Looking for a cheap .38 or .357 revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planing on going to a gun show this weekend. Looking for a beat up revolver just to keep in my garage with snake shot in it for the rattlers that live around my house.

Looking for a name brand S&W, Ruger, Colt Etc. Don't care if its scratched, or worn, as long as it works properly.

What price can I expect to pay for something like this??....haven't been to a gun show in quite some time.

Probably a couple hundred bucks for a worn one. I'd pay attention to the type of action you want (single action vs. double action). Wheel guns are pretty reliable, but I'd certainly make sure it goes "click" when you pull the trigger and rotates the cylinder with a cock of the hammer, etc.

You'll probably pay a lot more for one built for .357, so if that specific round isn't important to you, a .38 SPL model will be just fine.

You could even go with any 22 long rifle handgun. CCI sells shot loaded 22lr rounds that are made specifically for pest control.

357 will cost more. But likely will have more heft to it, which may make it nicer to shoot. It will still shoot 38's though.

I only really follow Ruger. IMO the LCR series is hard to beat for a decent gun right out of the box, at least by most reviews. I had the 38spl version, but quickly traded for the 357 version, as the recoil was too much for me. The 38spl is a great lightweight gun; I definitely noticed the extra weight of the 357--but that extra heft made it much nicer to shoot.

Even nicer to shoot is the SP101, which usually can be had with a hammer spur, if you are into single action shooting. Nice looking gun, easy to work on, and pretty small, but even heavier than the LCR.

Make sure whatever you get is still in time. Might not matter as much with just snake shot but I'd check anyhow.

Originally Posted By: supton
357 will cost more. But likely will have more heft to it, which may make it nicer to shoot. It will still shoot 38's though.

I only really follow Ruger. IMO the LCR series is hard to beat for a decent gun right out of the box, at least by most reviews. I had the 38spl version, but quickly traded for the 357 version, as the recoil was too much for me. The 38spl is a great lightweight gun; I definitely noticed the extra weight of the 357--but that extra heft made it much nicer to shoot.

Even nicer to shoot is the SP101, which usually can be had with a hammer spur, if you are into single action shooting. Nice looking gun, easy to work on, and pretty small, but even heavier than the LCR.

Make sure whatever you get is still in time. Might not matter as much with just snake shot but I'd check anyhow.

Hard to be an SP101 for ruggedness and durability as well as a plethora of aftermarket goodies. That would be my pick.

Can occasionally be found used for a couple hundred bones.

UD

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!

I have a .22 pistol but with snake shot just doesn't have enough knock down power.

always buy teh .357. that way you can load 38 specials in it if you want or the 357's but you buy a 38, you stuck with just a 38...

Any reason to buy a gun is a good reason but around here a shovel does a great job of dispatching the Rattlers .

Around here, any revolver made by any respected manufacturer going for less than $300 is going to be a basket case, either shot loose from heavy handloads, beat to heck from being used as a hammer, or otherwise ridiculously abused.

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
Around here, any revolver made by any respected manufacturer going for less than $300 is going to be a basket case, either shot loose from heavy handloads, beat to heck from being used as a hammer, or otherwise ridiculously abused.

Probably the same could be said about a good used truck for under $3000 as well in Alaska.

S&W Model 10 or 64 would get my vote for a 38 special.

They've climbed in price, but can still be had in the $350 range at least around here.

I don't shoot 38 Specials in my 357s, but I guess I have enough of both that I can make that choice. Cleaning the chambers completely after shooting a lot of 357s can be a long affair, and failing to do so will almost invariably lead to "sticky" cases.

If you're set on a 357, I'm partial to the S&W Model 19, although they do have their problems(forcing cone erosion/cracking when shot a lot with 125gr 357 Magnums). You're easily looking at $500+ for one, though.

There are some bargains to be had in 38 Special Colt wheel guns, especially in the Police Positive Special and Official Police models. With that said, I'd discourage you from buying a Colt unless you know how to evaluate the condition of the action. A piece of bullet jacket hitting you in the cheek will quickly remind you that one with action faults shouldn't be shot until fixed(and very few gun smiths know how to fix them correctly).

Last edited:
The new Charter Arms are actually pretty solid guns if you're on a budget. They can be had for $300ish and I'd pick them over a Taurus. No S&W or Ruger but they work. I have one in .44 special.

Yep, revolvers have gone up a bit in price - $300 is probably what you'll need to pay for a S&W Model 10 or 15 in decent but not pristine condition. Watch out for "cylinder cramp" in any revolver you look at, which means the cylinder gets tight at a certain clocking position. It's a fairly common problem with older ('60's to '70's and maybe later) S&W's and not always easy to fix, as parts for specific years of S&W's can be hard to come by. Just speakin' from experience!

Here's an Armslist.com link for .38 SPL and .357 revolvers anywhere in the state of Texas. $500-600 will buy you a nice S&W model 60 or Ruger GP100, or you can get into a new Taurus for under $300.

Here's a used Rohm for $175. I know nothing about Rohm, or if that's a good or poor value. Just an example of what less than $200 would buy.

Gun Show prices will probably be just a little less than internet listings, only because there's usually SO MUCH selection there.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Here's a used Rohm for $175. I know nothing about Rohm, or if that's a good or poor value. Just an example of what less than $200 would buy.

Rohm is the stereotypical "Saturday Night Special" and in fact the company is infamous in that John Hinkley used a Rohm 22 in the Reagan assisination attempt.

Aside from that unpleasant association, they just overall are not very good guns. Speaking for myself, I'd rather have a less than perfect S&W m10 than two Rohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back