Maintenance battle plan to keep 2018 F150 to 300k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I'm trying to form a maintenance battle plan to with the intent of keeping my 2018 F150 (ecoboost, 4x4) to 300k miles. The vehicle is 90% daily driver for me, 10% towing 7k lbs (which is over 90% of GCWR and GCWR). Anything in the list (or not in the list but should be) that catches your eyes?

Thanks a bunch!

-kehyler

• Check fluid levels every 2 months or 2.5k miles
  • Rotate tires every 5k miles
  • Change engine oil with 5w-30 M1 HM EP every 7.5k miles or 12 months using Motorcraft FL-2062 or Fram TG11955 filter
  • Car washes during the winter every 1 month
  • Replace engine air filter every 30k miles or 18 months
  • Trans, Transfer, Diff oils, and drive belt every 75k miles or 6 years using oem or better fluids
  • Engine coolant every 50k miles or 3 years
  • Spark plugs every 60k miles or 10 years
  • Brake fluid every 60k miles or 4 years

Last edited:
I think your plan is good. I personally might do some of the changes sooner on my truck but my f150 is much older than yours so I think your plan and timing is good. Good luck with the maintenance. Most people have pretty much no idea about how to keep up vehicles. They just drive them and wonder why they break down when they did nothing to prevent it.

Sounds like a real good plan. I always think when I buy a vehicle I will keep it for a long time but usually I trade them off. I did buy my Corvette in 2005 and
still have it. I plan on keeping my 2014 F-150 a long time but I only put on a about 5,000 miles per year mostly towing a boat.

I change my transfer case fluid every two years. It's almost as easy as changing motor oil. Putting a transfer case and a diff on the same maintenance schedule is a mistake in my opinion.

Last edited:
Like your post on the Prius I would have the undercarriage sprayed with rust inhibitor such as Krowne or quivalent on a regular basis if you are really serious about getting 300,000 miles. It may take 15 years to do it.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I change my transfer case fluid every two years. It's almost as easy as changing motor oil. Putting a transfer case and a diff on the same maintenance schedule is a mistake in my opinion.

I was under the impression that transfercases are very easy on fluids?

Originally Posted by kehyler

You need to clean this hairy looking magnetic drain plug.

3A6A6427-DD21-4AF9-8709-AE591DAC509B.jpeg

Last edited:

Ditto … and I have been doing that since 1979 … expensive piece of kit that can leave you stranded miles from nowhere … with only 7k on my Z71 that drain plug magnet could not hold another spec of metal … so that new fluid comes out in one year … cheap and easy to do. In fact (unlike my 2010) … don't even take the skid plate off to do the 2018 …

I put Delvac 1 in the rear and ATF in the middle … for some reason I have more faith in the gear oil too …

Last edited:
Engine oil topped up is really the only fluid besides not overheating vehicle that matters. Everything else is icing.

Check oil every 1000 miles.

IF it were mine I'd get a magnet(s) on the outside of, or in the dome of that filter and get a high quality drain plug mag as well.

I'd up the filter to the best stuff I could spin on.

I'd be trying to keep whatever iron I could out of that timing chain. That chain stretches out too much its alike a 3-4K job.

UD

Originally Posted by 4WD

Ditto … and I have been doing that since 1979 … expensive piece of kit that can leave you stranded miles from nowhere … with only 7k on my Z71 that drain plug magnet could not hold another spec of metal … so that new fluid comes out in one year … cheap and easy to do. In fact (unlike my 2010) … don't even take the skid plate off to do the 2018 …

I put Delvac 1 in the rear and ATF in the middle … for some reason I have more faith in the gear oil too …

Very, very smart 4wd...

Ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure
smile.gif

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
What is your battle plan for direct injection carbon coking?

The port injectors that Ford put in the 2018 model, which was one reason that I waited for 2018.

The owner's manual says to change it every 150,000 miles, so I feel like I'm already being aggressive. Do you really think every two years is necessary?

Originally Posted by UncleDave

IF it were mine I'd get a magnet(s) on the outside of, or in the dome of that filter and get a high quality drain plug mag as well.

I'd be trying to keep whatever iron I could out of that timing chain. That chain stretches out too much its alike a 3-4K job.

UD

I've heard of timing chain issues on the early 3.5 ecoboosts, but not yet on the 2.7s. Do you know of issues with the 2.7 as well?

Originally Posted by kehyler

You need to clean this hairy looking magnetic drain plug.

Yuck.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

Also, any chance you know of a source for such magnets?

If you are towing, I would service the transmission every 40,000 miles. It probably doesn't have a dipstick in the tranny but for tow vehicles that do, I vacuum out as much fluid as I can and replace it once per year. Just me. I'm close to 180,000 miles on my Burb. Tranny works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back