Luxury or plain jane for long commuting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I have to do 40+ miles for my part-time job sometimes, and I'm glad I have my Challenger. Gas mileage isn't the best @26 combined, but nice ride, room and better than commuting in my pickup truck. I say splurge if you can reasonably afford it and the cost difference is also reasonable. You only live once and you can't take it with you.

That last line is huge.

Why not be happy with your choice? That does not indicate any preferences, just that you should perhaps consider the possibility that, if you spend a lot of time commuting, you could enjoy your day more.

IMO at the end of a long day the ride home should be comfortable and relaxing. Choose whatever you like, but enjoy it...

I couldn't agree more.

In my early 20s I was a truck driver to haul my tools and always had a fast car for fun.
I had a 99 firebird with a 6 speed and a 350 and that car was crazy fast. Sold it because I knew if I had it another year it would be a broken piece of junk.
I bought a mustang with the money and invested the rest.
That began my love of mustangs.
So here I am. Either driving a truck or a mustang,neither are what I'd consider luxury.
Then I got my charger last year and something in me changed. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too.
Then I got the c3 a few months ago and whammo,now I'm spoiled.
My commute was at least 80 miles a day. Those 80 miles were nothing more than a blink driving my charger. It just drove so well.
The c3 is of course a truck and handles like one but it has every possible creature comfort.
I spend a lot of time in a vehicle and I'm at the point where im not interested in compromise so I'm not going to.
So comfort it is.

it all depends on your financial status.

Any car purchase that isn't a used cheap econobox is a compromise for luxury.
So don't kid yourself that you need approval and just really treat yourself.
For the same money you could get a used Lexus or other real luxury aspirational model and really be in luxury. It's basically a toyota so if you service it as such you'll be fine.

Lexus LS460 would be a great commuter car for such a long trip, or a diesel Mercedes.

Set the cruise in a big Lexus at 80 or 90, crank up the stereo, and its an isolation box on wheels. Very relaxing compared to tin can cars.

Small little cars like a Civic are great around town where parking is tight, but are horrible on fast roads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
This is why I bought my 2010 Accord.

I bought her with 34k miles. It is a base model. Paid $14k for it last year.

Get an Accord.

^^^ This....get a CPO loaded Accord and enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
I have a 80-miles round trip commute in fairly nice road

Everyone's different, but a 40mi one-way isn't a long commute...esp. on nice roads....if there's no traffic.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nope, and it's not so bad even on the highway. I lucked out, and can "adjust" my work schedule slightly. I get to work 15min early, and leave 15min early, and seem to avoid the worst of it.

Now 40 miles of stop lights, speed zones that alternate from 25mph to 40 to 50 back to 30... Ugh. Now that I try to think about a commute like that, I think I might understand why people play with their smartphones while driving. I much prefer to sit back and cruise at 60, 70, 80mph.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: M1Accord
I have a 80-miles round trip commute in fairly nice road

Everyone's different, but a 40mi one-way isn't a long commute...esp. on nice roads....if there's no traffic.
smile.gif

I complain about not having a job site a mile from my house, 40? NFW I'd move or get a new job.

I did 40 each way for almost 7 years...and before that, I did 60 each way for 5. (That's how I put 85K on my Magnum in 3 years despite having other vehicles!)

The cost of a commute eats into the money you make. Some locations will pay off, some won't.

Our suburban model way of life is based on lower priced land out in the country and a way to commute into the city. Higher priced fuels are making this less attractive and there is a gradual move of people wanting to live very near work, in the inner city. Sometimes the property values have dropped so much in the inner city it's worth it. Look at Detroit, a place to get a real bargain if you can work there and maybe rehab a place that's close in.

I forgot to add.. bring your own batteries!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: datech
The cost of a commute eats into the money you make. Some locations will pay off, some won't.

Our suburban model way of life is based on lower priced land out in the country and a way to commute into the city. Higher priced fuels are making this less attractive and there is a gradual move of people wanting to live very near work, in the inner city. Sometimes the property values have dropped so much in the inner city it's worth it. Look at Detroit, a place to get a real bargain if you can work there and maybe rehab a place that's close in.

