Looks like Neworleans is gonna get slammed again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino

So we should have roughnecks braving 75+ mph winds

I thought that CNN reporters were the only ones allowed in the storms ...
lol.gif

Why is it only New Orleans that I hear about?
Even our local news is only mentioning New Orleans.

What about the rest of Louisiana? And Mississippi?

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: chiks
Maybe this time folks have more sense and actually start moving away.

The morons here all swarmed back, squealing, "It's home!" My view: After Vesuvius has exploded and destroyed your home town of Pompeii, it's time to move to Rome.

Believe me -- if I could have found a job somewhere north and west of here, where things like hurricanes don't happen, I'd have been gone in late '05.

This storm doesn't look to be anywhere near as bad. My only worry is that the power will go out; and in the heat and humidity at this time of year, that's not a small discomfort.

my in-laws still live there, on land my MIL's grandparents' owned. it's a very traditional area, people don't often move more than a few miles from where they were raised.
LOTS of old timers down there that have survived more than a few storms, you can't get those people to leave.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Why is it only New Orleans that I hear about?
Even our local news is only mentioning New Orleans.

What about the rest of Louisiana? And Mississippi?

because more people live in the city than the rest of the areas combined.
and saying "New Orleans" gives an easier identified location than "Lafourche Parish"

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Yes the oil companies will use this to manipulate the price of gasoline, seems like they use any excuse to throw it to the consumer anymore.

+1

And, dont forget, the last time a hurricane struck N'awleans it was a "weaponized hurricane" and the National Guard was alleged to have set off explosives to blow the levees of the French Quarter. Nice huh. Remember back to 2006 and the allegations made.
whistle.gif

I can only imagine what this possible refinery threat, and the corn problem, will do. Get your stock in ExxonMobil NOW!

I can't tell whether your post is dripping with sarcasm, or you really believe it!

Isaac will hit Louisiana 7 years TO THE DAY of Katrina. CONSPIRACY!!!

I was in South FL when we got hit with hurricane Andrew and let me tell you it was not fun. It was a hurricane with very little rain but plenty of winds. Had no electricity for 2 months so I feel bad for people in N.O.

Maybe this time folks have more sense and actually start moving away.

Most people like home a lot and where roots are planted. There are many places across the usa(most) and world I wonder why people live there. But in the end roots are established and folks planted.

and the sensible relocate and the foolish perish.

You had to really reach for it, but good job finding something resembling a bright side to a natural disaster.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
And, dont forget, the last time a hurricane struck N'awleans it was a "weaponized hurricane" and the National Guard was alleged to have set off explosives to blow the levees of the French Quarter. Nice huh. Remember back to 2006 and the allegations made.
whistle.gif

LOL, French Quarters is the only place above water level!.

they need to bring back the old Mayor (Ray Nagins?) to give him another crack at the Ice Berg so to speak.

Wonder if they will be smart enough to evacuate this time or blame the Feds after the fact.

With the poverty rate in New Orleans, it's hard for many folks to just up and leave! It's a city with a rich history and community. People will be there until and unless a devastating hurricane wipes it off the map.

It's sad to say but it's part of the territory. Living on any hurricane coast line isn't my cup of tea...I prefer to stay inland. Unless its on the west coast.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Maybe it was not a good idea to REBUILD a city built below sea level?

Amen!

ok, so lets move everyone inland where nothing bad ever happens and abandon the entire city.
exactly, how, geniuses, do you propose doing that?
or perhaps you would like to do as the Chinese did, relocate 1.3 millions people to build the Three Gorges Dam?

NOLA is NOT below sea level; in fact, New Orleans proper (the French Quarter) was built precisely where it is because that was the highest land.
the land is sinking because of man's incursions. as I posted earlier, the levees don't allow the river to seasonally flood and build up the land. the Gulf of Mexico is then not held back and is allowed to erode the barrier islands which for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years, kept hurricanes and storm surges at bay.
New Orleans is essential to the economy of this country; your off-the-cuff comments reflect your woeful ignorance of the subject.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

NOLA is NOT below sea level; in fact, New Orleans proper (the French Quarter) was built precisely where it is because that was the highest land.
the land is sinking because of man's incursions. as I posted earlier, the levees don't allow the river to seasonally flood and build up the land. the Gulf of Mexico is then not held back and is allowed to erode the barrier islands which for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years, kept hurricanes and storm surges at bay.
New Orleans is essential to the economy of this country; your off-the-cuff comments reflect your woeful ignorance of the subject.

I'm well aware the facts you listed. However, have you been to to the lower 9th Ward shortly after the Katrina and recently?

I don't think you have or you would not insult me with ignorance.

Rebuilding poor neighborhoods in the very flood prone areas is a sheer stupidity.

Educate yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Ninth_Ward

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: mpvue

I'm well aware the facts you listed. However, have you been to to the lower 9th Ward shortly after the Katrina and recently?

I don't think you have or you would not insult me with ignorance.

Rebuilding poor neighborhoods in the very flood prone areas is a sheer stupidity.

Educate yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_Ninth_Ward

I DO know about the 9th Ward, my comments were made more regarding the city.
I do agree with you, the poor areas are in a terrible spot. however, I don't think it's practical or even possible to just pick up and move all the residents of the poor areas. FEMA couldn't even hardly get them all moved into trailer parks, and then couldn't even hardly get them OUT of the trailers.

there is NO WAY the gov't could engineer a mass exodus of people. and besides, where would you put them?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

With the poverty rate in New Orleans, it's hard for many folks to just up and leave! It's a city with a rich history and community. People will be there until and unless a devastating hurricane wipes it off the map.

The rich have enough money to relocate and the poor have nothing to lose and everything to gain by relocating.

"New Orleans is essential to the economy of this country; your off-the-cuff comments reflect your woeful ignorance of the subject."

Are you running for office out there, eh?

"New Orleans is essential to the economy of this country; your off-the-cuff comments reflect your woeful ignorance of the subject."

Are you running for office out there, eh?

lolz...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back