Looking for a good, reusable OEM replacement air filter for 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi V8

Just use a paper filter, none of the aftermarket filters filter as well.

If you are absolutely hell bent on using something different than OE, then the Volant systems use a Donaldson PowerCore filter (what you find on large HD diesels) that is good for 100,000 miles.

Anybody know who makes the filter that comes in the Mopar CAI? I had one of those until I sold it and put the original air cleaner back on.

It was a good filter I guess but the only reason why I sold it and got rid of it was because the filter being one of those cone filters, was hard to clean. That, and instead of the crankcase hose just tying somewhere into the piping between the throttle body and the filter, it went directly into the filter itself and made it kinda hard to pull the filter out of the box when it came time to service it.

The only reason why I even bought it in the first place was because at one point, I was really interested in buying the sport hood for these trucks that have the blank hood scoops and if you buy the Mopar kit that makes one of the scoops functional, you had to have that Mopar CAI for the hood scoop duct under the hood to seal over the opening in the new air cleaner but figured that was gonna be too much money for what it was worth…lol.

But yeah, I got no problems using a throw-away paper filter, I just wanted one that might flow a little better that was reusable.

Reactions: JTK
Do you go through enough engine air filters that reusable would be a huge cost savings?

I'm over 50K miles on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi and I've replaced the air filter once. The factory one didn't look bad at all when I tossed it.
Well, lol, being that for the last couple years I’ve only driven the thing less than 7,000 miles a year, probably not. I don’t right off hand remember the brand of reusable filter I was looking at but it was a dry filter and it was about 70 bucks. I wouldn’t mind using another aftermarket CAI like the one Overkill mentioned but from what I hear a lot, the factory air box on the 4th-gen Rams was just as good of a CAI as it gets unless you got a lot of engine mods that would call for more.

Who knows, it might of been unnecessary but the filter that was in the Mopar CAI I bought that I ran ever since I bought the truck new in 2018 up until a few months ago, I cleaned it about once a year.

Nothing that's a gauze filter is as good as OE paper. The only thing better than OE paper is the Donaldson PowerCore.

There's really nothing to gain on a stock engine, the factory airbox and filter assembly flows more than enough air to feed the engine.
I guess I could look into it myself but does that Donaldson Power Core make an OEM replacement filter that’s washable?

But yeah, I’ve been told that numerous times that pretty much any of the aftermarket CAI’s aren’t any better unless you have some engine mods or if you just want to hear the air being sucked into the throttle body under WOT.

I see the price for OE filter on Rock Auto for $29, vs Whatever price you pay other the counter for the filter..

I usually run my filter for about 20k, or if it looks dirty when I check it once every other month.. Are you trying to save money?

Agreed, just use a paper filter. The only way to get the embedded dust and sand out of a filter is to wash it with some force. very easy to get wash a thin spot or hole in the filter. Then you have a filter that does not filter well. Even with K&N filters with oil dont filter as well as some of the paper filters. If you want to see what performance difference a filter has, just drive it without a filter for a lap around the neighborhood then put the filter back in and drive it again. I dont think you will see a difference worth any extra effort. Same will be true for gas mileage.

I guess I could look into it myself but does that Donaldson Power Core make an OEM replacement filter that’s washable?

But yeah, I’ve been told that numerous times that pretty much any of the aftermarket CAI’s aren’t any better unless you have some engine mods or if you just want to hear the air being sucked into the throttle body under WOT.
No, the Donaldson uses a special synthetic media arranged in a honeycomb fashion to massively increase filter area and holding capacity. It is not designed to be cleaned.

I see the price for OE filter on Rock Auto for $29, vs Whatever price you pay other the counter for the filter..

I usually run my filter for about 20k, or if it looks dirty when I check it once every other month.. Are you trying to save money?
For the most part yes but I’m just looking for something that I can clean and put back in there instead of having to buy a new one and something that flows good but still filters good even if it’s not as good as a paper filter which, if you think about it kinda understandable because I imagine it would be rather difficult to make a filter that filters just as good as a paper filter but flow more air as it filters it. Seems to me you have to have one or the other, not both.

Agreed, just use a paper filter. The only way to get the embedded dust and sand out of a filter is to wash it with some force. very easy to get wash a thin spot or hole in the filter. Then you have a filter that does not filter well. Even with K&N filters with oil dont filter as well as some of the paper filters. If you want to see what performance difference a filter has, just drive it without a filter for a lap around the neighborhood then put the filter back in and drive it again. I dont think you will see a difference worth any extra effort. Same will be true for gas mileage.
Yeah, that’s the thing about K&N filters that eventually started bothering me was when they say the filter filters better the dirtier it gets….lol.

No, the Donaldson uses a special synthetic media arranged in a honeycomb fashion to massively increase filter area and holding capacity. It is not designed to be cleaned.
Oh, ok. I guess I missed that part if you said it wasn’t washable.

You are asking this on a oil forum that seeks to minimize wear on internal components. poor air filtration will cause more wear than any differences in oil. at $15/filter that can run 20-30K miles ( a few years for most people) I don't think that is a good place to add hassle and risk poor filtration.

Back