Lighter oil than OEM recommends?

So I'm reading through the whitepapers here and came across this paragraph:
Generally, engine manufacturers are now recommending lighter engine oils in both parts of the grade (i.e. choosing 0W20 over 5W30). One of the main reasons for this is because both oils are still going to be much thicker than the target operational viscosity at start-up, so if they can start out thinner, it will reach the operational viscosity window faster and consume less energy. This translates into better fuel economy. Engine oils will continue to be optimized lower and lower with engines designed to run on a 6 cSt oil instead of a 10 cSt oil at operating temperature in order to save fuel. While this is a good thing for everyone, these oils often require more complex formulas and better quality base oils.
I have a 15-year-old vehicle with 100k miles. Should the above be considered when choosing an oil for a vehicle of this age, or is that mainly considered for truly antique cars? For example, my OEM recommends 10W30 dino oil; does that grade in 2005 translate to a 5W20 synthetic in 2020?

I have a 15-year-old vehicle with 100k miles. Should the above be considered when choosing an oil for a vehicle of this age, or is that mainly considered for truly antique cars? For example, my OEM recommends 10W30 dino oil; does that grade in 2005 translate to a 5W20 synthetic in 2020?

Spec for my 2004 Corolla is 5w-30 and last winter I ran 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum HM in it. Amazing it hasn't caught on fire or fell into the ground yet!

Nothing any thinner than xW-30 will be used in my vehicles ... HTHS > 3.0 is my goal for fuzziness. Fuel economy ... bah, just drive mellow for 10 more minutes than you typically drive on that tank of gas and you just made up for that mpg savings you would have had with a thinner oil.

BMW M series is 10w60 but seen alot of 0w40 for winter use. Redline sometimes recommend to drop a grade as they run thicker. Of course many vehicles are running 0w30/0w20 in cars that once called for 5w20 5w30.

Nothing any thinner than xW-30 will be used in my vehicles ... HTHS > 3.0 is my goal for fuzziness. Fuel economy ... bah, just drive mellow for 10 more minutes than you typically drive on that tank of gas and you just made up for that mpg savings you would have had with a thinner oil.
Yeah, it's a Jeep, there's no fixing the gas mileage. 😂 I'm mostly just concerned with having an oil that's still in spec for the vehicle considering modern oil chemistry.

I would stick with the 10w-30 as is specified. I would not go lighter unless I were to encounter very low temperatures. 5W-20 was around in 2005 and could have been spec'd if the manufacturer felt it was needed. DINO or synthetic blend is up to you.

While many cars that spec 10W-30 would be just fine with a 20 grade synthetic I would stick to a 30 grade in either 0W, 5W or 10W winter ratings. Exceptions do exist and without some indication from the manufacturer you have no way of knowing if your engine is one of the exceptions.

My old Ram in signature is specd. for 10W30. I have been running Rotella Multi Vehicle 5W30 Full Synthetic now for the last 3 years with zero issues. Next up when my stash of RMV 5W30 is gone -- Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 Full Synthetic will be used for years moving forward with my Advance Auto Parts grab when on sale recently.

I have that same engine
I bought the Jeep new in 1994
Use a high quality 5w or 10w30 either dino or conventional and 5k oil changes
That is a great motor and will last a long time

BMW M series is 10w60 but seen alot of 0w40 for winter use. Redline sometimes recommend to drop a grade as they run thicker. Of course many vehicles are running 0w30/0w20 in cars that once called for 5w20 5w30.

That was only on the ****ty E46 M3 due to poorly designed engine bearings. All newer M cars use 0W30.

Ok, besides replacing the AMC straight 6 with a minivan motor, there's no fixing the gas mileage. :)

Nonsense. 0W-20 will make it get 35MPG and last 500,000 miles! 🙂

btw. About the minivan motor.. My 3.3L 2003 GC SE Sport was quite fast for minivan. I sometimes wish I still had it.

Nonsense. 0W-20 will make it get 35MPG and last 500,000 miles! 🙂

btw. About the minivan motor.. My 3.3L 2003 GC SE Sport was quite fast for minivan. I sometimes wish I still had it.
I've got some Summit Racing decals coming in the mail; those are sure to add at least 5 hp!

Back