LOOK what MMO did to my pistons!!!!!!! and MORE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Gary, my issue with MMO is that I can't tell on a given year what the stuff is.

Terry, I've been enjoying the smell of MMO for dern near half a century. It still smells the same to me. Spectroscopic analysis? What the heck is that compared to the olfactory powers of an experienced near geriactric post GC nasal port dripping device. Huh?... Rickey.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Gary, my issue with MMO is that I can't tell on a given year what the stuff is. I know what LC is, at least I think I do.
wink.gif

Secondly deposits are not the only unknown issue with MMO its what the stuff does longer term.

I would still use MMO in some cleaning situations but prefer LC. Isn't LC cheaper anyway ? My aircraft buds are using LC with great results and dropping the mystery stuff they have used for 50 years.

On ATF I DO NOT USE IT in anything that burns. Glazing is not a good outcome in my book, seems the MMO cleared that out if I can see the pix well enough.

From what i've read is that MMO has remained pretty much unchanged throughout the years.Many have commented many differences from batch to batch of LC(color,smell).Even the VOA of LC is different then what was a couple of years ago if i've read right.

BTW,MMO is way cheaper than LC.You can get a gallon of MMO for the same price as 32 ounces of LC(shipping not added).

Oh, Terry, there are surely a multitude of preferred methods and chemicals that may be favored over MMO and how I used it. This in no way says that MMO is the best product ..nor that I used it in a favorable manner. Certainly my method would not be recommended in any application of any additive.

I don't have your reservations for the introduction of ATF since my experience doesn't give me cause to. Your experience and knowledge obviously cause you to conclude otherwise. Perhaps we can agree to disagree on this point.
smile.gif

This only states, or shows, what didn't happen in my use of this product in this manner. FP may have produced like results used in a like manner ...or like results used in its prescribed manner. I don't know that since I didn't use it
dunno.gif

I don't have easy access to a borescope. This would have been the only other way to show these results of my use of this product. Otherwise I would be limited to our usual indicators .. MPG, "easy starting", and the good old butt dyno
wink.gif

As alway (and I'll reassert this) this is offered FWIW

Edit: I don't use MMO as something like LC. They're different animals. I usually limit MMO to my oil fired boiler. This was about the first time I had used it in an engine in many years. I merely wanted to have convincing evidence that it did no harm.

MMO's formula has changed since its creation. There were differnces in MSDS sheets that breached certain years. There was probably a combonation of reasons ...everything from more contemporary plastic packaging ..to removing some agent that was harmful to cats.
dunno.gif

MMO
Stoddard solvent 008052-41-3 (less then)30
Distillates, petroleum, solvent-refined heavy naphthenic 064741-96-4 (less then)75
Distillates, petroleum, solvent-dewaxed heavy naphthenic 064742-63-8 (less then)75

MMO with 6/20/02 date (I dunno if the other is before or after
dunno.gif
)
Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
o-Dichlorobenzene 000095-50-1 0-1
Stoddard solvent 008052-41-3 20-30
Hydrotreated heavy naphthenic distillate solvent extract 064742-52-5 70-80

Source: Household products MSDS Hit Auto, Motor Oil, additive to find these MSDS sheets.

[ June 09, 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

I've almost gone all the way through my front tank of fuel... I've spent quite a bit of time on the interstate climbing steep grades at 3,000 - 3,500 rpm. I have been accelerating fairly hard and then backing off, letting the engine decelerate the truck down to 2,500 rpm and then accelerating back up to 3,000 - 3,500 rpm or so.

The engine has become progressively livelier and it revs much more freely now - it's much smoother in the 3,000 - 3,500 rpm range than it was before.

My wife drove it and notices more power - "pep," as she calls it. It is definitely more responsive, gaining revs more quickly.

So, it seems that the "butt test" is being passed with flying colors.

After going through the rear tank (which has "only" a quart of MMO mixed with its 19 gallons), I'll fill both tanks with Chevron Regular Unleaded and start driving it normally. I'll let you know if the fuel usage has diminished any... it has been getting between 7 and 8.25 mpg before this MMO/ATF experiment. This range is not abnormal for a carburated 460-powered 4x4 pickup with 4.10 gears and no overdrive. It has 99,000 miles on the original 22-year old engine.

So far, so good.
cool.gif

Okay, I just ran my front tank dry... I filled it with Chevron Premium and put a bottle of Techron in it (the size for a 20 gal. gas tank).

I'm now on my rear tank which just has a quart of MMO mixed into it.

