M1 5w-40 TrSUV, 3342mi, 1998 Z28 LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remarks: Keeping this oil in use for 7 months wasn't a problem and you could have easily run it another 1,000 miles or so. Universal averages are based on an oil run of approx 4,300 miles and you can see that your engine wears better than average. The oil was in good shape physically, containing no moisture, fuel, or coolant. The air and oil filters (silicon and insolubles) are working well, too. Even if it takes a year, feel free to run the oil longer. We think you'll be pleased with the results. At 90,068 miles we have no problems to report.

Miles on oil.....3,342
Miles on unit...90,068

Element....uoa...uavg
alum..........3....4
chromium....1....1
iron.........19...14
copper......4....4
lead..........0....7
tin............0....2
moly..........6....59
nickel........1....1
mang.........1....2
silver.........0....0
titanium......0....0
potassium....3....1
boron.........32...70
silicon.........8....9
sodium.......3....6
calcium.....2503..2306
magnes.......460...301
phosph......1077...737
zinc........1299...880
barium......0.....0

Visc (65-78)..73.7
Flash >375...445
Fuel Antifreeze..0
Water...0
Insolubles.... 0.5%

**This is the first UOA for this car. 7 months and 3342mi on the oil. K&N air filter, and I think it was a K&N oil filter. The car is usually a daily driver but sat a couple of months over the winter. I try to take the long way to work at every chance (20mi) but often take the short way (12mi). Saturday a.m. cruises when I can for 1-2 hrs.

beer2.gif

The insolubles are high for only 3.3k miles. What were the last few oils used? This oil may be cleaning up deposits from previous oils. If so, all the more reason to stick with it.

That interval was the second with that oil. Prior four oil changes were M1 5w-30. I've only had the car for 23k miles.

I got my killer tiny flashlight out and tried to peek into the oil filler tube as best as I could. This motor didn't have a lot of oil flying around while running, and there was a lot of varnish showing...no silver at all. If the oil is cleaning, I don't know where it came from unless the prior owner(s) had really gummed it up good.

I plan on putting in some ARX, but just put in some GC with this oil change.

A layer of varnish on everthing can do it. I mean that an oil that's good at cleaning has a lot of varnish to set free if varnish is prevalent. All Mobil 1 oils are good at keeping engines clean so I'm sure the varnish is from the prior owner(s). Some are better than others at cleaning what's already dirty.

Yes, I did had the FRA (free ram air) mod. I'm glad to see that it didn't have any detrimental effects (except perhaps the insolubles?). I cleaned the K&N each year since it got very dirty very quickly.

I have since reversed the mod and gone back to paper filters.

Looks great. I also got superior results from tsuv 5-40 at 10k mi intervals in my ls1. Cant wait to see the gc report in a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back