Liqui Moly Longtime High Tech 5W30 opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this be a good oil to use in a 2012 Tacoma with the 1GR-FE? This truck still specs a 5W30. I can get a good deal on this oil at my local napa where I get a discount. I can't seem to find any recent uoas on it. Opinions? It is SM whereas technically I am supposed to use an SN oil, but I am not so much worried about that. Also, for those using the free Toyota maintenance, my dealer told me they use whatever bulk 5w30 they get, not Toyota brand lube. Thanks.

Why not use your napa discount to get a UOA kit and do a VOA for us? I cant really say one way or another...

That's right.you can use your napa discount to get a UOA kit and do a VOA for us

Thanks for the replies. I did find some UOAs and it does not look like this oil has really any moly in it. I did a change of the FF at 1500 miles and replaced it with PYB. I was hoping to find a synthetic with a similiar amount of moly but it looks like I am out of luck. At this point I am leaning towards make a Caterham style mix as the Toyota 0w-20 has tons of moly. What do you guys think--three and a half quarts of Mobil 0w-40 and two of Toyota 0w-20? Either that or just plain old PU.

Caterham,
That is really interesting. Is that for Canada only? I would love to use Toyota 0W-20 but the oil cap still says 5W-30 as does the owners manual. The docs I have seen in the US state only the 4 cylinder uses the 0w-20. I will see what else I can come up with. I know the "Toyota care" stuff I got in the mail also says 5w-30 conventional.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I went ahead and just used PU. The engine seems to like it. For some reason Toyota does not say it is ok to use 0w-20 in this engine in the US, or at least they can't get their story straight. All I know is the owners manual says 5W-30, the oil cap says 5W-30, and when I stopped to pick up the OE filter I talked to the service manager and after looking up the info on my truck and he said it spec'd 5W-30. So, for now I am good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back