M1 0W20 EP Good To At Least 10K Miles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to run an extended OCI in a 2016 Mazda CX-3 (SkyActiv 2.0 GDI) using M1 0W20 for a 10K mile OCI with a Fram Ultra (60% highway , 40% suburb service streets) .
Seeing as how the M1 0W20 EP is good up to 15K miles (under ideal conditions) I want to go 10K miles then do a Blackstone test . Not sure how easy the CX-3 is on oil or not but the planned OCI operating conditions are not all that stringent over 10K miles ... Your thoughts and experiences ?

Somehow "not to exceed 5K with gdi" is in my head!
Maybe it was for turbo-gdi. Not sure.
I think that translate into don't use any fancy oil with gdi ...
grin2.gif

Having said that, I have a sample of M1 EP 10Wx30 (rated for 15K) just out with only 7413 gdi miles.
I want to get a uoa also to see if I can push it to 10K
shocked2.gif

Btw, I thought cx3 & cx5 were high compression ratio and not gdi!

Last edited:
I run the cheapest 15W-40 I can find over 10,000 miles in almost everything I pour it into.

I'm sure your Mobil 1 EP will be fine.

I'm not really a fan of blanket oil vendor 'recommendations' as to distance. But you can sort of get a decent idea of how an oil holds up by looking at UOA's in the UOA section for a similar engine. Manufacturer's recommendations are usually a pretty good baseline for when to do a UOA, and then adjust accordingly. Of course any extended UOA interval is no excuse for deferring other maintenance inspections that may be part of the traditional oil change -- we know lots of engines can easily go 20k miles on the oil, but often the oil change is the only time at which anyone actually 'looks' at things such as the tyres, axle boots, etc.

I follow the olm on our 18 CRV. Currently running EP 0W20. The factory fill went 7500 miles at 15%. Amsoil SS 0W20 will be going in next.

Originally Posted by bbhero
My thought... Test it at 6k miles... Then go from there.

+1. Extend with UOA, especially on DI engines.

DO NOT go past Mazda's recommendation,no matter what oil you are using. Be sure to read Mobil's fine print.

Originally Posted by bbhero
My thought... Test it at 6k miles... Then go from there.

This. If you don't want to spend the money for analysis then I would change it at 7500 miles. If it's gassy smelling at 5k then go with that.

These long oci oils like EP and AP will last the duration but it all depends on your engine and your driving routine.

You did not tell us anything about how the vehicle is driven. But with GDI you will need to do some uoa's to be sure. I would not go over 5k unless its alll highway and trips are more than 20 miles at a time.

I did a 4500 mile uoa on my c-x5 which sees 8 mile trips and it had fuel dilution that made my 30wt into a 20wt.

If its got a small sump I would be cautious. You like in the south so their 0w30 I think would be more to your style and climate. Fram Ultra sounds okay,but check oil a lot and use it as a chance to add oil if it needs any to help keep it fresh. I think 7500 would be all I would push unless your in with the 1% that can do 90/10 all highway,long operation times,etc.

Should be 5qt sump I own a 2.0 sky in a 2012 3 5k changes since new M1 always. Will it go 10k possibly I'd sample at 7.5k fuel in oil will be the limiting factor but like many reports it may not hurt it. Running E0 fuel may also help for 10k OCI. Good luck atnd this is my opinion only.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
DO NOT go past Mazda's recommendation,no matter what oil you are using. Be sure to read Mobil's fine print.

Is that your opinion, Or is there some sort of compelling reason for you to state that?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Looking to run an extended OCI in a 2016 Mazda CX-3 (SkyActiv 2.0 GDI) using M1 0W20 for a 10K mile OCI with a Fram Ultra (60% highway , 40% suburb service streets) .
Seeing as how the M1 0W20 EP is good up to 15K miles (under ideal conditions) I want to go 10K miles then do a Blackstone test . Not sure how easy the CX-3 is on oil or not but the planned OCI operating conditions are not all that stringent over 10K miles ... Your thoughts and experiences ?

Your owner's manual instructs you to change the oil every 12,500 miles with average-quality oil.

This means that 15,000 miles with M1 EP 0W-20, which is arguably the highest-quality off-the-shelf oil, is A-OK.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Is that your opinion, Or is there some sort of compelling reason for you to state that?

My guess, if you had a warranty issue and it was oil related, going past the recommendation in the OM might be cause for concern regarding coverage.

Originally Posted by Gokhan

Your owner's manual instructs you to change the oil every 12,500 miles with average-quality oil.

This means that 15,000 miles with M1 EP 0W-20, which is arguably the highest-quality off-the-shelf oil, is A-OK.

Ummmm, nope. Under ideal conditions Mazda says 10k miles, normal service is 7500 miles. Severe is 5k.CX3 schedule

Originally Posted by LotI
Originally Posted by Gokhan

Ummmm, nope. Under ideal conditions Mazda says 10k miles, normal service is 7500 miles. Severe is 5k.CX3 schedule

I must have looked into the European manual. In Europe, low-sulfur gas is standard. Here, California and some other places have it but others don't. The higher the sulfur in the gas, the more the acids produced by sulfation, which may decrease the OCI.

Requirements Pertaining to Sulphur in GasolinePrescribed Levels

2Â (1)Â For the purpose of section 139 of the Act, the concentration of sulphur in each batch of gasoline produced or imported by a primary supplier shall not exceed

(a)Â in the case where the primary supplier has elected under section 9 to calculate the concentration of sulphur in that gasoline on the basis of a pool average, 80 mg/kg; and

(b)Â in any other case,

(i)Â until December 31, 2016, 40 mg/kg,

(ii)Â for the period beginning on January 1, 2017 and ending on December 31, 2019, 14 mg/kg, and

(iii)Â on or after January 1, 2020, 12 mg/kg.

This is for Canadian gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back