Luxury or plain jane for long commuting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Originally Posted By: supton
I wound up where I am because it was between our jobs, 35+ miles to each job. Turns out we like the area we are in. Low crime, good small school, places to hike, bike, etc. Might not be able to stay here forever but it sure feels like the place where we'd like to retire to.

We also figured we'd spend like $100k more on a house closer to work. That $100k extra on a mortgage would cost something huge in interest. Enough to offset vehicle costs? Not sure.

It would cost you another $500 bucks per month to buy that extra 100K house, assuming a 30 year mortgage. mostly pre-tax dollars the first few years. You probably aren't going to get out of owning a car even if you were to buy the fancy house, so your savings for the house would be a little gas, a little maintenance, maybe a little insurance a somewhat older and cheaper car. Maybe 200 bucks per month, after tax effects. In other words, the fancy house costs you maybe a net of 300 bucks per month. On the other hand, the house is not a wasting asset like a car. Its likely to hold or appreciate in value. I bet it's in a better school district. The "better" the location the more it is likely to hold or appreciate in value. Then there is your time and the pleasure of living in a better place. That's worth something, too.

My point is, it's a surprisingly close call, even with a significant price difference in the convenient place versus the inconvenient place.

Don't forget the property tax bill in that nicer neighborhood/easier commute. I can't speak for supton's neck of the woods, but here compared to where our household commutes to is a big difference. I mentioned earlier that two of us commute 60 and 100 miles in our household daily. Moving somewhere 15 to 25 miles closer would easily make our tax bill 150% of what it is today, not to mention a minimum of double the initial purchase price of our home. The increase in property tax could just about cover our gas cost for the year, maybe 80% of it.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/
28.gif

Property tax rate varies, but closer to work is going to have a higher rate working on a higher value property.

Houses don't always appreciate either. I'm still convinced I'm a good 25% down from peak (which is when I bought). So in some ways I don't care--I can't move for a few years anyhow, not until I get more of my mortgage paid off. By then I'll be dumping money into home repairs, but that is a different story.

Unless if I move right into the city there is no public transport options. Renting a car when one goes down is still a hassle, albeit not as bad since I'd be closer to a rental place.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/
28.gif

Exactly, I figure my driving out at the IRS allowed per mile, and bill myself for my time, because its the most important resource I have.

So a 40 mile commute @ this years IRS rate which I think is 55 cents a mile, and my time which I value at $50 an hour, and that commute is worth a bit more than $55 to me. More as I get older and my time gets more valuable.

Now if I do it 6 days I week which I would because I work 6 days a week, that's a cost of $330 a week, or $1320 a month.

This is why I only work in one city, and live close to where I work. I'm moving down town next month so I'll be within walking distance of most things, my goal is to park my vehicle Friday and not need it until Monday. A side benefit of walking is its good for your health.

Commuting is a waste of time.

Last edited:
since we cover a 100 mile radius there is little benefit for us to move. We tried de-centralizing but the quality control was not good and the biz suffered, plus vehicles were getting abused/misused.

Keeping all the fleet here is a bit more hassle but well worth it for cost containment. Our fuel bill remains amazingly consistent at 3-4 thousand a month (biz only)...

Read through the analysis. It is interesting. Save 100k over 10 years. So spend extra up front to get a house close to work. Assuming you can save while renting.

I'm not sure what I'd do in a city. Right now I walk out the door and out into the woods. I guess if I lived closer to work I could drive away for the weekends to the places I wanted to be in the first place.

Originally Posted By: supton
Read through the analysis. It is interesting. Save 100k over 10 years. So spend extra up front to get a house close to work. Assuming you can save while renting.

I'm not sure what I'd do in a city. Right now I walk out the door and out into the woods. I guess if I lived closer to work I could drive away for the weekends to the places I wanted to be in the first place.

Yeah, there's no question living in a city can be cheaper and you may have a shorter/cheaper commute, but if you don't want to be there, then you spend the bucks to live where you want and get on with life...
The adjoining property to our is a weekend place now and they drive 80 miles each way to spend some time in the country and look at the view from our hill. Whereas the kids and I go up there almost everyday to go for a run, fly a kite, or watch the monarch butterflies do their thing. Or we go putter around in woods looking at tracks, trees, etc for 20 minutes before supper.
My plan wasn't to work 45km away but that's how its worked out, and I can't really value my commuting time at $X/hour as I haven't found a job I can do from home for 40 minutes twice a day? I guess I could blog about how great it is not to commute?! I think that niche is full though...
Anyways different strokes for different folks, mr money moustache has a pretty nice thing going and if I thought I could pull it off, I'd be dumb not to do it. But I can't complain too much about my situation either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back