Luxury or plain jane for long commuting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my Corvette used (4 years old) for the same price as a new Honda Accord, got a 36,000 mile guarantee ( didn't use it, but piece of mind), and used it for my commute (23 miles, mostly highway).

It made a bad day at the office a good day drive home!

By the way, excellent gas mileage, about 25 mpg for commute. Highest mileage was 33.6 mpg for 160 mile trip on flat land. Road and Track refers to a Corvette as an economy car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I bought my Corvette used (4 years old) for the same price as a new Honda Accord, got a 36,000 mile guarantee ( didn't use it, but piece of mind), and used it for my commute (23 miles, mostly highway).

It made a bad day at the office a good day drive home!

Isn't it a great feeling? I feel the same way when driving to/from work in the Firebird. It certainly brings a smile to my face even on a bad day.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Presently this means a 9 year old dodge neon.
laugh.gif

I remember that the Saturn died. Do you now have to build up a stash of Neon parts?

My last car purchase was a Toyota Camry after having several Hondas because the Hondas just didn't have enough suspension travel to absorb rough road surfaces.Now I am looking at something with an even softer suspension because a chronic PHN from a shingle attack.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
My last car purchase was a Toyota Camry after having several Hondas because the Hondas just didn't have enough suspension travel to absorb rough road surfaces.Now I am looking at something with an even softer suspension because a chronic PHN from a shingle attack.

Maybe an Avalon? Or something like a 2005 Park Avenue? Something with a wide bench seat would good I assume.

I'm amazed that new Accords are going for $4k under sticker, this according to TrueCar and Edmund's TMV. I suppose it is that time of year, getting ready for the '15's.

In Car and Driver's long term test of an Accord Sport, they noted zero comments from editor's wishing for the V6. The 4cyl has plenty of pep (0-60, 6.6 secs, 6-manual) and gets better fuel economy, so if, as you stated, the choice is betweeen v6 lx or I4 Sport, my vote goes to the Sport. However, the Sport rides on 18 inch wheels which may affect road compliance, comfort. If I were in the market a 6-manual Sport would be at the top of the list, followed by the Mazda 6 or Mazda3 Hatch.

By most accounts it seems Honda is back on it's game with the new Accord.

I used an Accord for a 94 mile round trip commute and while it was pretty nice my Chevy Cobalt is quieter and better mpg. Not as wide but more leg room as well (but with the seat back there isn't much room in the back seat).

I guess it is the narrow width of the Cobalt and the high gearing that give it nearly 40 mpg fuel economy, also better than my old 4 cylinder Accord which usually did around 30 mpg. Both had 5 speed manual transmissions, but radically different final drive ratios.

The OP mentions a choice between Accord and Fit but Honda also makes the Civic, which might be a good solution.

I have to do 40+ miles for my part-time job sometimes, and I'm glad I have my Challenger. Gas mileage isn't the best @26 combined, but nice ride, room and better than commuting in my pickup truck. I say splurge if you can reasonably afford it and the cost difference is also reasonable. You only live once and you can't take it with you.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I have to do 40+ miles for my part-time job sometimes, and I'm glad I have my Challenger. Gas mileage isn't the best @26 combined, but nice ride, room and better than commuting in my pickup truck. I say splurge if you can reasonably afford it and the cost difference is also reasonable. You only live once and you can't take it with you.

That last line is huge.

Why not be happy with your choice? That does not indicate any preferences, just that you should perhaps consider the possibility that, if you spend a lot of time commuting, you could enjoy your day more.

IMO at the end of a long day the ride home should be comfortable and relaxing. Choose whatever you like, but enjoy it...

I just got rid of all my cars and bought the wife a Accord EX-L and me a Civic EX-L. I drive 80+ miles a day in the Civic and just turned over 6K miles.

I would go with the Civic EX-L, don't get the lower priced versions, the seats are not as soft. You'll save at least $5K on the Civic and I've been averaging 38mpg on it.

You know, when I read the title of your question, I thought your choices were btwn a Fit and a Jaguar. But an Accord? Luxury? Really?

There's not enough of a difference IMHO btwn the two Hondas to justify the extra price and ongoing costs here, get the Fit. If you want a more "luxurious" experience, try the new Ford Fusion...it's competitively priced with the Accord and it's not only gorgeous it rides and drives like a dream, not the harsh, crude ride and interior fitments of the Accord.

There was a time when things like Hondas made sense, but no more. You owe it to yourself to check out the Ford, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

If you want a super comfortable ride try the 2nd generation Acura RL I have a 2006. It is so comfortable. It takes premium gas and I can get close to 30 mpg on a trip. I got mine 18 months ago for $12K. With 100K miles. It is awesome to drive long distances.

I vote for as much comfort as you can afford also....life IS to short. We drive 150 miles per day and a diesel X5 with XM is what makes it bearable for us.

We DON'T feel worn out after the commute and we have ample room to "spread" out a bit and not feel so confined.

I will start by saying that an Accord is far from being a luxury vehicle.
However, I drive 130 miles round trip daily in my commute.
I do it in the 2012 listed in my signature.
Nice, comfortable car and I average over 30 MPG.
My wife suggested I buy a Corolla. I quickly rebuked her suggestion.
As has been mentioned, life is too short and I work to hard (and drive too far) to do it in an econobox. My 6'4" frame and bad back appreciate my choice.

Wasn't there another BITOG'r who was looking to trade his Accord for a Fit? Can you guys get together??

Last edited:
Heh Heh near the end of its career,the Borman 6, my first 1988 528e was doing 150 miles a night. Whether it was going down town or 1000 miles in a day, it was the best daily driver I've had in 40 yrs of working.. Now I drive a Transit Connect so much for work,that when I'm not working, I stay home.

If getting a luxury car means upgrading to an automatic transmission, id stick to the base model. I really wish my Jeep was a 5 speed for my long commutes.

I also prefer cloth over leather seats, but would prefer the upgraded stereo system with Bluetooth, navigation, satellite radio etc. Not too sure if car manufactures let you pick and choose like that or not.

My Cruze Eco with its manual transmission makes a very good long-haul commuter. It's far quieter than our Fit, rides better than my MIL's 2013 Civic LX, and averages me about 42-43 mpg on my current 35 mile round trip commute. When I was putting on 100-120 miles a day, it averaged closer to 44 mpg. Oh, it also has a large trunk, and a usable trunk opening. If the seats are comfy for you and your wife, give it a decent look. It's pretty comparable in size to your old Accord, if not a little larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back