List your favorite Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1----Havoline----

I have always used only Havoline. Recently I have just switched to Mobil 1 SS.

#2----Mobil 1 SS----

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
1.Amsoil
2.German Castrol
3.Delvac 1300
4.Pennzoil Long Life
5.John Deere +50

Hey neat. I was just looking at the John Deere +50 on the web today. Looks like good stuff. I am currently using Valvoline Maxlife, but may try the Valvoline fleet oil next summer to get a 15w40.

1. Mobil1 15w50
2. Chevron Supreme / Havoline
3. Chevron Delo 400 15w40
4. Catrol HM 10w30*
5. Any SF rated oil from Wal-Mart

* Will be trying this oil over this coming winter for a 5-6K run on my 96 Saturn. Will post UOA. May make this list permantently if all goes well.

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
"Extra Virgin Olive Oil." I've never understood that. Olives don't score, so how can they be virgins or non-virgins? And what's up with "extra" virgin? Isn't that like being "semi-pregnant?"

I always thought that virgin olive oil was made from olives without pits (assuming that the ones with pits had been, well, huh, violated).
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
"Extra Virgin Olive Oil." I've never understood that. Olives don't score, so how can they be virgins or non-virgins? And what's up with "extra" virgin? Isn't that like being "semi-pregnant?"

grin.gif
Extra virgin = Runner on first!

Back to the topic:

1)M1 10w-30
2)Quaker state Full Syn 5w-30
3)M1 0w-40
4)D1 5w-40 (haven't used it but I want to)

Has anyone heard of Texas Refinery and where could I find some? My father used to get TR from a distributor (15w-40, best oil I've ever used) but we can no longer get it. It was a fleet deisel oil with excellent cleaning capabilities, blue/green in color, and made my old 454 run beautiful. It was also known as TR or TRS, something like that.

1. Mobil 1 10w-30 what I use in my new car
2. Castrol GTX 20w-50 what I use in my old cars and have used for 30 years.
3. Delo 400 15w-40 what I am trying out in my sons
car with excellent results.
4. Chevron 10w-30 dino What I am now using for an auto-rx treatment in my 250,000 mile toyota that seems to cut consumption, increase power and cost $1.08 at walmart.
grin.gif

In no specific order:

1. Amsoil
2. GC (haven't used it yet, but gave some of my stock to my dad)
3. RedLine (for my motorcycle only)
4. Schaeffer's
5. Castrol GTX
6. Penzoil

And this one is still pending (I'll know by the end of the year):
7. BradPenn - If it works out, it'll knock Penzoil and Castrol GTX off the list.

QS is ok, real popular down here in heat country, the old timers love to run the straight 30s and 40wts. I say why go qs when you can buy pennzoil at the same price (specs are better in almost every catagory)...I assume same base oil not sure though.

Totally ditto that..maybe except that I like the Redline a little better than the M1.
quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Favorite for whatever reason. Doesn't have to be the "best" oil or even an oil you have used. Can be based on anything that makes it your favorite. This is so korny but who cares.
grin.gif

Here are mine, (for now)

1. Amsoil ASL/ATM
2. Mobil 1 10w-30
3. Redline (questionable but for now)
4. Pennzoil
5. Chevron Supreme
6. German Castrol

quote:

Originally posted by harper:
Chevron Supreme $1.09 @ Walmart and decent by your results shown here......

You gettin' screwed man....it's $1.08 at the wallies around here.

in no specific order

1. chevron delo
2. Pennzoil long life
3. chevron supreme

synthetic..german castrol

[ November 20, 2003, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

I spend about $1,000.00 per year on lubricants and fluids, so I like to go with the outlet that has good service, prices and a friendly staff.
Right now I'm buying a lot of Pet Can products, but sometimes their prices suck.
Chevron's prices are slightly better, but sometimes I wonder about their oil's cold flow numbers, and the product selection is sometimes limited.
The Esso guys are very ambitious, prices are better, products are good, and the guys put up with our train whistle blowing all day long, up to 30 each way per day.
The Shell guy helped with lubricant selection for the steam engine (CN 2141) just retired and I have not met the new owner.
Costco has 20 litre pails of Castrol Super RX 15W40, now CI-4 rated $8.00 cheaper than the other guys listed above.

2 stroke MX bikes and 115 HP outboard: Shell Advance ultra at 38:1
2 stroke chain saws 85CC Husky Aero Shell 15W50 or Chevron 20W50 aero at 40:1
Bar lube and air filter oil: Non-drip 150, vis-tac, ect.
Camshaft assembly lube: Chevron moly max (5%)
Auto wheel bearings: Pet Can Precision Gold, its about a 1.5 LBCG.
Motorcycle chassis, bearings, headsets Pet-Can OG-1, Calcium Sulfonate. GC-LB
Bicycle applications, OG-0, or Gold EP 00.
MX 2-stroke transmissions Eaton: PS-081 CD 50s.
MX 4 stroke transmissions/engine: Cat synthetic TO-4s
Road bike wet clutch/trans/engine HDMO CF-2s 40s and 50s.
MX forks R+O 15-32s, shocks; synthetic compressor fluids/ R+O blend to an ISO 17-22ish.
Auto and PU rear-ends the cheapest 80w90, and 75W90 (PC group II+) or the expensive Chevron RPM 75W90. I ain't putting good stuff in a beater.
Power steering pumps; AW32s or ATF.
Chassis lube: moly something.
Car an PU engines: HDMO CI-4s 10W30, 0W30s 5W40s and 0W40s for cold weather either Delo, Duron, XD-3, and/or Rotella.
CI-4s 15W40s and CF-2 straight grade 30, 40, and 50s for warm and hot weather.
MTFs: All season THFs (GL-4s) where ATF is recommended.
10W30 or synthetic HDMOs where engine oils are recommended, CD50 commercial truck MTL, or GL-5 75W90s that pass A-1 copper strip.
I don't think one brand is any better than the next, although some typicals may be better suited for particular applications.
That is where customer service comes into play.
(not dial a friend, lubricant information and tech lines are not ment for oil nut-cases and chat-talk)

Castrol GTX 5w20 for my Ranger and Chevron Supreme (or new Havoline) 5w30 for my wife's Cavalier. I have some M1 0w20 I'm gonna try in the Ranger since it is not garaged and winter is fast approaching.

Let's See:

Engine
1) Mobil 1 10W30
2) Mobil Blend 10W30
3) Honda 5W20
4) Motorcraft 10W30

Transmission
1) Honda MTF
2) Motorcraft Mercon V

Differential
1)Schaeffer's 267 80W90
2)Motorcraft 75W140