Mazda 2.5L Turbo oil Choice?

So I decided on Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro C3.
Wondering what the Bitog views are re: this choice for my Turbo Cx-30?
I have been reading a lot trying to understand low/mid SAPS, intake deposit, burn off issues, C3 vs A3 etc.
Planning 5k OCI.
Right now it is still factory fill, just researching for my 1st oil change and going forward.
Haven't seen a lot of good info re: the Mazda turbo's so thought I might ask and get a good thread going.
TIA!

So I decided on Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro C3.
Wondering what the Bitog views are re: this choice for my Turbo Cx-30?
I have been reading a lot trying to understand low/mid SAPS, intake deposit, burn off issues, C3 vs A3 etc.
Planning 5k OCI.
Right now it is still factory fill, just researching for my 1st oil change and going forward.
Haven't seen a lot of good info re: the Mazda turbo's so thought I might ask and get a good thread going.
TIA!
Good oil. There are better though.
Mobil1 ESP 5W30
Mobil1 ESP 0W30 (Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts, $33-37 for 5qt+filter).
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 (Wal Mart $22 for 5qt).

Use Castrol with confidence. I personally would move after to one of Mobil1’s.

if your wallet is up to it a real synthetic is best, but shorter intervals like 5 thou is a good move IMO. you could use a 10-30 typical fake synthetic unless it causes starting issues which can happen in very cold temps. i would schedule my changes so a 5-30 goes in for the coldest months. 200 thou on my "enhanced" 2001 1.8T jetta without turbo issues with a real synthetic 10-30 in Pa weather , 10 thou intervals while working + driving a lot as 1 thou monthly + 10 thou or 12 months after retiring on real PAO- Ester synthetic, still had 20" vacuum at trade + minimal usage while running GREAT!!

M1 ESP 5W-30 is a great place to start. And in case you're interested, Ravenol VMP 5W-30 is a solid choice as well.
PP Euro 5W-30 is one of the choices you might want to look at.

if your wallet is up to it a real synthetic is best, but shorter intervals like 5 thou is a good move IMO. you could use a 10-30 typical fake synthetic unless it causes starting issues which can happen in very cold temps.
I don’t think that word means what you think it means. GTL is synthetic according to the definition, so is a severely hydrocracked oil:

Attachments

• 2275D15C-44C7-41EA-8C90-246592504E0B.jpeg
    2275D15C-44C7-41EA-8C90-246592504E0B.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the replies!

Can you expand on why Mobil 1 ESP over Castrol Euro C3?

Also is ACEA C3 rating the rating that I am looking for?

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 has a lower Noack Volatility at 6.x % as was posted in the Russian oil club, high flash point at 254 celsius degree which do not indicate anything but it is higher anyway 😁, higher HTFS as listed in Gokhan's calculator that will benefit the valve train and piston rings which experience full shear where the base oil will be the only contributer to the viscosity and the VIIs have zero effect (higher viscosity base oil with less reliance on VIIs as in Castrol Euro C3 5W-30) also less VIIs translates to higher thermal stability and less deposits formation.
(HTFS) High temperature/Full shear base oil viscosity
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - 2.64 cSt
Castrol Euro C3 - 2 cSt
Ravenol VMP 5W-30 - 2.98 cSt
PP Euro 5W-30 - 2.61

Look at the following attachments, and you will come to a conclusion yourself why M1 ESP is better than Castrol C3.

Shear rate in engine.jpg
HTHS and wear.jpeg
HTHS and fuel economy.jpeg

Thanks for the replies!

M1 ESP 5w30 carries VW 504/507 which is slightly more stringent than VW 505.00 and can also meet the fuel efficiency requirement of C2.. Castrol Euro C3 (aka Castrol SLX) meets VW 505.00. I used both of these oils from 2010-2015 in my BMW 335d as it had LL04 at the time (BMW dealers used Castrol SLX for the diesels).

ACEA C3 reflects a family of engine oils which are designed to preserve emissions system components (DPF, TWC, and now GPF) while also meeting the same performance requirements of ACEA A3/B4. C3 uses a different additive chemistry vs A3/B4. European automakers build their own specifications on top of ACEA. These oils were introduced in Western Europe prior to 2010 when the area started to refine ULSD and ULSG. The US moved to ULSG about 2 years ago.

