Looks like Neworleans is gonna get slammed again

Status
Not open for further replies.
time to move to higher ground? maybe it was not a good Idea to build a city bellow seal level

Last edited:
I guess I better fill up with gas before they start shutting down the wells. Last week they were predicting it would come this way.

Yes the oil companies will use this to manipulate the price of gasoline, seems like they use any excuse to throw it to the consumer anymore.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Yes the oil companies will use this to manipulate the price of gasoline, seems like they use any excuse to throw it to the consumer anymore.

+1

And, dont forget, the last time a hurricane struck N'awleans it was a "weaponized hurricane" and the National Guard was alleged to have set off explosives to blow the levees of the French Quarter. Nice huh. Remember back to 2006 and the allegations made.
whistle.gif

I can only imagine what this possible refinery threat, and the corn problem, will do. Get your stock in ExxonMobil NOW!

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
And, dont forget, the last time a hurricane struck N'awleans it was a "weaponized hurricane" and the National Guard was alleged to have set off explosives to blow the levees of the French Quarter. Nice huh. Remember back to 2006 and the allegations made.
whistle.gif

I can only imagine what this possible refinery threat, and the corn problem, will do. Get your stock in ExxonMobil NOW!

nice revisionist history there dude. there were a few people of questionable repute who alleged that they blew up the levees in the 9th ward, NOT the French Quarter. big difference.

Maybe it was not a good idea to REBUILD a city built below sea level?
NO was warned for decades before Katrina but it was still completely unprepared.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
whistle.gif

nice revisionist history there dude. there were a few people of questionable repute who alleged that they blew up the levees in the 9th ward, NOT the French Quarter. big difference.

Ok! I stand corrected. "9th Ward." So you are familiar with some that siad they heard explosions there, in that 9th Ward? I wonder if they will say the same thing this year?

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Maybe it was not a good idea to REBUILD a city built below sea level?
NO was warned for decades before Katrina but it was still completely unprepared.

considering it would be unprecedented to completely vacate a city, I don't see how they had much choice.
how exactly would you propose you move millions of peoples and billions in businesses and infrastructure?
the city of NO has been there for hundreds of years. the problem is the levees themselves which alters the natural pattern of the river by not allowing it to flood periodically and build up the land. the land is sinking and the Gulf is encroaching.
so you would not only have to move the city, but really ALL of south Louisiana. anything below I-10 is in trouble.

Ok! I stand corrected. "9th Ward." So you are familiar with some that siad they heard explosions there, in that 9th Ward? I wonder if they will say the same thing this year?

just the perpetual 'victims' that were interviewed on the street that always think there is a conspiracy against them.

Originally Posted By: AVB
I guess I better fill up with gas before they start shutting down the wells. Last week they were predicting it would come this way.

And how long will that tank of gas last you? I don't know about you but it's like half a week for me. Issac will still be pounding the waves and I'll be outta gas again. Just do what you normally do.

A few bucks more per tank is better then spending thousand rebuilding your house, etc, etc after a direct hit.

So we should have roughnecks braving 75+ mph winds miles offshore so people 1000 miles away can have cheap gas to idle their explorers in the chick-fil-a drive through?

The oil will be there in a week when the derricks get their staff back. The risk of a gulf hurricane was anticipated by the futures market months ago; we should only be concerned about an above-average season... or hope for a below average one so the speculators lose their shirts.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

So we should have roughnecks braving 75+ mph winds miles offshore so people 1000 miles away can have cheap gas to idle their explorers in the chick-fil-a drive through?

The oil will be there in a week when the derricks get their staff back. The risk of a gulf hurricane was anticipated by the futures market months ago; we should only be concerned about an above-average season... or hope for a below average one so the speculators lose their shirts.

Well said.

I am sorry for the people of New Orleans and the surrounding parishes. This is the last thing they need after what happened with Katrina. Between Isaac, the ongoing problems in the Middle East and the refinery explosion in Venezuela on Saturday we had all better get ready for much higher gas prices. This is just more fuel for the fire, as far as Wall Street and speculators are concerned...

I live here (unfortunately) and grew up here. And we heard the same rumors after Hurricane Betsy in '65.

Originally Posted By: chiks
Maybe this time folks have more sense and actually start moving away.

The morons here all swarmed back, squealing, "It's home!" My view: After Vesuvius has exploded and destroyed your home town of Pompeii, it's time to move to Rome.

Believe me -- if I could have found a job somewhere north and west of here, where things like hurricanes don't happen, I'd have been gone in late '05.

This storm doesn't look to be anywhere near as bad. My only worry is that the power will go out; and in the heat and humidity at this time of year, that's not a small discomfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back