize that the OP didn't have any other options in his situation.

You are right. I was forced to find an alternative since the oil had been drained and if I did not get the car back in service I would face the wrath of my spouse. After installing the only filter available to me on a Sunday afternoon,she was not at all happy that her "mechanic" had transformed her dream car into the Exxon Valdez! I had to get it going and cleaned up so I could then degrease the motor and attempt to clean up 2 1/2 qts. of greasy black diesel synthetic off my garage floor....great way to spend a beautiful Sunday..NOT!!

Originally Posted By: JustinC
Mann filters are OEM for most Mercedes.

Yup, and some BMW's. Though the one for my M5 is Hengst.

Here's a MANN and a HENGST (both for the S62):

You'll notice there are a couple of differences.

m5filter01.jpg

m5filter03.jpg

If your ever in a pinch find a Carquest, they bought Worldpac a few years ago so they can pretty much get any German part you want and have most in stock.

I'd bet $20 that my local Carquest has a German oil filter for that car in stock, probably a Mann or Hengst. They also have Mercedes, BMW, Toyota coolant on the shelf along with probably whatever spec oil the new ones call for.

Last edited:
Mann filters are OEM for most Mercedes.

Yup, and some BMW's. Though the one for my M5 is Hengst.

Here's a MANN and a HENGST (both for the S62):

You'll notice there are a couple of differences.

m5filter01.jpg

m5filter03.jpg

I tend to use whatever I can get from PelicanParts. It's usually either a Mahle, or a Mann. Interesting the difference though.

kenO,

mahle ox68 or the higher end ox187 is the factory filter for your car.

Factory? Sweet!! I'll take a look on the shelf tonight when I get home and let you know what I have.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
You are right. I was forced to find an alternative since the oil had been drained and if I did not get the car back in service I would face the wrath of my spouse. After installing the only filter available to me on a Sunday afternoon,she was not at all happy that her "mechanic" had transformed her dream car into the Exxon Valdez! I had to get it going and cleaned up so I could then degrease the motor and attempt to clean up 2 1/2 qts. of greasy black diesel synthetic off my garage floor....great way to spend a beautiful Sunday..NOT!!

You can reuse the old cartridge filter for few hundreds miles without any negative effect to the engine or the oil.

I had a wix oil filter newly installed blow out an o-ring and seize my motor, does anyone know of an independent testing facility that could determine whether it was caused by a faulty o-ring?

Originally Posted By: frankrizzo2
I had a wix oil filter newly installed blow out an o-ring and seize my motor, does anyone know of an independent testing facility that could determine whether it was caused by a faulty o-ring?

I'd suggest you start a new thread.

I realize that this is an old post but there is a lot of wrong info in it. I have that engine and have used the Wix filter in it with no problems. It came with one in it from the dealer. You don't use a fleece filter in the diesels. The dealers don't. The Mann and Mahle filters for this engine are not fleece.
As to the original poster, the only thing 2 qts. of non 239.51 oil would do is possibly cause the DPF to regenerate a little more often.

Unless all the oil left the engine within a few seconds the reason your engine sized is you never noticed the oil light/oil smell/smoke coming from under the bonnet.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I realize that this is an old post but there is a lot of wrong info in it. I have that engine and have used the Wix filter in it with no problems. It came with one in it from the dealer. You don't use a fleece filter in the diesels. The dealers don't. The Mann and Mahle filters for this engine are not fleece.
As to the original poster, the only thing 2 qts. of non 239.51 oil would do is possibly cause the DPF to regenerate a little more often.

That not really factual. There would be more issues than just more regens. It would be more likely to get blocked with Ash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjl

Unless all the oil left the engine within a few seconds the reason your engine sized is you never noticed the oil light/oil smell/smoke coming from under the bonnet.

This occurred on the highway and the driver said it started smoking/light came on so he immediately started crossing over traffic to get to the breakdown lane and by the time he got over their then engine stalled and seized.

Is anyone aware of a testing facility, that would be able to test the o-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back