It took 19.177 gallons and ran dry at exactly 164.8 miles, so I got 8.59 mpg on the tank that had one quart MMO and two quarts ATF. I was flooring it around, up and down long grades, and just generally not babying it, and this is my best recorded fuel mileage.

I checked the oil, and the Rotella 5W-40 (just changed 250 miles ago) is full and still looks like new, so apparently not a lot of blow-by caused by this experiment.
cheers.gif

I just re-filled my rear tank: 157 miles, 19.4 gallons, 8.09 mpg.

Now I'm back on the front tank, filled with Chevron Premium and Techron.

The engine is running very smoothly, and it cruises effortlessly at 3,000 rpm. It also accelerates very strongly now.

I put AutoRx in at 99,300 miles (130 miles ago), so at 100,800 I'll be changing the oil and beginning the rinse phase.

All-in-all, it appears that there have been no adverse effects from the MMO/ATF "cocktail," and the fuel economy has definitely improved, although not by a huge amount. Before, I was usually in the sevens, but these last two tanks have both been in the eights, despite the truck being driven more aggressively than I've ever driven it.

Gary, I decided to use the MMO/ATF cocktail on my Isuzu Rodeo 1993 along with my first ARX dose on it. So far nothing feels wrong with my vehicle and everything is responding better including more mileage , lets see how it keeps up. Thanks

You know gary at first I was a bit confused of using ATF on gasoline!!!? but then I said it screw it im gonna try it out what can I lose??

by the way as soon as I bought the trans fluid and the MMO , i decided to put it in my car in the parking lot, a guy was passing me and saw ATF going through my gasoline tank and he was like " Dude what the **** are you doing?"

The only thing I told him was "Gary told me to do it to clean the **** outta my engine "
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rauljimenez:
...by the way as soon as I bought the trans fluid and the MMO , i decided to put it in my car in the parking lot, a guy was passing me and saw ATF going through my gasoline tank and he was like " Dude what the **** are you doing?"

The only thing I told him was "Gary told me to do it to clean the **** outta my engine "
smile.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Or you could have deadpanned, "My wife said I was a quart low..."

I should of taken pictures of my Supra when I had it apart. 150K miles without a drop of ATF, MMO, or anything else. The pistons, combustion chambers and valves were as clean if not cleaner.

Without before and after pics, it's kinda' difficult to determine what any of this stuff is really doing, but it sounds like you having fun.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Without before and after pics, it's kinda' difficult to determine what any of this stuff is really doing,

True, but you probably didn't have a major fogger for about 25-30k either (pre-AutoRx) ..but you're right. It's not anything conclusive at all.
quote:

but it sounds like you're having fun.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Yeah, sorta like Rasputin as he scoffed at the poison that they gave him in his drink and downed it with zeal
shocked.gif
. He too only proved that it did no harm. Not a true test of the poison's worth.
grin.gif

Gary after 3 days and almost tank empty, i have seen some white smoke and blue **** coming outta my engine so that means my pistons had some gook in them , but they are getting cleaned up. Will continue to update.

The car has smoothed out a lot tho.

I used to own a massively sludged Plymouth Acclaim with the Mitsu 3.0, pre BITOG. The thing left a ghost at every stop light. I wish I had known about ARX back then b/c it had about an inch of baked on oil sludge on the cylinder heads. Probably from previous owners running it low on oil I suspect.

I replaced the valve seals myself (oh what a pain) and sold it before the problem came back.

I hated working on that engine. All that said, it ran pretty good for 125,000 miles.

Yes, it is an "oddball" to do anything to outside of plugs and filters. Luckily it usually doesn't need anything for over 100k miles. Mine started fogging when idling waiting for my daughter at the DMV testing site (our third trip for her to take the computer test to get her permit). It was fairly hot and I had the air on. That was at 131k IIRC. Otherwise, aside from consuming oil after 3k ..and a little valve train ticking ...it was pretty much trouble free for 13 years.

quote:

Originally posted by rauljimenez:
i decided to put it in my car in the parking lot, a guy was passing me and saw ATF going through my gasoline tank and he was like " Dude what the **** are you doing?"

OMG!! The very same thing happened to me at the Walmart where I bought the MMO and ATF. Right as I was adding it to the truck's tank, the guy who owned the SUV next to me comes out and asks what the H*** I'm doing. No matter what I said, he just thought I was an idiot... and you know...
gr_eek2.gif
fruit.gif

he might be right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back