M1 EP vs PP PurePlus - NOACK %

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Silverado with AFM so I get some oil usage. I ran PP for a long time but I started to get more consumption that usual so I switched to M1 EP. I noticed that I was getting some consumption with that oil so I'm thinking of changing again.

The latest PQIA test results for PP is from 2014 with a NOACK of 9.1. I emailed Mobil and he said they are not allowed to give out their NOACK values but he could give me a Yes/No for a range I was looking for. I said I was looking for an oil in the 8-10% NOACK range with most 5W-30 Synthetics having a max of 10%. He said that the NOACK for M1 EP was far higher than my desired range.

Can anybody confirm that the M1 EP has a NOACK of more than 10%? The last information I found (can't remember what the date was) said it was around 9.5%

Should I go back to PP with a lower NOACK? Any other 5W-30's with a NOACK of around 9% or that I should try? I tried Valvoline Synpower and got some consumption with it as well. I haven't used Castrol Edge in years either.

Last edited:
Based on my former PQIA research the SOPUS oils (PPPP & QSUD) had the lowest NOACK of the readily available oils you would find from WM (i.e. including M1 , Castrol and Valvoline) .

Thought the PUP was way lower than PP ... ? PUP is not "readily available" ...

That engine is not even GDI is it ?
Seems either PP or M1 is fine and PUP is a waste of money ... I just dumped the high dollar stuff at 5k due to OLM barking

The used PUP was louder than new M1 ... but could of been sheared by fuel ...

Noack will help if the oil is vaporizing, to an extent. The issue with the 5.3 afm is attributed to a design flaw. To put it bluntly, your engine is burning oil and noack wouldn't help much if even at all with oil burning.

If you care to trust the Russian Oil Club, the NOACK loss for M1 5W30 EP is 9.0%.

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/8445-mobil1-extended-performance-5w-30-svezhee/

Kind of a strange source, but their VOAs line up well with the PQIA and other sources for oils that can be compared head to head.
The EP VOA looks much like the PQIA's for regular M1 5W30, but just a bit better all around...slightly lower NOACK loss, slightly thinner CCS viscosity at -30C, slightly higher TBN, etc. The detergent composition is part calcium based, part magnesium based, again like M1 5W30.

Strangely enough, when the NOACK losses for the new Pennzoil synthetic flavors were actually given on their website when the oils had just been released, Pennzoil PurePlus Platinum beat the Ultra Platinum product 10% to 11%. Those numbers disappeared fast and I did notice that the PQIA shows the PPPP as being a little better than 10%.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Thought the PUP was way lower than PP ... ?

No, the other way around. Wonder if that is why they quit publishing their values...

Guess so ... it used to be the lower ... and T6 has a higher NOACK than Delvac Dino ...
And I actually used a Db meter and M1 EP was quieter than PUP ...

PPPP 10W-30 NOACK isn't published anymore, but, when it was, it was 4.7% - one of the best of any oil, regardless of cost.

I'm running it in my 2016 WRX.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Noack will help if the oil is vaporizing, to an extent. The issue with the 5.3 afm is attributed to a design flaw. To put it bluntly, your engine is burning oil and noack wouldn't help much if even at all with oil burning.

I agree, it's something to do with the cylinder canceling technology they've got. My boss and many other customers have this issue with their 5.3's and it all starts to kick in about 100k miles big time.

I hate to say it, but you might try some of that Lucas oil stabilizer or BG 440k with an oil of your choice and see if that helps? I'm not a fan of adding any different additive to the existing oil on anything if I can help it, but it may be worth a shot.

I might try some of the stabilizer and see what happens.

I agree with the AFM. It's a horrible design and I actauall get better mileage with it disabled. The damage is probably already done but I want to limit it as much as I can. Based on what has been said it seems that the M1 EP is better than PP? Or does PP have a better NOACK?

Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock

I agree with the AFM. It's a horrible design and I actauall get better mileage with it disabled. The damage is probably already done but I want to limit it as much as I can. Based on what has been said it seems that the M1 EP is better than PP? Or does PP have a better NOACK?

The PQIA says 9.1% for the PP 5W30, and the Russian Oil Club says 9.0% for the M1 EP.
Different sources, unfortunately, but the numbers are basically the same.
Doesn't look like the ROC has looked at PPPP 5W30, but I do see that they have a PUP 5W30 analysis with 9.3% NOACK loss.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock

The PQIA says 9.1% for the PP 5W30, and the Russian Oil Club says 9.0% for the M1 EP.
Different sources, unfortunately, but the numbers are basically the same.
Doesn't look like the ROC has looked at PPPP 5W30, but I do see that they have a PUP 5W30 analysis with 9.3% NOACK loss.

I did find the ROC test for EP but it was a few years old. When I talked with a Mobil 1 rep he said that the M1 EP NOACK % was much higher than the value I was looking for. Since he couldn't give me the actual number he said that he could give a yes/no answer if I gave him a range that I was looking for. So I asked if the NOACK was between 9-11% and he said "No, unfortunately the NOACK for this oil is higher than your desired range." Based on that it would seem that the NOACK for EP is over 11%.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd use the M1 EP for another oil change. Reason being that the first time I switched to M1 in my car, I experienced oil consumption even though there was no prior consumption. Other people have experienced the same thing when making the switch, and most say it fixed itself after the first or second OCI. That's what happened to me, it fixed itself after the first or second OCI

I would try the PUP but I can't find it anywhere here near me (Middle, TN).

I'm going to give M1 EP another chance after this round is up and see what happens when I use it a second time and then I'll make the call to switch back to PP or not.

Equivalent miles on both fills at time of testing?

Guess so ... it used to be the lower ... and T6 has a higher NOACK than Delvac Dino ...

T6 is a 5w-49 Delvac dino ? is a 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back