Looking for a cheap .38 or .357 revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny enough, the chambers in my Trooper 357 are a bit crude looking. In fact, when I bought the gun I negotiated it at a price assuming I was going to have to pay a gun smith to work on the chambers.

The gun was a security guard gun that I think was carried a lot a rarely shot. I've yet to throw a 357 load at it that I couldn't eject with one finger on the rod. Yes, some take a lot more force than others, but it ejects reliably every time even shooting a full Keith load(168gr LSWC over 13.5gr 2400) or "obnoxious load"(125gr JSP over 22gr 296). By contrast, most of my other 357s-even with clean chambers-take a gentle "pop" on the rod to break some of the hotter 357s loose. After getting all the chambers as close to spotless as could be and swearing to never again shoot specials, all I ever need is the initial "pop" with my palm, but they're still not as good as the Colt. To be fair, I think the Colt was a security guard gun, as it has a decent amount of holster and grip wear but came to me with 6 1960s vintage 357 magnum cartridges in the cylinder
smile.gif
. It wouldn't surprise me if the gun had never actually been shot before I bought it.

Contrast all of that with the brand new Ruger Single 7 327 Magnum I bought. I unboxed the gun and walked out to the range with a single box of factory ammo(at that point, I hadn't even managed to find any brass to load). Even at that, of the half dozen commercial loadings for this caliber, this one was one of the "lightest"(Federal 85gr JSP, intended to replicate the ballistics of the 85gr Hydra-Shock). I had a bunch of issues with the gun, and after shooting the first cylinder had to pull it out of the frame and use a hammer and dowel. Fortunately, I sent it back to Ruger and it came back perfect in less than two weeks.

I'll also so that I've thrown together some loads for my 45 Colt Blackhawk that are in the range of "Let me stand here and watch you shoot them." It never takes more than a firm push on the ejector rod to get them loose. My S&W 629(the only 44 Mag I own) is the same way. Since it IS the only 44 caliber handgun I have(not counting 44-40), it sees Specials sometimes although I'm careful to keep it clean.

Make sure to take a long pencil with you when checking out a used revolver. Point the barrel straight up, put the pencil in the barrel, pull the trigger and if the pencil doesn't pop up, don't buy the gun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Make sure to take a long pencil with you when checking out a used revolver. Point the barrel straight up, put the pencil in the barrel, pull the trigger and if the pencil doesn't pop up, don't buy the gun.

I have used similar tricks when buying CZ52's or early Walthers, especially late ww2 era ones. I do it to make sure the decocker is actually not firing the gun.

I know Rock Island Arsenal has a fair reputation for dependable budget 1911s, but the current Rural King flier has RIA .38 SPL revolvers for $199.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I know Rock Island Arsenal has a fair reputation for dependable budget 1911s, but the current Rural King flier has RIA .38 SPL revolvers for $199.

I've loved every RIA/Armscorp 1911 that I've shot, and in fact they made the only 1911 I own(a 38 Super).

With that said, I shot a friend's 4" Armscorp 38 Special revolver a couple of years back. As I think someone mentioned, it's more or less a clone of a late Colt Police Positive Special/Detective Special and makes for a very nice size gun. The frame is a bit smaller than an S&W K frame, but they hold 6 shots and can actually use a #10 speed loader.

My friend-at the time-had an aversion to hand loaded ammo so we only shot the WWB 130gr FMJs that he'd brought in the gun. We got probably 50% FTFs on the first strike, and at the end of the day had about a dozen rounds that wouldn't fire at all. I loaded all of them into my S&W 64, and every single one fired.

When I looked at both the brass he gave me and the unfired rounds, I noticed that all were VERY light strikes-i.e. it almost looked like had dimpled them with the point of a nail. After seeing that, I was amazed that any had fired at all. I wish I'd saved some, as I've never seen primers that looked like that(if I wanted to dig through my "waiting to go to the recycler" primer bucket I could probably find them, but that would be looking for a needle in a haystack).

That was a single example that was several years old, so I'm not sure that it's necessarily a valid comparison. The guns are popular enough that I'd think people other than me would be reporting the issue if it were common. In addition, the later coil spring Colts with frame mounted firing pins were notorious for breaking pins when dry firing, so the same fault may have occurred with my friend's gun and we were only using a small "nub" of the original pin. Still, I'd look over any potential purchase carefully and also would only dry fire with snap caps.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
....I've loved every RIA/Armscorp 1911 that I've shot, and in fact they made the only 1911 I own(a 38 Super)......