A3/B4 based euro specs - BMW LL01. Mercedes 229.50, VW 502, Porsche A40.
C3 based euro specs - BMW LL04, Mercedes 229.51, VW 504/507, Porsche C40/C30

Last edited:
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 has a lower Noack Volatility at 6.x % as was posted in the Russian oil club, high flash point at 254 celsius degree which do not indicate anything but it is higher anyway 😁, higher HTFS as listed in Gokhan's calculator that will benefit the valve train and piston rings which experience full shear where the base oil will be the only contributer to the viscosity and the VIIs have zero effect (higher viscosity base oil with less reliance on VIIs as in Castrol Euro C3 5W-30) also less VIIs translates to higher thermal stability and less deposits formation.
(HTFS) High temperature/Full shear base oil viscosity
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - 2.64 cSt
Castrol Euro C3 - 2 cSt
Ravenol VMP 5W-30 - 2.98 cSt
PP Euro 5W-30 - 2.61

Look at the following attachments, and you will come to a conclusion yourself why M1 ESP is better than Castrol C3.

View attachment 118576View attachment 118577View attachment 118578
No it doesn’t. That is old VISOM version. Not available for 5 years already.
Current ESP 5W30 has Noack 7.1%.

ACEA C3 is what almost (all?) European approvals from mid 2000s
are based on (except those using 0W/5W-20 recent ten years). You
can hardly go wrong with C3 on any modern DI turbo engine. They
range from 0W-30 to 5W-40 and all share a minimum HTHS of 3.5
mPas.
Personally I used to run M1 ESP 5W-30 and currently use Ravenol
VMP (VW 504 00, LL-04 and MB229.51) and REP (LL-04 and 229.51).
All cars got their 1st OC before 1000 mls, a 2nd at ~2000 mls, then
roughly every 5000 mls from on. I use to use OE filters (Purflux and
Mann). I won't talk about my classic Porsche as it's a different matter.

Last edited:
I was just shocked at my local Mazda dealer after my first complimentary oil change (5200 miles) on my 2022 CX-5 turbo. The invoice stated they put in 5W30 "Conventional" oil. I inquired, and they stated the turbo takes conventional oil, and the rest of the engines take synthetic. I then asked if they had the cars directly opposite, or was there a semantics issue? No, turbos require conventional.
I find these recommendations completely opposite of what I have always thought. I am writing Mazda direct to see if I am confused.

I was just shocked at my local Mazda dealer after my first complimentary oil change (5200 miles) on my 2022 CX-5 turbo. The invoice stated they put in 5W30 "Conventional" oil. I inquired, and they stated the turbo takes conventional oil, and the rest of the engines take synthetic. I then asked if they had the cars directly opposite, or was there a semantics issue? No, turbos require conventional.
I find these recommendations completely opposite of what I have always thought. I am writing Mazda direct to see if I am confused.

Your owner's manual will clarify this for you.

Additionally there aren't really any conventional oils anymore. They are all some type of blend, even if they say conventional.

Your owner's manual will clarify this for you.

Additionally there aren't really any conventional oils anymore. They are all some type of blend, even if they say conventional.
The owners manual says to use 5W-30 with SM or SN rating. It does not specify synthetic.

I was going to ask what the owner's manual recommends? Just a viscosity or any specific requirements? That would be a good starting point on what it NEEDS and then you get to speculate from there. But at least you would have a minimum starting point.

The owners manual says to use 5W-30 with SM or SN rating. It does not specify synthetic.

They are trying to keep it simple I guess. On the flip side, what would be the benefit of running a so called “conventional “ oil over a synthetic?

Conventional is more synthetic like than anything. Going by the API designation is more specific although the manual’s reference is outdated.

Conventional is cheaper for the US consumer and the marketing dept.

Don't worry about the brand. Any of the 3.5 hths 30 grade euro oils will work just fine

Thanks for the replies!

I think Mazda recommends an api sm or higher oil. not sure but they may recommend a ilsac rated oil. Castrol 5w30 K is rated sp but not ilsac rated. The acea c3 rating is the euro rating for light duty diesel and some euro gasoline engines. Im sure some senior members here can guide further, I'm still learning
I'm actually interested to hear what other say. I was trying to find a sp rated 5w30 rated oil to possibly put in my 2 new eco boosts and hadn't found any till I looked up the Castrol you were thinking of using. it just lacking the latest ilsac rating

Back