Looks like Neworleans is gonna get slammed again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: chiks
"New Orleans is essential to the economy of this country; your off-the-cuff comments reflect your woeful ignorance of the subject."

Are you running for office out there, eh?

lolz...
smile.gif

lol.gif
yeah I fail to see how New Orleans contributes anything besides decadence, crime and poverty.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
lol.gif
yeah I fail to see how New Orleans contributes anything besides decadence, crime and poverty.

It's the largest port in the United States. It's one of the biggest economic hubs for trade and energy in the country.

New Orleans is essential to the economy of this country...

Only to the point that keeping it afloat cost the country less than we gain from it. Once it gets too expensive, we'll have to cut our losses.

As a country, were we really forced to carve a city out of the sea? Couldn't we have picked a city or location that is easier to maintain for Mississippi River commerce and flow of Gulf energy?

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Only to the point that keeping it afloat cost the country less than we gain from it. Once it gets too expensive, we'll have to cut our losses.

As a country, were we really forced to carve a city out of the sea? Couldn't we have picked a city or location that is easier to maintain for Mississippi River commerce and flow of Gulf energy?

Where do you think the Mississippi flows into the gulf! St. Louis???
confused2.gif

there's more of that ignorance I was talking about...

from wikipedia:
New Orleans came into being to act as a strategically located trading depot, and it remains, above all, a crucial transportation hub and distribution center for waterborne commerce. The Port of New Orleans is the 5th-largest port in the United States based on volume of cargo handled, second-largest in the state after the Port of South Louisiana, and 12th-largest in the U.S., based on value of cargo. The Port of South Louisiana, also based in the New Orleans area, is the world's busiest in terms of bulk tonnage and, when combined with the Port of New Orleans, it forms the 4th-largest port system in volume handled. Many shipbuilding, shipping, logistics, freight forwarding and commodity brokerage firms either call metropolitan New Orleans home or maintain a large local presence.
and this "country" didn't carve it out, it was here WAY before the US was a country.
your comments might apply to San Francisco, LA, NYC, Boston, etc, etc, etc...

"New Orleans is essential to the economy of this country; your off-the-cuff comments reflect your woeful ignorance of the subject."

lolz...
smile.gif

lol.gif

so says the guy from Cincinnati...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Maybe it was not a good idea to REBUILD a city built below sea level?
NO was warned for decades before Katrina but it was still completely unprepared.

Like those who move next to an airport or train yard and complain about the noise?

lolz...
smile.gif

lol.gif

so says the guy from Cincinnati...
cincinnati is a major manufacturing city, making things like jet engines and sophisticated machinery. don't try to throw stones, they'll bounce straight off.

NOLA is a big part of SE Louisiana but the whole area is huge in petrochemicals. If you go out into the Gulf at night, the light from all the offshore rigs is overwhelming. Lots of stuff going on off coastal Louisiana. And even on the river itself, from Baton Rouge south, is one big refinery/chemical plant, it seems. And yeah, the Port of New Orleans is huge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_New_Orleans

And like mpvue was saying, New Orleans was originally built by the French in 1718 on high ground at a point that provided easy access to the Gulf and Mississippi River. Many of the places that flooded were reclaimed marshes that were only populated in the 20th century.

And if you think we just spend money on the city's flood walls, you'll hate this! There's more to protecting NOLA than just preventing the floods. The levee system on the lower Mississippi serves a dual purpose of preventing flood damage and keeping the river on its current course. The lower Mississippi River is actually overdue for a course change. It's bounced back and forth across the width of South Louisiana over the millennia. Were it not for regular dredging and the control structure where the Red River "flows" (or once flowed) into the Mississippi, by now the river would be flowing down the course of the Atchafalaya River, exiting to the Gulf south of Morgan City.

As far as I'm concerned, after Katrina the city should have turned the devastated areas like the Ninth Ward and New Orleans East (a crime pit nowadays if there ever was one) into green spaces, and spent the money they've wasted on those blasted areas on paving the streets in sections that actually have productive people and businesses.

It's true, of course, that half the productive people moved post-haste to the towns on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain. It's lovely up there, has higher ground, and is even a fraction cooler on summer nights. But that left the feckless, the shiftless, and the criminal down here in The Pesthole.

My view is merely that I hate the climate, the crime, the broken dirty streets, and a lot of the so-called "culture." (Sitting outdoors in heat that would stun a Cape buffalo, in order to pull apart and eat crawfish for a flake of meat the size of your fingernail? Fugeddaboutit!). Thanks to the poor economy, I'm trapped here.

The Pesthole is strategically and economically important, yes. But it's a dangerous place to live -- and annoying when it's not endangering your life.

Hey you live there, not me. But keep in mind all the state has the humidity. It's not as bad up here in Dallas East (I mean Shreveport). I know its got its warts, though. Been thinking about getting an apartment/condo/something another somewhere in the CBD for weekend get-aways since it seems like we spend a gillion bux to stay near the Quarter anyway!

My family and I are currently in San Antonio, eagerly watching the news and weather reports to find information on our home town. I wont join the madness here with all the spite for New Orleans as well as the rest of south Louisiana, but regarding the "why would you live where you know youre going to deal with hurricanes?" comments: Sure, a hurricane is threatening yet again, I have known about it since last week, and had more then enough time to get myself and family out. If we return and our home and belongings are destroyed, it wont be fun but we will rebuild. Natural disasters happen everywhere, we have warning with ours. Moving further inland will only mean that we can potentially be leveled from earthquake or tornado, that occur without warning, THATS not my cup of tea.

Oh, nothing is more uplifting then logging in here in a time such as this and reading what you guys really think. L_Sludger, I hope your jet engines fill your car up when N.O. and surrounding areas along with oil production out here finally is gone. People whine about expensive gas now......