I think so. People tend to underestimte the cost of commuting long distances by car. Of course, people change jobs and in two earner families someone gets the long commute, usually. It's not like you always have a choice.

I had a 08 marquis for about a year, hurt my back so bad and my rear every time I drove it.

Not luxury at all.

The seats in the matrix are better than the marquis.

I'm partial to Toyota but I do like the seats in a newer Avalon or Lexus.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I will start by saying that an Accord is far from being a luxury vehicle.
However, I drive 130 miles round trip daily in my commute.
I do it in the 2012 listed in my signature.
Nice, comfortable car and I average over 30 MPG.
My wife suggested I buy a Corolla. I quickly rebuked her suggestion.
As has been mentioned, life is too short and I work to hard (and drive too far) to do it in an econobox. My 6'4" frame and bad back appreciate my choice.

I test drove a new 2014 Accord Touring and BMW 335i and I was much more impressed with the Accord, which has better fit and finish build quality. From the outside, the Bimmer won on look from just about every angle. The Accord is more desirable to me in the area of headlights, fog lights, and LED daytime running lights arrangement. The driving experience goes to the Accord very slightly. A big luxury here is a peace of mind the Accord will last 300k miles with basic maintaince while the Bimmer is very likely be a money pit after 75k miles. I think the gap between Japan luxury and European luxury is closing fast. At the entry to mid level. It is the ultra high luxury is where Honda and Acura are no match for BMW and Mercedes but I am not sure how Lexus compares.

Again, luxury is a peace of mind that a vehicle is reliable and durable, something that Eoropean cars are not known for.

I did also sat in a 525i and found the material to be better that the Accord but not sure if it would hold up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
I had a 08 marquis for about a year, hurt my back so bad and my rear every time I drove it.

Not luxury at all.

The seats in the matrix are better than the marquis.

I'm partial to Toyota but I do like the seats in a newer Avalon or Lexus.

Toyota dealership here doesn't carry Avalon. I would love to test drive one. I heard it is very comfortable.

Not all high paying jobs are in the cities. I work in the sticks but live in the suburb. Same for everyone we know. Big companies can actually own the land their buildings are on in the sticks whereas they would be stuck in a high lease in the cities. For people without kids or those who think their kids will likely succeed in low ranking schools, they end up living near their job. I choose to be in a better school district.

I wound up where I am because it was between our jobs, 35+ miles to each job. Turns out we like the area we are in. Low crime, good small school, places to hike, bike, etc. Might not be able to stay here forever but it sure feels like the place where we'd like to retire to.

We also figured we'd spend like $100k more on a house closer to work. That $100k extra on a mortgage would cost something huge in interest. Enough to offset vehicle costs? Not sure.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

I think so. People tend to underestimte the cost of commuting long distances by car. Of course, people change jobs and in two earner families someone gets the long commute, usually. It's not like you always have a choice.

Not to mention its a waste of time, and we only get so much of that.

I'm a big fan of living close, I like parking my truck on the weekends and walking everywhere.

Originally Posted By: supton
I wound up where I am because it was between our jobs, 35+ miles to each job. Turns out we like the area we are in. Low crime, good small school, places to hike, bike, etc. Might not be able to stay here forever but it sure feels like the place where we'd like to retire to.

We also figured we'd spend like $100k more on a house closer to work. That $100k extra on a mortgage would cost something huge in interest. Enough to offset vehicle costs? Not sure.

It would cost you another $500 bucks per month to buy that extra 100K house, assuming a 30 year mortgage. mostly pre-tax dollars the first few years. You probably aren't going to get out of owning a car even if you were to buy the fancy house, so your savings for the house would be a little gas, a little maintenance, maybe a little insurance a somewhat older and cheaper car. Maybe 200 bucks per month, after tax effects. In other words, the fancy house costs you maybe a net of 300 bucks per month. On the other hand, the house is not a wasting asset like a car. Its likely to hold or appreciate in value. I bet it's in a better school district. The "better" the location the more it is likely to hold or appreciate in value. Then there is your time and the pleasure of living in a better place. That's worth something, too.

My point is, it's a surprisingly close call, even with a significant price difference in the convenient place versus the inconvenient place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back