Looking for a good, reusable OEM replacement air filter for 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi V8

A big issue I have with aftermarket air filters is the edge seals. Every single aftermarket filter I've seen has the stiff black seals. I'll take the compliant orange seals on an OEM style filter any day of the week.

Scott

The AEM dry flow I have claims 99% efficiency as does the Motorcraft replacement filter. Neither clearly stated at what particle size they are 99% efficient.

I’ve had mine installed for 50k miles now. I clean it and the air box every 20k with a shop vac. I’m unsure if I will clean it with water and cleaning solution when it gets to that point or simply discard it and replace with a paper element.

The AEM dry flow I have claims 99% efficiency as does the Motorcraft replacement filter. Neither clearly stated at what particle size they are 99% efficient.
Do they state an ISO test method?

Do they state an ISO test method?
On the aem site they have ISO 5011 test results with their dry flow media showing 98.54% efficient. Not sure if that pertains to the statements made in their advertising or just one particular filter.

I purchased my AEM with confidence because (former??)member Jim Allen recommended the AEM dryflows and he was never one to give out bad information. Things change constantly and they may no longer be quality but mine has a good solid seal and the media is advertised as highly efficient.

On the aem site they have ISO 5011 test results with their dry flow media showing 98.54% efficient. Not sure if that pertains to the statements made in their advertising or just one particular filter.
ISO 5011 is the correct test spec. Typically the filter tester will specify if the ISO 5011 test used the coarse or fine test dust. If it's 98.54% efficient with the fine test dust that's pretty good. Also, the test spec will typically say what filter model the efficiency test is based on.

Corneilous, l use a fram ultra” I think”. It’s the that comes wrapped in sealed plastic as it’s oiled at the factory. Available at Walmart. I change every 3 years. Not wasting my time cleaning and reusing an air filter. As for K&n, it’s well, you already know I’m going to type …,

Corneilous, l use a fram ultra” I think”. It’s the that comes wrapped in sealed plastic as it’s oiled at the factory. Available at Walmart. I change every 3 years. Not wasting my time cleaning and reusing an air filter. As for K&n, it’s well, you already know I’m going to type …,
There’s a Fram oil filter that has oil on it? I went to Fram’s website but I didn’t see any air filters that had oil in them. Did the vehicle search and there’s a Fram Ultra Air that says it’s good for 4 years or 40,000 miles butbut didn’t say anything about being oiled.

There’s a Fram oil filter that has oil on it? I went to Fram’s website but I didn’t see any air filters that had oil in them. Did the vehicle search and there’s a Fram Ultra Air that says it’s good for 4 years or 40,000 miles butbut didn’t say anything about being oiled.
Checked the sight, guess I was mistaken as it came sealed in an air tight wrap. Thought it was to keep the oil from from drying. Maybe it wasn’t a fram.

Since this thread has been around almost one month, is it safe to assume the OP has been torturing himself longer?
It might be time to call off the search and pick one. just sayin'.

Me: This thread got me to look at Donaldson's look-up and saw they have an oil and air filter listing for my 2005 Ranger 4.0l.
However, I have no guarantee if Donaldson's "special construction" is included.
These offerings could be there for their large customers' employees' "trucklettes". I'm not besmirching Donaldson. It's just that a company which makes huge, industrial filters likely doesn't have a line for little products. I'd expect a big operator to fill small cracks in the catalog with outsourced items.
This might be a, "what's the best oil for my car", thread.

Last edited:
Since this thread has been around almost one month, is it safe to assume the OP has been torturing himself longer?
It might be time to call off the search and pick one. just sayin'.

Me: This thread got me to look at Donaldson's look-up and saw they have an oil and air filter listing for my 2005 Ranger 4.0l.
However, I have no guarantee if Donaldson's "special construction" is included.
These offerings could be there for their large customers' employees' "trucklettes". I'm not besmirching Donaldson. It's just that a company which makes huge, industrial filters likely doesn't have a line for little products. I'd expect a big operator to fill small cracks in the catalog with outsourced items.
This might be a, "what's the best oil for my car", thread.
I guess I just don’t understand what I could be torturing myself over because I’m not torturing myself at all…lol. I don’t know, without going all the way back up to my opening post and looking, maybe I did forget to mention that if anything, I won’t have to change my current air filter for probably another six months at the earliest so why would it matter if this thread’s over a month old? I guess I can understand your confusion of it assuming that when I posted this thread that I was in need of an air filter right now but just to clear, this is more/less just a discussion to give me things to think about long before that time comes up to change my air filter.

And no, this isn’t a “what’s the best oil for my car“ thread and it isn’t even a “what’s the best air filter for my car” thread either because everybody ought to know by now that there is no correct answer to either of those two questions; I just figured this would be a good place to get maybe a different set of opinions that would be geared more towards what filters clean the air better rather than what would make my air intake sound better or what would give me more power no matter how minute it could be.

Based on the majority of the responses here I’ll probably just stick with the plain disposable paper air filter if a lot of the reusable air filters just really don’t filter the air the way they’re supposed to, which is pretty much why the title of the discussion asks if there are any reusable air filters that even though they may not filter as well as a disposable paper one will but at least filters the air a lot better than a K&N which I will never use again.

Back