Aluminum spare corrosion

So I’ve been running my factory steel spare in the spare tire spot since new on my 2011. It actually looks really good, even for how old the tire is but I wanted a size-matched spare so I threw one of my old 285/70r17 tires on a somewhat beat up used alloy rim which matches my regular factory alloys. Debating on whether to hang it off the normal spare spot by the tire winch or leave it in my (covered) bed on the 11 F150. Thing is, I don’t want a powdery, corroded aluminum oxide mess. Thinking about either getting it with a ceramic paint treatment vs amsoil HDMP. Not sure which would be best.

TLDR: would you treat an alloy clear coat spare with amsoil HDMP or a ceramic wax if you were going to put it under the truck off the typical tire winch when living in the salt belt?

and I would treat the entire mechanism too, threads, etc. Nothing like having a spare stuck under the truck because you can't get it down. I know first hand.....

Fluid film definitely works, been using that on the OE spare for years, including the winch. Just figured the alloy being less prone to corrosion I could move to something less messy.

Back