M1 EP oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Forum
I would appreciate your arguments for and against a 1 year, 15K mile OCI on M1 EP 5/30 with Pure 1 filter on a 07 Camry 2.4 at 90% highway driving. Car now has 50K miles.THANKS

I think you may be able to run 15 mile OCI if you change the oil filter every 5000 miles, and making sure to add oil if needed. The oil filter on a 2AZ-FE can't handle a 15K OCI. Spend an extra $20 to get a UOA around the 10K mile mark to make sure everything is fine.

I'd run a 10k mile OCI with that oil and a better filter, then have a UOA performed.

Pure One is a solid value for a filter that runs 7.5k mile OCIs or less. However, if your UOA demonstrates you can run a 15k mile OCI, then I'd use an Amsoil, K&N, or a Mobil 1 oil filter for that OCI.

To be totally honest, you must do a UOA to be safe. I see very few oils that make it, some do. I Would do a UOA (with TBN) at 7500mi. I would change the filter also at least at 7500mi. I would never recommend long OCI's w/o a UOA. Especially with the problem SOME Toyota's have with extended drains.

Last edited:
I agree about the use of an oil filter DESIGNED for Extended drains.

Sure the cheaper P1 could be "fine" for that interval but i wouldn't put the block at risk over a few bucks vs getting say an M1 filter and getting the benefit of better filtration as well.

That oil is good for 15k in some cases, but not all. Only a UOA can give you the insight to make that call. Personally, I would never go that long with any oil.

10k is a much more reasonable OCI with that oil and a better filter, like the M1 or the Fram Extended Guard.

Better yet, use a twice a year OCI and go 7500 miles with any of the better syns and your choice of filter, much better for your engine, IMO.

I'd recommend Amsoil, Mobil 1, K&N, Royal Purple, or the new Bosch extended drain (not necessarily in that order)

^all these are over $10 a pop but well worth the money, IMO.

thumbsup2.gif

The PureOne PL14476 probably can't do 15,000, but the PL14477 I think can. The only difference is length. I go 7500 miles in mixed driving with that same engine in a heavier vehicle, I cut all my filters open, and I wouldn't hesitate to go longer on that filter. There may be better filters, but I doubt you'll find one with more media area than the PL14477, and if you search some of my posts I've put pictures of one with a WIX and Supertech you can compare as well.

If I was in your case, I'd be using the PureOne pl14477 and the M1 EP for about 10,000 miles, get a UOA, and go from there.

Of course, don't let my real world experience get in the way of the theories posted above!

Last edited:
You know, if you pay $20 for a UOA and replace the filter at 5000-7500 miles, just use regular M 1 and change it every six months. Cost is the same if you buy at WalMart and do it yourself.

I dont want to upset anyone here but doing an oil change is not that big of a deal or costly compared to possibly damaging your engine by running dirty and degraded oil in it.Dont try to squeeze every last mile out of your oil. If you do you will just be back on here with serious engine damage questions. Think about it a little.

You can use the Mobil 1 M1-209 filter (or other manufacturer's equivalent - Purolator PureOne PL20195) on the Toyota Camry / Corolla engines, both 4- and 6-cylinder. Using this size filter increases the volume of oil in the sump by 0.27 quart (8.64 oz) over the M1-103 (or other manufacturer's equivalent - Purolator PureOne 14476), and increases your filter surface area significantly (almost double, although I am not exactly sure of the sq. in. difference). The O.D. of the filter gasket is a bit larger than the M1-103 (Purolator PureOne 14476 / 14477), but still fits on the mating surface well enough to prevent leaks. I am not making this statement based on anything I have been told, but instead on what I am actually doing right now on my 2006 Toyota Corolla (1zzfe) and my girlfriend's Camry (5sfe), and have been doing for a while.

Does this allow for a 15k OCI? I don't know, so I am not saying for sure; however, I would say if you decided to run a 15k OCI, and the car was no longer under warranty, consider using a larger filter to increase sump capacity and hold a larger volume of particulates.

P

A friend is using M1 5-30EP for 15K OCIs in his 03 Windstar 3.8. The van has about 133K and the engine looks clean through the oil fill hole and there are no apparent problems with the engine. Also he uses M1 filters for all 15K and they look very clean after the OC.

I have a 02 Camry XLE 2AZ-FE 141k mi. 10k OCI's since 100k using M1 HMO 5w-30 full synthetic and Fram XG filter (gold can) from Wally World. Started off trying to slow the classic Toyota valve seal/oil consumption problems, ended up with a 10k OCI. Slower with M1 HMO but still burns a quart every 5k. Mobil's spec sheet says M1 HMO good for 15k, Fram XG filter claims 10k, replacing roughly half of the OCI due to consumption, so it works excellent for this car. Runs better and cleaner than it did when OCI's were 3k, pure 1 and dino. This OCI I'm topping off/mixing 10w-40 M1 HMO with the 5-30 to see if that slows consumption some more.

If you change the oil every 6 months/ 4-5K, why not just save the money and use the regular Mobil1? It would last that long with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back