MC FL-820S Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just post the one I cut today . Since I found a lot black crush on my filter . Imma reduce to very short oil change which is 2000 miles or 3 month . I will cut that one open too on next oil change .
How many miles on your engine, and which engine is it? What's your normal OCI on said engine?

How many miles on your engine, and which engine is it? What's your normal OCI on said engine?
The 2010 F150 platium 5.4 3v 163k miles . I don’t know history . My wife grand father owning it and pass on to her . I will do 2-3k oil change on this Until the black crush decrease . Then I will do 4-5k miles oil change . Engine is quiet and doesn’t have cam phaser noise thing . It sound like sewing machine

My son buys his 820S filters from work. Maybe they are REAL Ford MC filters and the others are knock offs being sold by WM and other places.
I know, it even sounds far fetched to me. And, l cant explain why his filter looks better. The WM theory is just me reaching for some kind of answer. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I get where you are coming from.

If they just fixed the media distribution in the fl 820s to be like yours... Or even added just a bit more... Then they would be like the awesome FL 400s and FL 500s etc etc.... Those filters always look great and darn near perfect after being run.

I'm glad yours looked rather decent. 7/10 ain't bad... It's good in my opinion.

Heck that proselect looked like a 2/10 and that's being generous..... Talk about a piece of junk.

Fram fixed their issues with their filters by just... Adding a bit more media in them. The 3604, 4967, 3600, pH 8s, pH 16s.... Have been much better on average due to just adding some filter media to them. Some of those filters did look rather rough because of not quite enough filter media. For these last 5-6 years those filters have been improved. And the Fram Force I believe has an additional 15 or 20 percent more filter media too. Not too shabby.

The 2010 F150 platium 5.4 3v 163k miles . I don’t know history . My wife grand father owning it and pass on to her . I will do 2-3k oil change on this Until the black crush decrease . Then I will do 4-5k miles oil change . Engine is quiet and doesn’t have cam phaser noise thing . It sound like sewing machine
My son owns a new style 2004 Lariat F150, 5.4 3V, 80K miles.
The truck sat for almost 10 years in a garage with 48K miles. It came into the Ford dealership as a trade in. When he saw it he asked to buy it. $5K later, it was his. He too did a few 2K mile OCI's on it, then went to 5K-7.5K mile OCI's.
An elderly man bought it new in 04. He passed away in 08 and the truck sat until 2018. His wife traded it and a Ford Taurus in for a 2018 Explorer.

Reactions: Job
My son owns a new style 2004 Lariat F150, 5.4 3V, 80K miles.
The truck sat for almost 10 years in a garage with 48K miles. It came into the Ford dealership as a trade in. When he saw it he asked to buy it. $5K later, it was his. He too did a few 2K mile OCI's on it, then went to 5K-7.5K mile OCI's.
An elderly man bought it new in 04. He passed away in 08 and the truck sat until 2018. His wife traded it and a Ford Taurus in for a 2018 Explorer.
5.4 3v is good engine if you do oil change early . My 2005 expedition is at 248k miles

I agree. There is NOTHING wrong with these filters when autopsied by the "RIGHT" person.
You say that with a great deal of arrogance.
I have cut open over 100 filters over the past 12 years or so.
3 of those 100+ had torn pleats, ALL 3 were Purolator made filters, 1 was a Motorcraft fl800s from my Superduty, one was from my brothers 91 oldsmobile, 1 was from my old 99 Saturn sedan.
None were run extended periods, none faced any extreme use.
Most of the filters I use now are Wix, or Amsoil filters, and I have used plenty of Champion labs made AC delco filters in the past and never experienced a tear.
I'm not sure if you are insinuating the dozens of filter cutters that have posted torn Motorcrafts and Purolators are dishonest or incompetent.
I typically cut my filters apart with a cutoff wheel as close to the seam as possible. The media is never touched by the cutting process and the cans are not deformed.
Just because you have cut open a couple that have not failed, does not mean they are not prone to failure.
Even a broken clock shows the correct time twice a day!

3 of those 100+ had torn pleats, ALL 3 were Purolator made filters, 1 was a Motorcraft fl800s from my Superduty, one was from my brothers 91 oldsmobile, 1 was from my old 99 Saturn sedan.
Most of the filters I use now are Wix, or Amsoil filters, and I have used plenty of Champion labs made AC delco filters in the past and never experienced a tear.
I'm not sure if you are insinuating the dozens of filter cutters that have posted torn Motorcrafts and Purolators are dishonest or incompetent.
I typically cut my filters apart with a cutoff wheel as close to the seam as possible. The media is never touched by the cutting process and the cans are not deformed.
Just because you have cut open a couple that have not failed, does not mean they are not prone to failure.
These clocks AREN'T broken until their windings are in OTHERS hands! I hope I'm not being too ARROGANT for you! :rolleyes:
BTW, you know what they say about opinions, right? Well, you're entitled to yours. 🤐

Reactions: Job
😂

FL820S Conspiracy.jpg

So... let me see if I understand. You've cut open over 100 filters. One with torn pleats was Motorcraft FL800. We have no idea any other factors (miles driven, conditions, issues with the motor, etc.). So less than 1% was a MC product. And it wasn't even the subject 820S filter so it's irrelevant.

Sir, every product made is prone to failure. You haven't cut open a single 820S that has failed, nor more importantly shown any engine damage of any car caused by a failed 820S filter, out of the 100+ filters you've cut open.

If anything, this data is irrelevant, inconsequential, or even means the 820S is a darn good filter!

Nothing wrong with Purolator made filters tearing. This is getting good. 😂 Reminds me of 2014 when this all started.

Nothing wrong with Purolator made filters tearing. This is getting good. 😂 Reminds me of 2014 when this all started.

Once an Audi crashed in snowy weather, therefore a duck should never fly south at noon from a small creek, unless a farmer planted corn the previous day.

Once an Audi crashed in snowy weather, therefore a duck should never fly south at noon from a small creek, unless a farmer planted corn the previous day.
That's also part of flat earth logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back