I purchased this Rock Island Armory G.I. Model in 9 MM several months ago. Thus far the gun has around 800 rounds through it without a single FTF or FTE. The cases eject with no damage, and the gun drops them about 2 ft. to my right, and about 4 ft. behind me in a nice little cluster. I will say that this gun has one of the best triggers I've ever shot. Perhaps that was pot luck, and nothing more. But this gun operates well enough that I would purchase another Rock Island Armory 1911 without any concern. That said, I cannot comment about their revolvers, as I have exactly zero experience with them.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
....I've loved every RIA/Armscorp 1911 that I've shot, and in fact they made the only 1911 I own(a 38 Super)......

I purchased this Rock Island Armory G.I. Model in 9 MM several months ago. Thus far the gun has around 800 rounds through it without a single FTF or FTE. The cases eject with no damage, and the gun drops them about 2 ft. to my right, and about 4 ft. behind me in a nice little cluster. I will say that this gun has one of the best triggers I've ever shot. Perhaps that was pot luck, and nothing more. But this gun operates well enough that I would purchase another Rock Island Armory 1911 without any concern. That said, I cannot comment about their revolvers, as I have exactly zero experience with them.

When someone asks me for suggestions on a 1911 or wants a non-polymer semi-auto I always steer them to RIAs. I've known three people who have bought them on my suggestion, and in a range of models. As I said, my one and only 1911(period) is a GI model in 38 Super. Mine was flawless out of the box, and much like you I've never had any kind of jam in probably 1000 rounds(admittedly mostly handloaded).

Mine is an older one with the "billboard" on the side of it-I think the shop had it in inventory for a while before I bought it in 2014. IMO, they've started to look a lot better since they toned down the writing on the slide. At least they're weren't as bad as "Shoot all day and read the side of the gun all night" Rugers.

I have shot some high end 1911s(Wilson Combat, Ed Brown) and although they are a work of art I don't see them being functionally better than the RIA. 1911s were supposed to be a bit "sloppy" in their slide to frame fit and I think sometimes that the ones that are too tight are worse about jamming than "GI Spec" ones.

At the end of the day, my favorite 1911 I've ever shot was a 1950s Colt Government Model, but I think it was such a nice shooting gun just because of all the time it had been kicked around. That gun belong to the same friend who had the Armscorp revolver. He'd found it out in his grandfathers shed, then had cleaned it up, replaced what needed replacing, rust blued it, and proceeded to shoot the snot out of it. That gun had a certain amount of character that I've not seen in any new 1911, but then it also had a lot of a story behind it.

I've shot one RIA 1911; it was a friend's gun and it was the compact size. I really enjoyed it. Recoil was pretty comfortable and the gun operated pretty smooth. They're also probably capture the essence of the 1911 as good as any currently produced: simple appearance, black in color with wood grips. I like the spur hammer and the mid-length beavertail.

I have 2 1911's. A 1945 Remington A1 and a 1911A1 Colt replica. Could never shoot very well with the full size Colt.

The OP was looking for a revolver and now folks are talking about 1911s?

You can get a brand new Taurus 65 or Rossi 85104 4" in the $320 range from KY Gun. They are excellent guns. Load them with snake shot and you are good to go.
I got a "blem" Taurus 65 .357 for $319.00 delivered+FFL. It's flawless. Shoots as well as my 686...trigger might be better.

Originally Posted By: Toros
The OP was looking for a revolver and now folks are talking about 1911s?

You can get a brand new Taurus 65 or Rossi 85104 4" in the $320 range from KY Gun. They are excellent guns. Load them with snake shot and you are good to go.
I got a "blem" Taurus 65 .357 for $319.00 delivered+FFL. It's flawless. Shoots as well as my 686...trigger might be better.

Some of the Braztech/Taurus guns run like tops, but if yours does not, it will be a regrettable purchase. The warranty and customer service leaves much to be desired from them. Sometimes a person can pick up a used model 10 or 64 S&W at a good price.

As for everyone suggesting RIA 1911's, well RIA makes 38 wheelguns (snubs and 4 inch models) that are very clearly Colt Detective inspired but simplified for production. You can get them for around 250 and the customer service is pretty solid.

I found a S&W Model 10 .38 Special on Guns International for $365.00. Appears to have never been shot(according to FFL gunsmith who handled purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back