Originally Posted By: 97f150
L_Sludger, I hope your jet engines fill your car up when N.O. and surrounding areas along with oil production out here finally is gone. People whine about expensive gas now......
I'm all for the oil production and drilling, and I agree that the oil production of the gulf coast is vitally important.
I have trouble making the mental connection between the city of New Orleans and the oil derricks off the coast. Let the city rot, just keep the derricks running.

As a native of New Orleans and current resident in another nearby area which is being affected by the storm as I type, let me say thank you to all my fellow Americans for the $10 Billion tax dollars (and counting)in improvements for hurricane protection since Katrina. We do appreciate it.

You're getting off cheap.

More on topic, my 10 year old generator needs some carb work at a most inopportune time due strictly to my own negligence over the months... I think we may squeak by without loss of power and if I can't get it to crank then off to my trusty small engine guy when the winds die down.

See ya at Mardi Gras. Jazz Fest? Maybe the Super Bowl this year?

Wait, what? Somehow the Bengals just don't seem to be in the SB picture... Unless to take up seating in the renovated MB Superdome hopefully watching Drew Brees accept a second Lombardi trophy from Rodger (Judge, Juror, Executioner) Goodell.

Yeah, ya right.

Moving further inland will only mean that we can potentially be leveled from earthquake or tornado, that occur without warning, THATS not my cup of tea.

How does moving further inland reduce your chances of earthquake or tornado? Both are rare where I live. I presently see a lot of tornado warnings in Louisiana.

Moving further inland will only mean that we can potentially be leveled from earthquake or tornado, that occur without warning, THATS not my cup of tea.

How does moving further inland reduce your chances of earthquake or tornado? Both are rare where I live. I presently see a lot of tornado warnings in Louisiana.

they always get tornado warnings with hurricanes, but it's not like midwest trailer park hating type tornadoes.

there's more of that ignorance I was talking about...

from wikipedia:
New Orleans came into being to act as a strategically located trading depot, and it remains, above all, a crucial transportation hub and distribution center for waterborne commerce. The Port of New Orleans is the 5th-largest port in the United States based on volume of cargo handled, second-largest in the state after the Port of South Louisiana, and 12th-largest in the U.S., based on value of cargo. The Port of South Louisiana, also based in the New Orleans area, is the world's busiest in terms of bulk tonnage and, when combined with the Port of New Orleans, it forms the 4th-largest port system in volume handled. Many shipbuilding, shipping, logistics, freight forwarding and commodity brokerage firms either call metropolitan New Orleans home or maintain a large local presence.
and this "country" didn't carve it out, it was here WAY before the US was a country.
your comments might apply to San Francisco, LA, NYC, Boston, etc, etc, etc...

I can appreciate New Orleans handles a lot of commerce and it is 4th on the list of importance in terms of volume. But this also indicates that there are three other ports that handle even more traffic. New Orleans is as important to shipping commerce as Detroit is to the automotive industry. I believe our country can do just fine with regard to automobiles with Detroit out of the picture. After all, we've been sending manufacturing and engineering out of Detroit for the past 20 years, leaving Detroit with less of a major role in the automobile industry.

The same can be done with New Orleans if it gets too expensive to maintain. Other existing ports can take up the slack, and nearby ports that aren't below sea level and easier to maintain - such as Galveston and Pensacola - can ramp up development.

I think shipbuilding, shipping, logistics, freight forwarding, and commodity brokerage firms can be moved as well. I don't see why everything needs to be continued in New Orleans. It has had a rich and important history in America's development. Now it's time to rethink things.

I can appreciate New Orleans handles a lot of commerce and it is 4th on the list of importance in terms of volume. But this also indicates that there are three other ports that handle even more traffic. New Orleans is as important to shipping commerce as Detroit is to the automotive industry. I believe our country can do just fine with regard to automobiles with Detroit out of the picture. After all, we've been sending manufacturing and engineering out of Detroit for the past 20 years, leaving Detroit with less of a major role in the automobile industry.

The same can be done with New Orleans if it gets too expensive to maintain. Other existing ports can take up the slack, and nearby ports that aren't below sea level and easier to maintain - such as Galveston and Pensacola - can ramp up development.

I think shipbuilding, shipping, logistics, freight forwarding, and commodity brokerage firms can be moved as well. I don't see why everything needs to be continued in New Orleans. It has had a rich and important history in America's development. Now it's time to rethink things.

The port of Louisiana southeast of New Orleans (it's twice as big as the second largest port in the US) is the largest in the US precisely because it's the outlet of the Mississippi river. Where do you think the vast majority of stuff that's either built or grown in the midwest ends up to be exported via container ship?

You want to pick up the logistics infrastructure at the mouth of the largest river in North America and move it to Texas?
crackmeup2.gif
You gonna dig a canal so the barges can travel over there? New huge train system to move everything over there? Maybe a super highway so trucks can move it? Where it all will be put on ships just like it is now?
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

The port of Louisiana southeast of New Orleans (it's twice as big as the second largest port in the US) is the largest in the US precisely because it's the outlet of the Mississippi river. Where do you think the vast majority of stuff that's either built or grown in the midwest ends up to be exported via container ship?

You want to pick up the logistics infrastructure at the mouth of the largest river in North America and move it to Texas?
crackmeup2.gif
You gonna dig a canal so the barges can travel over there? New huge train system to move everything over there? Maybe a super highway so trucks can move it? Where it all will be put on ships just like it is now?
crackmeup2.gif

Why not? Maybe this will fuel a push to modernize and properly repair and maintain our country's infrastructure that has been underfunded and under maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back