M1 in Indy car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They normally put in a brand new engine for the race. They run it on "carb" day, the Thursday before the race and then on race day. At least the top teams do, the smaller ones may use the same engine for practice, qualifying and the race without a rebuild/change.

Quote:

153798862-S.jpg

Hey look, it's Kenny Rogers in the background!
laugh.gif

Quote:

I'll be up at Indy for the the Formula 1 Grand Prix. My 18 year old son and I will be camped out in lot 1A for June 14-17. If any of you are around, I will have an Allegro Bay Motorhome with a 4 ft Amsoil sticker on the back. Stop by and say hi.

I'll definitely try
wink.gif

driving.gif

I'll be at the camp site 4A, back roll under the east side tree in a Crossroads Silverado 5er.

Come on by for a drink at the "Biggest Spectral in Sports."

offtopic.gif
Tim, U.S MotoGP is working out details to run the bikes on the speedway for the 1st time since 1909. 1st race set for 2008, hope to see you there.

At the Toronto Indy (CART) about 5-6 years ago I saw them pouring in red cap M1 15W50. As someone else pointed out, it was an M1 bottle anyways. In the day I thought "cool!", because I was using the same oil. On reflection, it seemed so staged. The paddock was packed with people checking out the cars, mechanic comes out and sets the M1 bottle down on top of the car in a beam of light with the nice clean label perfectly facing the crowd, messes around under the car, adjusts the oil bottle.
smile.gif
Why would a race team that does so many OCIs be using 1L bottles? Red cap was available in gallon jugs from Walmart at the time, and obviously a large consumer can probably get drums of it.

For the OP, I've only ever seen M1 0W40 in 1L containers, but that wasn't the case with 15W50.

Quote:

Let me know the dates. Our plan is to become half time RV'ers.

offtopic.gif
You must have gotten a different pension plan that I did. I'm just plain old "half time"
grin.gif

Back on topic: I could see them using quarts at the race track due to contamination issues. Next time someone observes something like this try to find out if the bottles are factory sealed or if there are any factory sealed cases setting around. Some of the things you have to realize is that some of the oils that you can buy off the shelf today are better than the racing oils of 20 to 30 years ago.

Quote:

I saw a Nascar race once back 12-14 years ago that in practice they had to go down to Walmart or K-Mart to get a case of Havoline to put in their race car. 20W-50 and yes the store tag was on the sealed case of oil.

Entirely true. When I used to crew back in the 90's, Robert Yates Racing did in fact use plain old dino Havoline. Quart bottles out of a cardboard case. Back then the #6 car used Valvoline Synthetic 20w-50 or 10w-30, depending on the track and qual/race setup.

The team may have to pay Honda 100K if there was any engine damage of the result of 27% wrong fuel. Wonder what it would cost if they had the wrong oil in it?

Point is, these guys are using exactly what the engine builder says to use for oil. Not sponsor oil in most cases.

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, these pics were all taken at the Indianapolis 500 speedway on Thursday May 17th.

Excellent photos. Are you going to be at the race with your camera? If you are I will PM you some request for purchase.

Unfortunately, I will not be at the race. I do appreciate you inquiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back