A lot of hair regrowth ads on FB, any legit?

My son is barely gonna be 18 and it looks like he might already be losing a few, you can't really tell . i want to start him on something that's legit. I see a lot of ads on FB, but I don't trust them. All his male grandparents were bald,including me. I don't want him to go through the tradition.... Any recommendations?

I think they're all gimmicks. If one could simply take a pill and grow all their hair back that would be front page news, not just something we hear about on infomercials. I would venture to say that people would be lining up by the millions to buy such a miracle product.

My son is barely gonna be 18 and it looks like he might already be losing a few, you can't really tell . i want to start him on something that's legit. I see a lot of ads on FB, but I don't trust them. All his male grandparents were bald,including me. I don't want him to go through the tradition.... Any recommendations?

Minoxidil has been around for ages and is legit. It is off-patent and available OTC cheaply (Costco even). Consult a doctor, though, to see if it’s the best thing given a genetic pre-disposition.

I would ask what he wants before you go ahead with the drugs. Maybe he doesn't care?

The only thing that is going to be permanent is doing the actual surgical hair replacement/transplant. Anything else will just be temporary or only work until you stop taking it (Minoxidil/Finasteride). I have a friend that did the transplant thing maybe 15-20 years ago. His looks just fine but he spent a buttload of money doing it.

Minoxidil tends to lower blood pressure and Finasteride has some other interesting side effects.

I've been balding since my early 20's. Just kept cutting it shorter and shorter until I went with shaving it in 2008 (48 now).

Last edited:
I was always concerned that those products would make hair grow on the palms of my hands. Or worse yet, just one palm…

Speaking of hair transplants, I know an acquaintance who spent $25K on getting hair plugs. He has about a 2-inch wide strip of hair that goes over the top of his head and looks about as unnatural as can be. Behind that strip is nothing but bare skin. Looking at the side of his head, it downright comical. Please don’t ever have you or your son do that.

Turkey has a major industry for male hair transplant. Reportedly a cottage industry in Turkey, hair transplants for men at a very significant discount to western nations.

This below site provides a cost estimate.

I would stay away from the hormonal treatments. They have very nasty side effects especially on teens/young adults. Past 50 I guess fertility doesn't matter and acne is just an annoyance when the rest of your body is falling apart anyways, but for young boys, NO. Stay away from fenesteride and minoxidil.

Try soapbox. I have been using it for 2 years and have not lost hair since, at least in a visible quantity. Cant stop it completely but it 100% is a safe way to slow it down.

Also tell him to take collagen/biotin supplements.

Speaking of hair transplants, I know an acquaintance who spent $25K on getting hair plugs. He has about a 2-inch wide strip of hair that goes over the top of his head and looks about as unnatural as can be. Behind that strip is nothing but bare skin. Looking at the side of his head, it downright comical. Please don’t ever have you or your son do that.
Movie actors must get the real expensive ones. Matthew Mcconaughey, Arnold, Tom Cruise etc.

Any recommendations?
hat.jpg

I think the hair transplants also require you to be on finasteride.
As others have said avoid that and other pills as they manipulate DHT which can have major side effects.

hair growth formulas are an offshoot of alchemy but with a far better potential of turning their product into gold.

I started losing hair around 20, now at 33 I've used a razor for going on 10 years. Even if I could grow a full head of hair I don't think I'd do it...no hat head/helmet head, no shampoo needed, no hair cuts to schedule. Only downside is sun exposure in the summer but that's what hats are for. Bald is part of my identity now and it really is the Toyota of hair styles 😆

I never gave
I started losing hair around 20, now at 33 I've used a razor for going in 10 years. Even if I could grow a full head of hair I don't think I'd do it...no hat head/helmet head, no shampoo needed, no hair cuts to schedule. Only downside is sun exposure in the summer but that's what hats are for.
I never cared about my hair.. and I have a full head of it... I use a #2 and just go around my head every now and then.
like you said, it is way easier..

Reactions: Bud
Turkey has a major industry for male hair transplant. Reportedly a cottage industry in Turkey, hair transplants for men at a very significant discount to western nations.
They do cosmetic dentistry too, to mixed reviews.

As for OP, it sounds like YOU are concerned about this more than he is, sounds like a you-thing. Maybe bring it up, once, just so he knows there are options if he wants to pursue them, then drop it.

Back