Anything is easier when you don't have a choice.

There is always that one bad neighbor in every hood. Only you can make the decision to stay in your home or sell it. Those types of bothersome neighbors are very irritating.
The thing is there is always a possibility that we could end up with a worse neighbor in a new location. That seems highly unlikely at this point though, this one is up there on the nastiness scale.

OK, I am maybe being harsh here - but your neighbor was burning something on his own property that you didn't like, so you called the fire department rather than talk to him about it. Then it escalated and you got the police involved with a protective order, and are unhappy when he did the same. I can absolutely see how this went sideways - whether you were in the right or not - if this is truly out in the country things work differently. You tried to deal with a country problem in a city manner.

Again, not making judgement - I grew up way out in the woods, but have lived in the city for years. It honestly doesn't sound like its your cup of tea. Unless you have the funds to buy an island or 1000's of acres out west, your always going to have a neighbor that does stuff you don't like. If the worst he did was burn something you didn't like, sounds like a pretty good neighbor to me? Maybe you left out all the other transgressions.

OK, I am maybe being harsh here - but your neighbor was burning something on his own property that you didn't like, so you called the fire department rather than talk to him about it. Then it escalated and you got the police involved with a protective order, and are unhappy when he did the same. I can absolutely see how this went sideways - whether you were in the right or not - if this is truly out in the country things work differently. You tried to deal with a country problem in a city manner.

Again, not making judgement - I grew up way out in the woods, but have lived in the city for years. It honestly doesn't sound like its your cup of tea. Unless you have the funds to buy an island or 1000's of acres out west, your always going to have a neighbor that does stuff you don't like. If the worst he did was burn something you didn't like, sounds like a pretty good neighbor to me? Maybe you left out all the other transgressions.

We tried many times over the years to speak to him, he would always run away if we waved to him. One time I had a package of his that got delivered to my house by mistake, I brought it over there and knocked on the door, he peeped out of the blinds and that was it, he never came to the door.

Its not merely him doing something I didn't like, its illegal and caused us breathing issues, it filled our house with noxious fumes and that's a pretty ignorant neighbor if you ask me. None of the other neighbors behave in that manner.

The protective order was filed on our part because he committed two crimes against us and scared my wife and minor daughter.

If that's the "country way" well you can have it! I was raised better than that.

I do agree with you, talking about it is the best way to go about it, but with this guy it simply was not possible.

Back