(marketing material) Collision Safety Consultants vs Progressive Insurance total loss

Still looks like there is something we don't know about the $18,300 price.
Local market values and prior repairs such as a rebuilt engine or upgrades can increase the vehicles value. This looks like a bro-dozer so probably a lot of goodies and previous repairs to consider.

That doesn't make good ad copy though.
I agree, that's pretty rough. I guess CSC won't be getting any gigs from insurance companies.

I would never take the automatic valuation that an insurance company would try to pay me if my car were to get totaled.
+1 Never accept the original total loss valuation. It can almost always be negotiated and improved by using a licensed public adjuster.

Then then moved on to extremely high mileage and hail damage cars with a very low condition adjustment.

Every trick in the book and it was "my" insurance because ERIE's adjuster the at fault insurance was too shady to deal with.
You are right on the money here. The valuation service that insurance companies use just happens to do a poor job of finding accurate comparable vehicles to base your vehicles value off of. Small mistakes such as touring vs non touring in your case cost $1000s.

There is no way a 24 year old truck from Ohio with 200k on it is worth over $18k.

This is a great example of why we're all paying increased insurance rates.
This is definitely an outlier, but with an agreement between 2 public adjusters, the facts were there to support the agreed value.

I think the pre emissions Diesel, combined with it being a 7.3 PS are at play here. I know those things go for a ton of money around here (rust free) for some clapped out truck that needs all new suspension and has lived its entire life on position 6 of 6 of the tune knob...with a slipping 4R100 tranny.

I stand corrected. We still don't know the mileage or condition. Still looks like there is something we don't know about the $18,300 price.

View attachment 196599
Well the challenge is finding a sorted one.

Sure, the prices run a wide range. A cursory eBay search showed this:

IMG_3162.jpg

>200k takes its toll. Low mileage examples get a premium. OP is in between.

If OPs truck is truly rust free and sorted, then a premium for a better condition rust free example can be substantial.

So if I wanted to protect myself in the event my rust free/clean 150k mile 4x4 7.3 were in an accident.. what should I say/do with my insurance?

AGREED

You want a policy in which you and the company agree on the value, not one in which you say it worth XX but isn't binding.

There are a number of caveats not the least of which is that it the market changes you wont get MORE than the agreed value. You should sit down and discuss this with your agent.

You are right on the money here. The valuation service that insurance companies use just happens to do a poor job of finding accurate comparable vehicles to base your vehicles value off of. Small mistakes such as touring vs non touring in your case cost $1000s.

Its an odd example because you have "subaru forester touring" and subaru forester wilderness etc.. its the same vehicle.. different options

in my case...
2 totally different vehicles... engines transmissions, chassis etc.
I was successful in getting the right amount of money but it was 6 weeks of crap.

Didn't do research/ homework to validate the below story that Collision Safety Consultants was able to get Progressive Insurance to pay out an additional $11k USD on a totaled 2000 F350 with 7.3 diesel. I suspect this is a very best-case scenario and not common.

Progressive appraisal: $6786 USD
Collision Safety Consultants hired independent appraisal: $18,335 USD
Additional fund for the insured (less assumed fess) the Insured was able to get paid from Progressive: $11, 567

What is not known is what the fee Collision Safety Consultants charges, and if Progressive dropped the insured after the challenged claim.

We smoked Progressive AGAIN. A customer called me from Ohio. His 2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT Extended Cab 7.3L 8 Cyl
Diesel Turbocharged 4WD with 196,173 miles caught fire. Progressive tried to burn them again on the truck’s value. They said according to our own Mitchell report your truck is only worth $6,768.36. The customer said that offer doesn’t even spark my interest. He asked the adjuster what he was smoking and rejected the lowball offer. The customer removed Progressive from the claim and forced them to hire an independent appraiser as required by the appraisal clause language in his auto policy. I emailed my valuation report to their appraiser. I let him smolder for a bit because I didn’t want to him to flare up on me. Amazingly he and I were only a couple hundred dollars apart on our values. I was all fired up when he said “ let’s agree the truck is actually worth $18,335.” So Progressive had to Match our binding agreement and pay my customer $11,567 more than what they told the customer they owed them! I never get tired of reducing these heartless companies to ashes. Never trust the people who owe you money to determine how much money they owe you. They will just inflame you with their fiery deception.
View attachment 196580

I follow him on Facebook. He will be one of my calls if I am in an accident.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back