Lubricating spare tire lock

Well it’s that time of year again. This year I treated my spare with Cosmoline rp-342 so hopefully that will hold up and work better than the HDMP I’ve used in the past.

Another thing I like to do is lube the lock cylinder that plugs the winch access. I’ve used everything from oil to fluid film to boeshield T9 to HDMP. None of them really do a good job and it’s always tough to remove. Any idea what to use? It’s a fairly severe environment being just a plug in the rear bumper. Lots of rain, snow, salt and dirt. This year I’m thinking about trying some CRC penetrating spray grease unless there is a better suggestion.

16C73E1F-4773-431C-82F8-4AD9ACA41291.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F2AE435-2D5D-4245-9ACE-00CA7F747291.jpeg
    7F2AE435-2D5D-4245-9ACE-00CA7F747291.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 13
Well it’s that time of year again. This year I treated my spare with Cosmoline rp-342 so hopefully that will hold up and work better than the HDMP I’ve used in the past.

Another thing I like to do is lube the lock cylinder that plugs the winch access. I’ve used everything from oil to fluid film to boeshield T9 to HDMP. None of them really do a good job and it’s always tough to remove. Any idea what to use? It’s a fairly severe environment being just a plug in the rear bumper. Lots of rain, snow, salt and dirt. This year I’m thinking about trying some CRC penetrating spray grease unless there is a better suggestion.

View attachment 123685
That reminds me i need to remove my spare tire lock and check it.Been a year or 2 i think.Better to check it now while its warm sunny and in my driveway .

Back